Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2015 1:28:30 PM EDT
I've never owned one.  Never played through one.  I've owned a variety of tube amps over the years played through 4x12 cabinets but sold those off and am down to a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo.  Now I'm looking for another amp.

How are the Line 6 and Peavey Vypyr amps?   Basement playing mainly, with perhaps a little recording.

My last SS amp was a Marshall AVT combo that I bought about 10-12 years ago-- and it sucked.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#1]
UPDATE:  Just played through a friends Line 6 and didn't like it.  I've got an ear for digital and just don't like it.

Off to look at new tube amps and buy the wife and kids some earplugs.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't forget about the Fender Mustang Also
here's the 2 you were talking about.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:57:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I will have to cast my vote for tube amps. There is a reason all solid state/hybrid amps and overdrive pedals claim to emulate a tube amp, because everyone knows they really are better and that's what everyone wants.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

UPDATE:  Just played through a friends Line 6 and didn't like it.  I've got an ear for digital and just don't like it.

View Quote
If you don't need a boat load of watts try a SuperChamp XD . It is kind of a tube/modeling amp. Preamp and power section is tubes.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you don't need a boat load of watts try a SuperChamp XD . It is kind of a tube/modeling amp. Preamp and power section is tubes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I forgot about the Super Champ. It's a stellar amp, you can't go wrong with it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:29:16 PM EDT
[#6]
This is what I'm seeing in use tonight, Kemper Profiling Amp:

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 5:32:31 AM EDT
[#7]
When it comes to modeling, I like software for laying down demos, but other than that, I prefer tube amps.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Line 6 sucks. If you want a really good modeling amp, get a Fender Mustang v2. I have one and it sounds great. Buy either the 1x12 or the 2x12.

That said, the reason I bought that is because I can't afford a Mesa Triple Rectifier.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u597/ttex13/image.jpg1_zpsndjckrm1.jpg

View Quote

Fuck I want one so bad.

OP, for what it's worth, modeling amps can not be turned up or eq'd line a tube amp. Turn the highs down when turning the volume up.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Fuck I want one so bad.

OP, for what it's worth, modeling amps can not be turned up or eq'd line a tube amp. Turn the highs down when turning the volume up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u597/ttex13/image.jpg1_zpsndjckrm1.jpg

Fuck I want one so bad.

I had one for a couple of weeks.

Meh... to each his or her own. I'll take a sweet tube head over a modeler (or profiler in the KPA's case) any day. My favorite modeler has been the Vox Tonelab LE. I've had two of them and still have one. But it's got a tube in it. My favorite purely digital modeler was my Eleven Rack. The user interface is very amp-like. Fractal needs to take a page from the Avid book and get a user interface like that going for guys who are loath to leave their tube amps. I played through rack gear throughout the 90s and grew very tired of constant patch editing/saving for every different live room that we played. My fingers got more workouts tweaking my tone than they did actually playing. With tube amps... it's RONCO "set it and forget it" during a quick sound check. I.T. is my day job. I don't wanna spend all night dicking with technology. I just wanna play and be inspired. Pushing buttons sucks the life right out of me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 6:15:14 PM EDT
[#11]
In giving it some more consideration, I think I need to get another Marshall.  I've had two different JCM 800s, a JVM 410, and had a loaner DSL 50 for a while as well.  Other amps that have been in the stable include a Soldano Hot Rod? and a Mesa Dual Rectifier.  

I've always preferred the sound of the JCM 800, but the amp is just to loud.  I've run it with an attenuator and it makes it sounds bad.  I need a quiet JCM800.

Seeing the other thread on the Splawn makes me envious as well.

The Peavey 6505 combo does modern stuff pretty good, especially when plugged into a 412 cabinet.

I use to have two Orange 412s which I got rid of last year.  They always sounded like someone had thrown a blanket over them when compared to say a Mesa cabinet.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In giving it some more consideration, I think I need to get another Marshall.  I've had two different JCM 800s, a JVM 410, and had a loaner DSL 50 for a while as well.  Other amps that have been in the stable include a Soldano Hot Rod? and a Mesa Dual Rectifier.  

