Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2015 9:06:26 PM EDT
I don't want to disclose much at the moment. A group of my friends went in to the studio last year to record and have their album mixed. A year later, they have some lower quality mixes (some aren't bad) and the people at the studio refuse to talk to them. Anyway, they spent a good amount of money for this stuff and have received jack-fucking-shit in return.

When they asked for the files, they were given the files in multiple .zip's, some of which contain corrupt files. None of the .wav's have any time stamp information either. What it seems like is this guy has been taking advantage of them from the beginning. I wont' disclose his name here, since I guess I'm 'in the same business' as the guy and don't really feel it's ethical to do so.

I'm not charging my buds anything for this. I told them it's going to be a project and that it will probably take a few months to complete.

If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm mainly doing some light venting about this as I can't believe how my friends have been treated.

I won't disclose who the band is until we've seen if we can secure all of the files, either. Right now there are some essential files that 'just so happen' to be corrupted. Sigh.

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, that sucks. I hate all the sharks that lurk in the music business. I wish you and your friends luck.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#2]
That really does suck! I've been on two sides of that equation before (musician and hired hand to fix/mix/remix sessions) just never the guy that screwed a client like that.

Good luck on repairing the damage and building some great mixes!
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:47:38 PM EDT
[#3]
There are some really odd practices done in these mixes. Using a mono mix bus track that is panned all the way to the left while the bass DI track is on the right on every track?

Just odd.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Uhm....that is really odd especially if that was the final mix. I've done something similar to that with a bass mix bus panned hard one way or the other in order to listen to the center of a mix while still hearing the bass in the mix. But I've never had a final mix leave like that.

On second thought, the only reasoning I would have for creating a final mix like that is if I were working on a project that I wanted to sound in the vein of early stereo recording and/or low budget first albums (think some Beatles and certainly "Suzie Q" from CCR). But I have a feeling that you're not working on a project like that.

Out of curiosity, what's in the mix bus track that is panned hard left?
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:32:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Uhm....that is really odd especially if that was the final mix. I've done something similar to that with a bass mix bus panned hard one way or the other in order to listen to the center of a mix while still hearing the bass in the mix. But I've never had a final mix leave like that.

On second thought, the only reasoning I would have for creating a final mix like that is if I were working on a project that I wanted to sound in the vein of early stereo recording and/or low budget first albums (think some Beatles and certainly "Suzie Q" from CCR). But I have a feeling that you're not working on a project like that.

Out of curiosity, what's in the mix bus track that is panned hard left?
View Quote

Everything else. Drums, vocals, guitars.

It really doesn't make any sense at all.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow.....that is odd.

So maybe the guy was trying to find an odd freq in the bass DI that causing an issue in the mix (maybe putting a freq analyzer on each side to compare). Maybe he was working on a mono grot box....

Strange technique but it might be useful when working on a mix recorded in a different place. Not the way I would go about things but to each their own I guess.

Good luck and I'd be interested to know if you, while mixing, figure out the guys thought process for doing this.....especially if it's a useful technique!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Wow.....that is odd.

So maybe the guy was trying to find an odd freq in the bass DI that causing an issue in the mix (maybe putting a freq analyzer on each side to compare). Maybe he was working on a mono grot box....

Strange technique but it might be useful when working on a mix recorded in a different place. Not the way I would go about things but to each their own I guess.

Good luck and I'd be interested to know if you, while mixing, figure out the guys thought process for doing this.....especially if it's a useful technique!!
View Quote

Will do. I hadn't considered isolating the bass to find a trouble frequency, but he also did it on an instrumental track.

Very bizarre.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Bizarre indeed....

Maybe during tracking he just used the same template for every song and he never got to finish these up (or you didn't get his final mixes). Or maybe this was his way of starting a new session and check levels.

Nonetheless, it doesn't sound like this is an engineer/mixer and/or studio I'd want to work with.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Bizarre indeed....

Maybe during tracking he just used the same template for every song and he never got to finish these up (or you didn't get his final mixes). Or maybe this was his way of starting a new session and check levels.

Nonetheless, it doesn't sound like this is an engineer/mixer and/or studio I'd want to work with.
View Quote

You know, that's probably it. I received a bunch of .ptx files and I chose the ones from the last day they recorded. I can't imagine they tracked bass last, but maybe that's what the band wanted to do. Let me ask the band.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:35:43 AM EDT
[#10]
As you said, I highly doubt that they tracked the bass last.

