Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2015 3:46:19 PM EDT
My niece wants a guitar for her birthday and I'm trying to find out what's the best bang for your buck. I did a bit of reading on recommendations, but figured it's best to just ask those with some knowledge and experience for a recommendation. I'm sure that the sky's the limit on prices, but hoping to keep it $100 or less.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out the epiphone Les Paul express or les Paul special.  Both are shortened scale guitars that even as she gets older won't feel like small toy guitar
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#2]
The Squier Mini Strat is a nice child's electric guitar IMO, and can be frequently found for $100 or less.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:52:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Ibanez also makes a mini kid's guitar.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:32:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all. I'll check these out.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#5]
This is what I got my son. It was actually mine and I used it during deployments because I could break it down to make it compact and fit in my footlocker.

He now has an LTD Alexi 200 Flying V
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:35:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Another vote for the Squire Mini-Strat...the wife and I got Mini-Strats for out 4 year old twins last Christmas. They're still a bit big for the boys to handle, but much, much better than full scale guitars.  Though they just plug in now and make noise, I suspect that the boys will be playing these into their teens.   It would be perfect for a 9-10 year old, and at around $100, not too bad for what you get.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:34:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I snagged a lefty version of that one for my kiddo to learn on... I've never been an Ibanez fan, and I'm not a lefty, but that little guitar seems pretty well built and it sounds pretty decent.
Holds a tuning well and intonation is pretty good.

I wish that the Fender mini-strat was available as a lefty.

Not many lefty options for the midgets.

And my midget isn't interested in playing unless it's a lefty.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I snagged a lefty version of that one for my kiddo to learn on... I've never been an Ibanez fan, and I'm not a lefty, but that little guitar seems pretty well built and it sounds pretty decent.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps watching some videos of Jimi Hendrix playing a right-handed Strat upside down would change your kid's mind.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 5:57:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Perhaps watching some videos of Jimi Hendrix playing a right-handed Strat upside down would change your kid's mind.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Believe me, I have tried and tried.

She's too young to understand how limiting lefty guitar playing will be instrument wise.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Been keeping up with this thread and thanks for all the replies, but now my sister is telling me she wants an acoustic guitar. So research starts over!

Anybody have any suggestions?

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Been keeping up with this thread and thanks for all the replies, but now my sister is telling me she wants an acoustic guitar. So research starts over!

Anybody have any suggestions?

View Quote
I played a Taylor GS mini that impressed me. Martin makes a mini also. The only two I could recommend for a real guitar.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top