I've always preferred the sound of the JCM 800, but the amp is just to loud.  I've run it with an attenuator and it makes it sounds bad.  I need a quiet JCM800.

The Peavey 6505 combo does modern stuff pretty good, especially when plugged into a 412 cabinet.

I use to have two Orange 412s which I got rid of last year.  They always sounded like someone had thrown a blanket over them when compared to say a Mesa cabinet.
View Quote

The Splawn would definitely give you that JCM800 tone... as well as an 800 with a killer OD in front of it. I had a 2203X last year and it was a great amp, but like you said it was LOUD. Didn't give-up the goods at sane volume. The Splawn does, the Friedman BE100 does, the Bogners do, my Ceriatone Chupacabra does, etc. etc. There are a lot of great boutique hot-rod Marshall clones out there that do MUCH better giving it up at reasonable volumes than Marshalls do.

At any rate, I wear ear plugs to practice every day. I like to feel these great amps and that usually involves some volume... so I wear plugs. I started getting tinnitus years ago and that scared me into wearing plugs. The tinnitus subsided and I try to be very careful about that. Though I will do some tweaking here and there without them to make sure that I'm hearing things right.

For a great little lunchbox head that is killer and has great tones in it, try the Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister 36. It's very tweakable/programmable, but is still a tube amp. And its built-in FX are great. The the most versatile amp I've ever owned (and I've had a Bogner XTC, H&K Triamp, Engl Powerball, etc and now the Splawn).
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:20:14 PM EDT
[#13]
It's too bad that Marshalls need to be played at stage volume to get the full tone and dynamics from them. I want a JCM 800 pretty bad but I sold a DSL 100 head years ago because it was too loud and the attenuator just killed the tone too much and it sounds like a JCM 800 would be the same situation. I thought of getting a Mesa Stiletto but I've spent a lot of time playing one and it just lacks the girth, for lack of a better word, that the Marshalls have. I'm glad I'm not the only one who had the same issue with Marshalls being too loud and sucking with an attenuator. At least I know it wasn't me.

ETA: many years ago I had the privilege of playing a 1971 Marshall Plexi full stack at max volume and and it was quite an experience. Made all the hairs on my skin move with every note, like I was at my own concert.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:12:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
Get a baby Splawn with a 6V6 power section. They're still spendy, but 22 watts is not nearly as loud at 100 watts. The heads cost about $1400.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:14:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Is there a particular type of tone you want or an amp that can produce many different tones?

Apparently Roland have a couple of new 1x12 two channel combo amps that supposedly come pretty close to a (Fender) "tweed" tube amp, under the "Blues Cube" name. The Stage model is 60 watts, switchable down to 1/2 a watt and the Artist model is 80 watts, also switchable down to 1/2 a watt.
The Artist version has a built in socket for an extra module that looks like a tube but it contains some extra circuitry which alters the tone of the amp. Eric Johnson is the first "name" artist to have one of these tone modules launched in his name.

Both models also have a USB out to plug straight into a recording system.

There are a bunch of video reviews of them on youtube.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Oh yeah, I forgot about this little gem. All tube and very versatile.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LNYIRTSTUDIO
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Since you have a tube amp get a modeling pedal. I have a Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack with NOS tubes and an Adrenalinn III pedal in front of it.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's too bad that Marshalls need to be played at stage volume to get the full tone and dynamics from them. I want a JCM 800 pretty bad but I sold a DSL 100 head years ago because it was too loud and the attenuator just killed the tone too much and it sounds like a JCM 800 would be the same situation. I thought of getting a Mesa Stiletto but I've spent a lot of time playing one and it just lacks the girth, for lack of a better word, that the Marshalls have. I'm glad I'm not the only one who had the same issue with Marshalls being too loud and sucking with an attenuator. At least I know it wasn't me.