So what are yout thoughts now on it after having time to work on the mixes? I am very curious as to why they would leave the last saved .ptx files the way they did!!

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

So what are yout thoughts now on it after having time to work on the mixes? I am very curious as to why they would leave the last saved .ptx files the way they did!!

View Quote

I really don't understand the bass thing. I also don't understand why he had any buses set up since the .ptx I took were from the last save of the recording session.

It's like he was preparing to use bus compression on the drums before determining if they even needed them. Maybe he was taking a top down mixing perspective? I really don't know.

I've had to do a bunch of editing because the punch ins he set are in the worst possible spots and are noisy as hell. I really don't get what he was doing behind the screen.

The band had told me he was high on pills every session, so that could be it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I really don't understand the bass thing. I also don't understand why he had any buses set up since the .ptx I took were from the last save of the recording session.

It's like he was preparing to use bus compression on the drums before determining if they even needed them. Maybe he was taking a top down mixing perspective? I really don't know.

I've had to do a bunch of editing because the punch ins he set are in the worst possible spots and are noisy as hell. I really don't get what he was doing behind the screen.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he was on opiates, that explains a lot, because they screw with your hearing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:45:39 AM EDT
[#13]
That does seem to gel with what I'm hearing from what he's done so far along with what they've told me about the guy.

I'm having to do so much editing to this music. Not because there are tons of timing mistakes (there are a few, but nothing outside of normal performance vs time allotted to perform the task) but because there are tons of random clicks and pops.

So far I've just worked on a hand full of songs so I can get adjusted to the workflow requirements. Having to listen to each track individually for pops and clicks that blend in with the waveform is insane. Normal guitar track, no cuts where pops would normally be and... there are just dozens of pops and clicks. Nothing is peaking. The pops just sort of exist. Sometimes I can remove them, sometimes I can't. Luckily, they haven't been audible in the mix, or I can do slight adjustments to volume in certain spots in the tracks to make them inaudible in the mix.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That does seem to gel with what I'm hearing from what he's done so far along with what they've told me about the guy.

I'm having to do so much editing to this music. Not because there are tons of timing mistakes (there are a few, but nothing outside of normal performance vs time allotted to perform the task) but because there are tons of random clicks and pops.

So far I've just worked on a hand full of songs so I can get adjusted to the workflow requirements. Having to listen to each track individually for pops and clicks that blend in with the waveform is insane. Normal guitar track, no cuts where pops would normally be and... there are just dozens of pops and clicks. Nothing is peaking. The pops just sort of exist. Sometimes I can remove them, sometimes I can't. Luckily, they haven't been audible in the mix, or I can do slight adjustments to volume in certain spots in the tracks to make them inaudible in the mix.
View Quote

So its been a week. What kinds of pops and clicks are you dealing with? Punch in/out or clipping due to bad converters type stuff?

Overall, hows the project going and have you been able to figure out what was in this guys head when he screwed over your friends?
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 11:19:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
So its been a week. What kinds of pops and clicks are you dealing with? Punch in/out or clipping due to bad converters type stuff?

Overall, hows the project going and have you been able to figure out what was in this guys head when he screwed over your friends?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me get you a sample of what I'm talking about.

It's not punch in and our OR clipping.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 11:31:51 PM EDT
[#16]
If it's random clicks and pops, he may have just had levels too high in his DAW. The first time I used Reaper I had this problem.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 11:33:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Alright, here's a section of the upload. The 'clipping' occurs in the center of it.

Here's one of the many occurrences of clipping on every single track. None happen at the same time and they don't occur on all tracks, but they are there.

So far, none have been impossible to remove. I really don't know what I'm going to do if it happens on a fantastic vocal take. It doesn't occur where you think it will on the wave form.

Link Posted: 5/31/2015 11:51:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

If it's random clicks and pops, he may have just had levels too high in his DAW. The first time I used Reaper I had this problem.
View Quote

On the waveform, it actually dips below. It's also more of a digital fizzle or a faulty cable than a click or pop.

