Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2015 12:24:42 PM EDT
Hello,

Anybody know of any good sources for vintage amplifier parts? Doesn't matter if they're NOS vintage parts or new-manufactured replicas. I have a 1964 Bassman that needs some fixing, and just for starters the Deep and Bright switches are busted, it needs a cover for the filter caps, and new filter caps. And maybe a 3-prong power cord conversion. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#2]
For parts try Angela Electronics . Steve has been doing the amp stuff a looooong time

Mouser for the caps.. replace all your electro coupling caps while your at it.

Another place to peruse Ted Weber, they have a good selection of parts.

I have bought from all of them with no problems, including Antique Electronics, posted above.

In fact,  I bought a Marshall 6m45 kit with a red tolex cab some years back from Weber.. out of the blue they sent me a replacement dog ear front panel, citing that they were not satisfied
with the build quality of the one originally sent with the kit.  THAT's service.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:08:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Another one:  

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/  
View Quote
They're one of my favorites.

And other than what has been mentioned, http://www.mojotone.com, https://www.tubedepot.com, and http://www.triodeelectronics.com are other options.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 2:38:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Awesome, thanks guys.

Here's the beginning of my project:
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like it should be fairly easy to work on. Gonna do any mods?
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Step 1:  black knob for the Normal channel Volume pot!  

Link Posted: 3/13/2015 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not sure yet. For now the amp is practically unsafe to play, the filter caps are ruptured and need replacing first thing, then upgrade to 3-prong power cord and get rid of the death cap. Once the amp is restored and rendered safe, I'll play it for a while and see what I want to do. The bass channel is pretty dull for guitar use so it lends itself to modding. I've heard of people doing "Plexi" mods and other such things to get more gain in that channel. I just don't want to do anything irreversible. It currently has a 12AT7 for the phase inverter but I will replace that with a 12AX7 to get a little more drive out of it. It currently doesn't break up until 6-7 on the volume and that's LOUD. I would prefer to play at 3-4 on the volume with "edge-of-breakup" drive.

Quoted:

Step 1:  black knob for the Normal channel Volume pot!    

I think I may just leave it. It gives the amp character IMO.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 4:54:11 AM EDT
[#9]
The JTM45 circuit is based on the Tweed Fender Bassman, and even though your Bassman is a Blackface, it should be pretty straightforward to turn the gain channel into a Plexi circuit.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 2:08:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The JTM45 circuit is based on the Tweed Fender Bassman, and even though your Bassman is a Blackface, it should be pretty straightforward to turn the gain channel into a Plexi circuit.
View Quote

Well it has a solid state rectifier like a Marshall but the 6L6 power tubes of a Fender. I think the tone and dynamics will end up somewhere in-between. It should sound great no matter what.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Deleted.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well it has a solid state rectifier like a Marshall but the 6L6 power tubes of a Fender. I think the tone and dynamics will end up somewhere in-between. It should sound great no matter what.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, I would definitely keep the 6L6s in there too, EL-34s would hurt the cleans too much.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Oh, I would definitely keep the 6L6s in there too, EL-34s would hurt the cleans too much.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention they would draw too much current and the power transformer would probably blow. Anyways, I just completed the 3-prong power cord conversion, replaced the screen grid resistors, and replaced the Deep and Bright slider switches. Just need the filter caps and it should be GTG:

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 11:55:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Not to mention they would draw too much current and the power transformer would probably blow. Anyways, I just completed the 3-prong power cord conversion, replaced the screen grid resistors, and replaced the Deep and Bright slider switches. Just need the filter caps and it should be GTG:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Post4Free/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsmnskopn2.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Post4Free/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsmnskopn2.jpg
Yes, but I assumed that went without saying.

Anyway, it's looking good!
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:23:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. I had a problem when I powered the amp up, one of the resistors on the filter cap board shorted out and blew the fuse. All the filter caps are blown so hopefully that's what caused the resistor to fry, otherwise I'm going to be doing a lot of troubleshooting.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:14:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Thanks. I had a problem when I powered the amp up, one of the resistors on the filter cap board shorted out and blew the fuse. All the filter caps are blown so hopefully that's what caused the resistor to fry, otherwise I'm going to be doing a lot of troubleshooting.  
View Quote
It's probably been overdue for a cap job for a decade or two anyway.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 4:00:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure looks like it! Working on this Bassman really has me wanting to build an amp, so I think I may get a tweed 5F1 Champ or 5E3 Deluxe to wet my feet then build a a JTM-45. I may end up just leaving the Bassman as close to factory specs as I can and do my modding on a home brew amp.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#18]
What happened was the filter cap is shorted and it drew too much current thru the ballast resistor which fried it. Electrolytic caps often go short-circuit when they fail as the two foil layers inside touch. Then you get a ton of current which causes the smoke and cooks the ballast resistors...

I have one of those blackface Bassman heads myself. I hardly ever use it - got too many other amps I like better.

I have fixed a lot of vintage amps for folks in the ATL area. Used to be a hobby of mine but now I just work on a few friend's amps, and of course, my own.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top