Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2015 4:45:26 PM EDT
What do you do when it goes bad on an acoustic with a fixed bridge?
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:20:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd go here and ask.  Or just take it to a luthier and find out.  Usually they will look it over and tell you right away what it needs.

What kind of guitar?  Valuable (like enough to warrant some repair $$$).

Acoustic Guitar Forum
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Tacoma Thunderchief acoustic bass. It's worth it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:58:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Try different strings and play with bridge saddles. That is the only way to adjust most acoustic intonation issues.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Try different strings and play with bridge saddles. That is the only way to adjust most acoustic intonation issues.
View Quote
I just changed the strings for a lighter set (med-light as opposed to medium); the difference in the E string is .005. Is that enough to put it out?

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I just changed the strings for a lighter set (med-light as opposed to medium); the difference in the E string is .005. Is that enough to put it out?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Different strings can and will change intonation. You could get some uncompensated bridge saddles and custom shape one to work for you. Would take time.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Different strings can and will change intonation. You could get some uncompensated bridge saddles and custom shape one to work for you. Would take time.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just ordered medium gauge strings. It was too tinny anyway. I'll see how it changes before I mess with it.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#7]
String tension affects bow, bow will affect action, action affects intonation.
Might just need some truss rod adjustment.
Is it more or less, uniformly out?

Maybe you're fretting too hard now.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#8]
If all else fails a decent luthier and a set up.  But it does sound like string tension is the issue.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Heavier strings didn't help much. I think I'll have to take this to someone before I do something too drastic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top