ETA: many years ago I had the privilege of playing a 1971 Marshall Plexi full stack at max volume and and it was quite an experience. Made all the hairs on my skin move with every note, like I was at my own concert.
View Quote

Any tube amp requires that.  This is why I'm such a big proponent of low wattage tube amps.  There are quite a number of choices these days but before there were so many options I built a couple 5 watt JCM800s.  They hit the mark pretty close but, of course, there is a certain amount tone you get from abusing speakers and moving lots of air.  

Today Marshall offers some low wattage amps and amps like the Orange Tiny terror make it so you don't need to build your own to get a good overdriven tube tone in your home.  Now be aware, 5 watts through a 12 inch speaker is still very loud in the home and will piss off all but the most understanding spouse.  5 watts is loud enough I gig with it at small venues as long as I don't want chimey clean tones.  I don't play clean and I like lots of tube compression so 5 watts works for me live.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a Fender Mustang IIIv2 1x12 and it is awesome. There are endless things that you can do with them. Also there are some very good profiles you can d/l. I have read many people try the generic presets and say aww this sounds like crap. Well yeah they are generic so you can tweek them which is easily done via the screen on the amp or on the PC. The foot pedal is a 2 button but you can get a 3 or 5 button, but what makes them great is that you can link them all together for a full pedal board, swapping between stompboxes/ effects/tuner/reverb it is all in how you set them up.

I am no great player by any stretch of the imagination, but this amp eliminates the need for me to buy a bunch of pedals from the start as they are all loaded in the program which for me is great. I like that I can make my own presets and my son can have his, He can play and then I can roll the dail over to mine and have all of my presets where I like them. No more tweaking the tube screamer, or adjusting the tremelo, or bypassing the distortion pedal. Pick out my assigned number and plug in. The on board tuner is handy and if you have the 5 button switch there is a tuner on it as well.

I have seen video where some folks gig with the 1x12 and say they work great but not a panacea. It all depends on the room you are playing and I think that goes with any amp. What sounds good in your practice space may not sound good where you are playing.

I have had the Korg Tonelab box before they were stuffed into amps and it was pretty good for what it was. I used it to practice through a headphone amp which worked pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
When it comes to modeling, I like software for laying down demos, but other than that, I prefer tube amps.
View Quote

100% agree. I have used Line 6 since the original POD to the Pod HD, I also have an Eleven Rack. The software Bias and JamUp Pro are not bad either buy I only use that for song writing and arrangement.
Live and final recording I use Tube Amps. My band's other guitarist uses a hybrid amp, the Line 6 Spider Valve head and he gets a good sound out of it. Tube power section in there seems to warm up that digital.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 8:51:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Oh yeah, I forgot about this little gem. All tube and very versatile.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LNYIRTSTUDIO
View Quote

I dig!!!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:52:22 AM EDT
[#22]
My brother used to have a Line 6.  I didn't know it was a modeling amp but I hated the way it sounded.  Recently I was at GC checking out a guitar and plugged in to a Fender Mustang III v2.0.  

It sounded so good I had to buy it.  I couldn't get over the price for that much sound.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

My brother used to have a Line 6.  I didn't know it was a modeling amp but I hated the way it sounded.  Recently I was at GC checking out a guitar and plugged in to a Fender Mustang III v2.0.  

It sounded so good I had to buy it.  I couldn't get over the price for that much sound.
View Quote
Yep the III is a well kept secret. Probably one of the best sounding SS amps I have ever heard.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:33:47 AM EDT
[#24]
In! My sweet wife just brought home a Mustang I for my birthday; found it at a pawn shop for $75, & barely has a scratch on it. So far, the "Fendery" sounds are pretty spot on to my ear.
Not sure exactly how I feel about updating the firmware in my amp.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:32:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Hook up the amp to PC w/ USB then log into Fender Fuse
you can look up a .pdf manual for your Amp, somewhere in the Fuse site there is a link to D/L and update your firmware.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:31:28 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Hook up the amp to PC w/ USB then log into Fender Fuse

you can look up a .pdf manual for your Amp, somewhere in the Fuse site there is a link to D/L and update your firmware.

