Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2015 8:35:46 AM EDT
Just wondering if I will ever feel like I can "play" the guitar.  I practice about an hour (maybe more) but my chord transitions still feel sloppy after more than 6 months at it.  I finger style (can't stand the twank of the pick on the strings) and do some picking (Lumineers, Green Day, James Blunt etc).  I just don't feel like I am quick and smooth like I see others play.  

Besides more practice are there any tips from folks who have been at longer?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#1]
You're a guitarist the second you decide you want to commit to playing. Being a good guitarist takes years of practice.

And you don't like pick bite? Are you playing acoustic or electric? Have you tried different types and sizes of picks? Finger style I'd say takes much longer to get down than learning to pick.

One last thing... We're always our own worst critics.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been playing for 40 years and still would not consider myself a guitarist. If I was one I would be making a living at it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're a guitarist the second you decide you want to commit to playing. Being a good guitarist takes years of practice.

And you don't like pick bite? Are you playing acoustic or electric? Have you tried different types and sizes of picks? Finger style I'd say takes much longer to get down than learning to pick.

One last thing... We're always our own worst critics.
View Quote

Pick bite?  So there is a term for it, good to know.  

I play acoustic, a Fender T-Bucket.  Good guitar for me.  Yes, finger style, I like the sound and the art so to speak.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Practicing smarter is better than practicing longer and the tunes you choose to play should always be your practice routine, IMO. So, if there is a passage that you find difficult you may want to repeat that passage until you sound convincing.

I practice chords constantly and it takes work. Muscle memory takes repetition so keep at it and go slowly. It helps to have everything written down on chord grids, as well, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:27:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I use a common iPad app for my music and play from chords and tabs.  I recently started working on just chord transitions before I play any songs. I guess this is what you are suggesting.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:19:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use a common iPad app for my music and play from chords and tabs.  I recently started working on just chord transitions before I play any songs. I guess this is what you are suggesting.
View Quote

Chord transitions - look at which fingers go where, which ones can remain anchored, and which ones have to move and where, then work on speed, er accurate speed.

Set a timer for one minute.  See how many times you can accurately transition back and forth between A and E in 60 sixty seconds. Do it again tomorrow, but faster, and again the next day.  Keep doing it until it's second nature.  

Now do it for E and D, A minor and E; C and G; G and D, A and E minor; F and G, etc. and so on.

Keep a notebook, write down the day, the chord change, and the number of changes in 60 sixty seconds.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:38:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Fuck if I know, I never played any attention to that kind of stuff.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#8]
a guy I know was nominated for a Grammy a few years ago, he's pretty good I'm guessing he has 20-25 years of playing under his belt.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I suppose you could be considered a guitarist if all you did was whack people in the head with one.

But seriously, there is no arriving. It is the journey. You do it to make yourself satisfied. Way before
you become satisfied (never) listeners can and do enjoy your playing. I don't play for them though.

I play for me, and for decades now. For some reason people like it. Am I a guitarist? No Idea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top