Although, there are a few clicks and pops as well.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:29:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

On the waveform, it actually dips below. It's also more of a digital fizzle or a faulty cable than a click or pop.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, after listening to the clip I think you're right. It does sound like a little fuzz from a cable or other connection, or the computer doing something that caused it digitally.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#20]
That is not the type of pops and clicks I expected to hear (which can usually be cleaned up with some pluggins)....

That is also not bad cable noise.....although it is very similar.

No sir....that to me is the sound of digital jitter caused by any number of things (bad power, bad master clock between interfaces, bad interface, etc). It's not digital "distortion" due to overdriving the interface.

Worse yet, there is no good way to clean that up. You can bury it, but if occurs during a guitar solo or best vocal take, well....you're in a bad spot.

I'm sorry to say, but if you have that all over each track, you might want to think about recording the key parts again (vocals, leads, anything prominent). I would also think that your friends have grounds to get their money back due to a faulty product.

But beyond that, how's it sound in the big picture (minus that noise)? I recently finished a mix of a live recording for a friend of mine on the East coast, and since I don't have another project at the moment, I have to read stories of mix experiences instead.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 9:22:05 PM EDT
[#21]
So far I've been able to clean it up well enough. Those that I can't fit in the mix well.

I'll post a sample this weekend. I don't know if they want any of the stuff out there too much yet.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:16:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Certainly interested in hearing a sample of it and hearing how your were able to mix around the distortions....
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Certainly interested in hearing a sample of it and hearing how your were able to mix around the distortions....
View Quote

Absolutely!

So, today I'm working on a song called Pillars. I've done some of what I call 'essential' EQ'ng and compression before editing. My belief is that if I can't hear it clicks, blops, bleeps, crunches, or any otherwise negative sound in an OK mix, it's not worth the time to edit out. Granted, as I do some more mixing work, that may change, but here's the basis for what I'm working with.

NOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The FIRST SAMPLE is very quiet. It's my mixing level. My thought here is, if it sounds good quiet, it sounds good loud (it doesn't always apply, but it's a very good starting point for mixing and finding what does and doesn't work for a song). TURN UP your volume to hear the dzzt. It's on the left channel. It's audible enough to make me want to remove it.

AGAIN WARNING! PLEASE REMEMBER TO TURN UP YOUR VOLUME SLOWLY. THE NEXT TRACK WILL START >RIGHT AWAY<  SO PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!!

TURN DOWN YOUR VOLUME FOR THE REST!!!!

In the above, you can clearly hear the bzzt on the left channel TWICE! This was originally just one bzzt but, due to editing to fix timing issues, I have created two of them (I duplicated the segments).

Here is the guitar track by itself.

https://soundcloud.com/credge/lone-buzz-track

The edit is a little rough. You can clearly hear where I chunked two parts together. However, in the mix? It's in time AND adds a little bit of humanity to it. Again, what matters is if it works in the mix at the end.

Here is the FIXED guitar track.

If you don't have a reference for where those buzzes are, it's hard to tell where I edited it. All I did was take a previous segment that didn't have it (we're talking about a very small amount of time here) and just cut out the bad, pasted in the good, and faded one in while fading the other out. The fades are super fast but are essential to keeping that 'glued' together sound.

Note: I'm not a pro at this, so the edits are still going to be a bit rough. But, in the mix?

And here's everything together again.

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Here's a picture reference. You see the waveform for the entire clip in the video. You can see the various chunks I've cut and paste.

The below is a section of the waveform that shows the very fast fade ins and outs. The highlighted section here is where the bzzt was. The section on the left is the sample I took the 'clean' part from.

Link Posted: 6/6/2015 9:59:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Well after finally getting time to sit and listen, I have to say that you did a great job of being able to mask that noise/distortion/whatever. After your edits and hardwork, I can not hear the noise at all...and I listened through everything on hand (headphones via a VRM box through every setting and bypassed, headphones via the stock soundcard, crappy computer speakers, and through a pair of KRK Rokit 6s at low and high volume....what I have available to me at the moment). I didn't run it through my mastering chain though since it's not "source" material and I didn't want any artifacts to color my thoughts.

Very good job and looking forward to hearing some full mixes when you get the job done....and the permission to share/link to!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 10:34:36 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm still editing to tighten up the guitar timing, but it's coming along nicely.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 9:00:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Update:
To get some fresh ears, I've started work on the other tracks. In particular I'm working on one called "Call of the Lumberjack". The first half is very nice, clean, subtle.