View Quote

Thanks, man. I understand the procedure; I was just commenting on the fact that guitar amps now have FIRMWARE.

It's pretty cool that the spectrum nowadays runs from *that* all the way thru hand soldered, point-to-point wired, NOS tubed boutique jobs. 'Mericah.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yep the III is a well kept secret. Probably one of the best sounding SS amps I have ever heard.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should try the IV
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:44:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm... now I'm tempted even though I have a tube amp. I guess we gotta have an SS amp too. :)

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:00:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Hmm... now I'm tempted even though I have a tube amp. I guess we gotta have an SS amp too. :)

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's a big stink in the guitar playing community about solid state amps and most of what people say about solid state amps isn't true and never has been. People simply use them incorrectly.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:28:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

There's a big stink in the guitar playing community about solid state amps and most of what people say about solid state amps isn't true and never has been. People simply use them incorrectly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would argue that solid state and modeling are two different things. Because, in my view, ss amps have gain circuits that use MOSFETs, JFETs, ect to take the place of vacuum tubes, whereas modeling amps use an algorithm or algorithms in place of tubes.

Granted in any modeling amp you're going to find MOSFETs, JFETs, and whatnot, but they aren't the primary factor in producing amp tones. And you also have amps that are a kind of hybrid between modeling and solid state, such as the Peavey Vypyr.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 8:16:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I own a Marshall JVM410H and still bought the Mustang.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#32]
There's analog and there's digital. When the SS came out they were all analog and they were some good stuff.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Just got back into playing after a 20+ year hiatus. Picked up a used VOX VT40+ on Craigslist pretty cheap. It has a tube preamp and will produce tons of different sounds. It will also crank if needed. Way more amp that I'll ever need in my bedroom. The clean sounds are really good too.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:14:48 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Just got back into playing after a 20+ year hiatus. Picked up a used VOX VT40+ on Craigslist pretty cheap. It has a tube preamp and will produce tons of different sounds. It will also crank if needed. Way more amp that I'll ever need in my bedroom. The clean sounds are really good too.
View Quote
I have a VT 50 that I bought off of ebay to keep at church. It does a.lot of different sounds quite well but really shines as a clean tone amp. All the guitar players at church use it that way and bring their own peddle boards. I am surprised they have not gotten more of a following ,they sell used dirt cheap.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:25:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:15:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Checkmate

Axe Fx from Fractal Audio
View Quote

Yes, most of us are aware of those. And I haven't heard demos, ect, that has convinced me that I need to cough up that much money.....especially when it will more than likely be made obsolete within a few years when what's his face decides to change the hardware because it will no longer adequately accommodate the firmware.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:03:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yes, most of us are aware of those. And I haven't heard demos, ect, that has convinced me that I need to cough up that much money.....especially when it will more than likely be made obsolete within a few years when what's his face decides to change the hardware because it will no longer adequately accommodate the firmware.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Checkmate

Sort of interesting that so many touring musicians are using those Axe FX units now though.   If you go to their page and click on the "artists" tab there are ton a ton of people that use them.   Some even use them as their main touring rigs.   If you take some time browsing youtube you see them in a ton of touring racks.  

I think the main trick is learning how to use them properly.  Not all of us have techs, and engineers at our disposal that can spend hours dialing in the right tones.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Sort of interesting that so many touring musicians are using those Axe FX units now though.   If you go to their page and click on the "artists" tab there are ton a ton of people that use them.   Some even use them as their main touring rigs.   If you take some time browsing youtube you see them in a ton of touring racks.  

I think the main trick is learning how to use them properly.  Not all of us have techs, and engineers at our disposal that can spend hours dialing in the right tones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Checkmate

It's not that I wouldn't know how to use them, the tutorials on YouTube are pretty straightforward, and they seem quite a bit less maddening than some of the multi-fx/preamps out there.

