Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2015 8:51:39 PM EDT
I need a suggestion about where to begin.

I finally took out my guitar again after ten years that it hasn't even been out of the case, and twenty since it was last seriously played.

I need suggestions about where to start. I goofed off for a few hours the other night and have a very little muscle memory left, but I've forgotten most of what I knew.

There's this horrendous fret buzz in the 6th string. The other five strings tuned just fine, but the whole set is getting replaced this weekend.

Apart from fixing that buzz (and recommendations of a Denver-area luthier would be very nice) what should I do first?

Anyway, since gear pr0n is the most important thing, the guitar itself is a 1991 or 1992 Hamer Chaparral, plugged into a Randall RG-140 combo amp, 100W/1x12", no effects. Strings are D'Addario .009, but I'm toying with trying something different with the new set, just because. Pics would be forthcoming except Photobucket is being mean to me right now. It definitely is better gear than I am a player.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:35:07 PM EDT
[#1]
The first thing I would do is take it to a pro and have it set up properly. Not doing so is putting yourself at a disadvantage for no reason. Of course you said you were looking for a luthier.

Then just start practising everyday. Get ready for sore fingers and cramped hands again! Welcome back.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:11:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome back. I gave it up for about 16 years. I would only drag my Paul out a few times a year I sold it to buy parts for a corvette project I was working on at the time. Was guitarless for about 7 years. I got saved and the Lord called me back into music..I had lost all desire to play again before this...swore I would never play again. It was a long road back and health problems keep fighting me but I now have a reason to play that goes way beyond making extra money.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know anything about Denver, but go around to the guitar shops and ask around about luthiers. You'll find one.

As far as getting back into things goes, check out www.justinguitar.com for free lessons, or pay sites like www.jamplay.com, www.guitartricks.com or others if you want to see higher production values in the videos. And actually, if you follow this link, guitar tricks and Seymour Duncan is doing a 30 day promo/pedal giveaway (no credit card numbers needed, just sign up for an account with your junk email account) https://www.guitartricks.com/v2/seymourduncan.php . I signed up for it tonight and I've got full access to the site.

Plus there are gobs of random lessons on YouTube for damn near anything you can think of. I also like to use www.all-guitar-chords.com when I need to look up schales, chords and other stuff. Just select your tuning, key, ect from the drop down menus. Oh, and if you have a smart phone, use PitchLab Lite (I don't care for the Pro version). It's a tuner app that has several different versions of tuners built in. It seem to be fairly accurate too, or at least as accurate as my Snark tuners.

And you mentioned strings. I've sworn by Dean Markley Blue Steel strings for years. They don't break and they stay bright longer than some others.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:22:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Drumcityguitarland

Address: 9225 W 44th Ave, Wheat Ridge, CO 80033

Phone:(303) 421-4515

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top