The problem? Every single guitar track, all of which have different tones and effects, all have TONS of clicks. It's disheartening. I'm tempted to tell them to get all of their money back. Some of this stuff just isn't usable. At all.

ETA: They're even present on his mix samples. Holy hell.

ETA2: All tracks have them present in the same locations. This is a new revelation. They recorded it all one take at a time, one player at a time. I kind of think these tracks were tampered with now.

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Update:

To get some fresh ears, I've started work on the other tracks. In particular I'm working on one called "Call of the Lumberjack". The first half is very nice, clean, subtle.
The problem? Every single guitar track, all of which have different tones and effects, all have TONS of clicks. It's disheartening. I'm tempted to tell them to get all of their money back. Some of this stuff just isn't usable. At all.

ETA2: All tracks have them present in the same locations. This is a new revelation. They recorded it all one take at a time, one player at a time. I kind of think these tracks were tampered with now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Update:

What was he using for a board or interface?

I've seen this exact same thing happen when recording through a Mackie Onyx Firewire board.  All the guitar tracks had the same kind of popping and clicking.  I can't remember if the problem was ever identified, if it was the board internals or just how it was set up with the DAW.

But it wouldn't surprise me if it was the interface.

If not that, it is possible that the engineer was just doing really shitty punch-ins, not crossfading them, and then bouncing them down and that's what you now have.

Really though, WHY it is happening isn't that important.  You now have really shitty source material to work with, and you can only do so much.  At some point you hit a diminishing returns issue, and you can also "fix" the tracks so much that you remove all the popping and clicking but the end result just sounds lame.

I agree with you, they should probably demand their money back and start over.

ETA:

Quoted:

Wait a second...just re-read this part.  This has got to be something in the DAW.  Like maybe when he bounced down a whole session these artifacts were introduced.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Update:

View Quote
http://www.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?a=quote&b=1&f=148&t=1748515&r=54057497&page=2#

It seems to be that either the individual tracks were tampered with or the clock was getting way off causing jitter (miraculously in a constant pattern).

I'm going to refer back to what I said a few weeks ago, the band needs to re record the tracks. And now - they need to demand ALL of their money back as the tracks are unusable by anyone.

Sorry to hear that this project went from bad to worse....
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 8:45:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?a=quote&b=1&f=148&t=1748515&r=54057497&page=2#

It seems to be that either the individual tracks were tampered with or the clock was getting way off causing jitter (miraculously in a constant pattern).

I'm going to refer back to what I said a few weeks ago, the band needs to re record the tracks. And now - they need to demand ALL of their money back as the tracks are unusable by anyone.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update:

Come to think of it, this happened to me with my old DAW.  The hard drive nuked shortly after.  I got a new custom built DAW with all the bells and whistles.  Never had the problem again.  Might be a decent chance that the artifacts were a result of interruptions writing them to the drive, or just using a shitty old computer and having clock issues/not enough processing power when bouncing everything down.

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Well, I have to say I've done a very good job of removing the noise out of the current track.

I'll post a non mixed before and after sample for you guys when I finish.

I need to go to their vocal tracks and listen for them. So far I've predominantly worked with more instrumental tracks.

Of note, none of the drum tracks have any of this noise. Just bass and guitar.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well, I have to say I've done a very good job of removing the noise out of the current track.

I need to go to their vocal tracks and listen for them. So far I've predominantly worked with more instrumental tracks.

View Quote

The fact that the drum tracks did not have the issues is kind of strange....but it depends on how they tracked everything. For example, kept the drum tracks from a live run run through and retracked all of the other parts. A lot of weird things at play on this one.

I'm very curious to hear about the vocal the vocals and how they turned out. And of course, I want to hear some samples.....I'm a glutton for pouring over these things and how good mixers and editors can turn crap into something good (I'm one of those heavy Tape Op readers...cover to cover man! I also enjoy reading product manuals to figure out ways around things) .

BTW.....I bought my last pack of smokes on Friday and, in working on breaking habits, I have been avoiding my normal smoking spots and smoking triggers (smoking trigger = my office/studio and work in general) so it took me awhile to respond back to this thread.....don't think that we have lost interest!
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 8:06:13 PM EDT
[#33]
good on you for helping your friends..