And I know lots of pros use them, that's fine. But for me, the issue is the the cash outlay for something that will more than likely become obsolete in a few years. Sure, I have some amps that were spendy, but they won't be made obsolete in a few years, and they will hold their resale value better in the long run.

And as far as modlers go, I think that software is the way that things seem to be headed. Sure, an Axe FX or a Kemper can do wonderful things, but there's some great sounding software out there. I know, it sounds weird, but there are guys out there that do gigs with a tablet or laptop loaded with Revalver 4, or POD Farm, or Positive Grid Bias, or whatever other amp/FX sim software they prefer. So, $2500 for a box loaded with some firmware, or about $300-$500 for software, a MIDI interface, audio interface, and a MIDI foot controller for your existing computer or tablet?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's not that I wouldn't know how to use them, the tutorials on YouTube are pretty straightforward, and they seem quite a bit less maddening than some of the multi-fx/preamps out there.

And I know lots of pros use them, that's fine. But for me, the issue is the the cash outlay for something that will more than likely become obsolete in a few years. Sure, I have some amps that were spendy, but they won't be made obsolete in a few years, and they will hold their resale value better in the long run.

And as far as modlers go, I think that software is the way that things seem to be headed. Sure, an Axe FX or a Kemper can do wonderful things, but there's some great sounding software out there. I know, it sounds weird, but there are guys out there that do gigs with a tablet or laptop loaded with Revalver 4, or POD Farm, or Positive Grid Bias, or whatever other amp/FX sim software they prefer. So, $2500 for a box loaded with some firmware, or about $300-$500 for software, a MIDI interface, audio interface, and a MIDI foot controller for your existing computer or tablet?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Checkmate

Yeah, you have a point.  For the grinding gig to gig musician your solution is probably a lot more practical.  

Just out of curiosity... Why do you think they will be obsolete in a few years?   Just the fact that they aren't analog and everything that isn't analog gets upgraded and outdated fairly quickly?   For the record, I'm not disagreeing with you..  Just curious what your opinion is.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:34:47 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a Johnson Millennium modeling amp that has a tube preamp with a solid state power amp.  I love it and hope it last the rest of my life.  I also have a digitech twin tube preamp running into a Marshall valvestate 20/20 power amp.  It seems to be more like a traditional tube amp though where you have to run it at ear splitting volumes before it sounds good.  I've never found Line 6 anything to be worth a shit but I can't imagine in the 10 years since my Johnson was made someone has not come up with something that performs well.

After I buy another house next year I'm going to start buying some of these mini amps like the Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18, Orange Tiny Terro and the Black Star HT-5RH.  I think they are pretty much the perfect choice for home tube amps unless you want to build or buy isolation cabs and mic a full size tube head.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:41:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yeah, you have a point.  For the grinding gig to gig musician your solution is probably a lot more practical.  

Just out of curiosity... Why do you think they will be obsolete in a few years?   Just the fact that they aren't analog and everything that isn't analog gets upgraded and outdated fairly quickly?   For the record, I'm not disagreeing with you..  Just curious what your opinion is.
View Quote

Because Fractial Audio continually keeps changing the firmware, which is good in that it makes things sound better, but can be bad because the firmware becomes more of a resource hog. So, to keep up with the firmware, they need to come out with new versions of the hardware every so often. Yes, the units are good for quite a few updates, but there is a limit.

On the flipside of that, going the software route is much cheaper because you more than likely already have the hardware which you use for more than just playing your guitar through. So that greatly offsets the cost of the hardware. And if you need a better computer to keep up with the latest version of your favorite software, you're probably due for a new computer or upgrades to your existing computer anyway. And they make racks that you can sit a laptop in and many interfaces can be rackmounted. Plus you can buy or build a rackmounted computer, if you want to go that way.

I will admit that Fractal Audio does have an edge with their switching speed when staying within a "scene" as they call it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've got a little line6, and the clean sound aren't bad. Get it distorting though,and it's a stinker.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top