I am going through something similar with a group i play with…They are giving money out left and right to anyone at a festival who dangles the words "Ill record you" to them…It's all their own money, I told them earlier on that I won't be contributing financially…

It's pretty weird…festivals I've played at in the past they'd give the bands a copy of the soundboard..but now they are charging them for it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
The fact that the drum tracks did not have the issues is kind of strange....but it depends on how they tracked everything. For example, kept the drum tracks from a live run run through and retracked all of the other parts. A lot of weird things at play on this one.

I'm very curious to hear about the vocal the vocals and how they turned out. And of course, I want to hear some samples.....I'm a glutton for pouring over these things and how good mixers and editors can turn crap into something good (I'm one of those heavy Tape Op readers...cover to cover man! I also enjoy reading product manuals to figure out ways around things) .

BTW.....I bought my last pack of smokes on Friday and, in working on breaking habits, I have been avoiding my normal smoking spots and smoking triggers (smoking trigger = my office/studio and work in general) so it took me awhile to respond back to this thread.....don't think that we have lost interest!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good on you for trying to stop dude. I don't know from personal experience on how tough it can be, but I can only imagine. Especially when you get in to the habit of doing something with something else.

For me, I drink soda heavily when I mix. No idea why. I guess it's something to do. I've tried switching to water but it just doesn't do it for me.

Anyway, I've had a busy few weeks. My father was in town last week and I didn't have any time to mix music and this week has been busy stuff too. I did get to mix some today. I've been able to tighten up some areas very well. Wrong notes fixed, etc. The end of the song that I'm working on that has high energy has some timing issues that are going to be very hard to get right to maintain that 'wall' of guitar sound that I have going on for the rest of it.

Honestly, I've spent more time editing this song than mixing, although I have started mixing the beginning of the song as it's mostly different tracks. The guys also requested a specific song for me to finish first, so I'll have to take a break from what I'm doing on this song and work on that. It's a short minute or so long instrumental song that they're going to use for promo stuffs.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:43:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

good on you for helping your friends..

I am going through something similar with a group i play with…They are giving money out left and right to anyone at a festival who dangles the words "Ill record you" to them…It's all their own money, I told them earlier on that I won't be contributing financially…

It's pretty weird…festivals I've played at in the past they'd give the bands a copy of the soundboard..but now they are charging them for it.
View Quote

It is a weird phenomenon. There's another thread on the board here that has a discussion about live recording stuffs and I've had very limited experience with recording from the board. I've done it myself twice at a local place and we had it done once while we were on the road. The result wasn't bad, especially since it was never mixed. I'll have to see if my new band can get something like that going.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 1:05:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I have had clock issues result in clicks. They may have screwed up the master on all tracks but the drums.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 9:14:32 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I have had clock issues result in clicks. They may have screwed up the master on all tracks but the drums.
View Quote

Did you find a way to fix it that didn't involve rerecording everything or having to do massive editing?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Good on you for trying to stop dude. I don't know from personal experience on how tough it can be, but I can only imagine. Especially when you get in to the habit of doing something with something else.

For me, I drink soda heavily when I mix. No idea why. I guess it's something to do. I've tried switching to water but it just doesn't do it for me.

Anyway, I've had a busy few weeks. My father was in town last week and I didn't have any time to mix music and this week has been busy stuff too. I did get to mix some today. I've been able to tighten up some areas very well. Wrong notes fixed, etc. The end of the song that I'm working on that has high energy has some timing issues that are going to be very hard to get right to maintain that 'wall' of guitar sound that I have going on for the rest of it.

Honestly, I've spent more time editing this song than mixing, although I have started mixing the beginning of the song as it's mostly different tracks. The guys also requested a specific song for me to finish first, so I'll have to take a break from what I'm doing on this song and work on that. It's a short minute or so long instrumental song that they're going to use for promo stuffs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man....it has been a rough road.......but better than quitting cold turkey! As I said before.....I try to stay away from anything that I used to associate with smoking (even though I never smoke in my office/studio, it is a trigger). I'm used to working for a while and step outside for a break and a smoke. Then I would return, work for a while, and take another break. I've also been staying away from websites, forums, topics, anything that I associate with smoking (music has been hard considering how many years music, smoking, and beer went hand in hand for me). But none the less, it has been getting easier......day by day.....tomorrow morning will be two weeks without a smoke.

Anyways, how are the mixes coming along? As you get deeper are the glitches any better or are they even across eveything other than the drums?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Did you find a way to fix it that didn't involve rerecording everything or having to do massive editing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I still had all the original tracks and (I think!) changed master clock setting. IIRC it was a MOTU 2408. This was probably 10 years ago!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Things are going kind of slow at the moment. I got a 6 week old puppy over the weekend and he's been a hand full in a good way. Haven't had any time to mix.

I'm looking forward to continuing soon.

As far as those blips, bleeps, bloops, and other odd sounds that occur, I've got a pretty good system down for removing them. I was incorrect in thinking that they all occurred in the same place on all tracks except for the drums. However, it's been a decent rule of thumb. There are some tracks that don't have any at all on them and others that have more.

With certainty, though, any dual mic'd guitar tracks have them on both tracks at the same time. They don't seem to occur in any non-double tracked tracks so I'm wondering if the dudes PC can't handle tracking multiple things at once.

Either way, I have a very good procedure for removing those bits. One thing I want to do is make a youtube video to show exactly what I'm doing now. It's pretty much the same as I showed earlier but with some time management things that help make the process turn in to a minute long job instead of a five minute one.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:24:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Update:

A few days ago we finally received the last of the files. Today and yesterday the singer and guitar player came to my place and we started mixing two of the songs. They want lots of verb, so I've given them lots of verb. Overall it's not bad for a few days but it still needs some work (some clipping in places). These aren't the name of the songs.

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#42]
1) Nice job.
2) Great job with the snare.  His cymbals sound pretty rough...not sure if it was the mic selection or the quality of his cymbals or both.
3) That much reverb on the drums and guitars and such sounds nice for their style of music, but that much reverb on the vocals sounds bad.  It takes the recording from sounding like it was recorded nicely in a big live room to making it sound like someone recorded their buddies band as they played live on their high school gym stage and stood at the back with a microphone and a handheld recorder.  IMO, that is waaaaaaay too much reverb on the vocals.  Just my 2 cents.  Vocals drive music, and they should be up front and pop...that much reverb kills vocals.

ETA: Oh and I am correct in assuming they did not record to a click?  Either that or on Boopface drummer gets ahead of it and then slows back down and catches it on the breaks.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

1) Nice job.

2) Great job with the snare.  His cymbals sound pretty rough...not sure if it was the mic selection or the quality of his cymbals or both.

3) That much reverb on the drums and guitars and such sounds nice for their style of music, but that much reverb on the vocals sounds bad.  It takes the recording from sounding like it was recorded nicely in a big live room to making it sound like someone recorded their buddies band as they played live on their high school gym stage and stood at the back with a microphone and a handheld recorder.  IMO, that is waaaaaaay too much reverb on the vocals.  Just my 2 cents.  Vocals drive music, and they should be up front and pop...that much reverb kills vocals.

ETA: Oh and I am correct in assuming they did not record to a click?  Either that or on Boopface drummer gets ahead of it and then slows back down and catches it on the breaks.
View Quote

The cymbals are very very very bright and a bit too loud. I'm assuming they used the same drum equipment for when they do live stuff so I know how to fix it without much issue. He has super bright sounding cymbals that cut like crazy and I've cut a few db out of the highs when running sound for them live.

They really want that much verb on the vocals. They also want the vocals to sit back in the mix a bit. Most of their songs are instrumental or mostly instrumental on this album. They will be rerecording entire vocals for songs (the one with the vocals that we mixed is one) in the near future as the pilled out engineer they had before was rushing them through the process.

They also played through a click but the drummer is still new to doing it so you have a bit of drag and catch up on some of the songs (luckily he drags instead of speeds up) I haven't had the chance to go through and correct time on the drums for that song or the other yet, but it's coming.

And thank you. I spent a bunch of time getting that snare to sound just so. We went through and did the drums first and, as the mix progressed, it just didn't cut through, so I spent about an hour tweaking it while he was at the store to get it to have a good sizzle without making the verb make me hate my ears.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top