Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2015 5:21:39 PM EDT
I have been reading about this PRS NF3 for a few weeks searching forums and found that nearly everyone who owns one loves it. 25 1/4 in. scale, korina body, bolt on neck, and three narrow-field humbucker pickups with the wonderful PRS tremolo. Owners report the guitar has a sound of its own and is very inspiring. I found the below guitar still new and unsold since 2011. Apparently they are out of production. I have never seen one in person, but I bought it and it is shipping today. I have always dreamt of a owning a Strat with a PRS tremolo. From what I've read this comes pretty close and then some, giving single coil sound and nice P90 and HB sounds depending on where you set the volume control. If any of you guys own one, Id love to hear how you like it.

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:08:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Saw your same post on the Gear Page.
I have two NF3s.  One I bought last year (natural color, rosewood fretboard), and one I bought this year used (2011) in frost blue metallic.  Took a flyer on the used one because I preferred the color and the maple neck and the price was right.  
I will be selling the natural/rosewood one.  It is a great guitar but I don't need two of them.  
I haven't been playing the guitar that long so take my opinion for what it's worth.  I have some strats and a tele and wanted something different.  The narrowfields really offer a different sound, higher output and warm compared to the Fenders I have, yet if you want you can find the quack in the 2 and 4 pickup positions.  It plays surprisingly clear and open in the bridge position.  
Solidly built and a GREAT neck.  I mean smooth and perfect shape for my hands.  The neck feels like there is no finish--like polished, sanded wood.  
The tones are quite a bit different than strats/teles, but I think you'll find there is such a range that you'll be able to find something you like.  I feel like it can play pretty much any style of music and do it well (even though I can't!).

I hope it works out for you.  
Here are pictures of mine:

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:33:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Saw your same post on the Gear Page.

I have two NF3s.  One I bought last year (natural color, rosewood fretboard), and one I bought this year used (2011) in frost blue metallic.  Took a flyer on the used one because I preferred the color and the maple neck and the price was right.  

I will be selling the natural/rosewood one.  It is a great guitar but I don't need two of them.  

I haven't been playing the guitar that long so take my opinion for what it's worth.  I have some strats and a tele and wanted something different.  The narrowfields really offer a different sound, higher output and warm compared to the Fenders I have, yet if you want you can find the quack in the 2 and 4 pickup positions.  It plays surprisingly clear and open in the bridge position.  

Solidly built and a GREAT neck.  I mean smooth and perfect shape for my hands.  The neck feels like there is no finish--like polished, sanded wood.  

The tones are quite a bit different than strats/teles, but I think you'll find there is such a range that you'll be able to find something you like.  I feel like it can play pretty much any style of music and do it well (even though I can't!).

I hope it works out for you.  

Here are pictures of mine:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q75/mianbao1993/prsnf3a_zps7aec2fc8.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q75/mianbao1993/179404-2_zpsmf8smbk1.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q75/mianbao1993/179404-5_zps1ldcvmrl.jpg      
View Quote

Beautiful guitars and thanks for the insight. Can you tell much difference in sound between the rosewood and maple neck?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:30:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Beautiful guitars and thanks for the insight. Can you tell much difference in sound between the rosewood and maple neck?

View Quote

You know I've never A/B'd them to compare.  Would be interesting since it is essentially the only variable between the two.  Although I'd probably have to measure and adjust pickup heights to eliminate any difference there.  

Now that I think about it, there might be another difference:  I think in 2012 PRS started using a treble bleed cap on the volume pot on the NF3s.  It's possible my 2013 (natural) has it and the blue one doesn't.  I've never taken off the pickguards on either one to look inside.  

I'll have to check all that out when I have the time.  

Post your impressions when you get your new NF3.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You know I've never A/B'd them to compare.  Would be interesting since it is essentially the only variable between the two.  Although I'd probably have to measure and adjust pickup heights to eliminate any difference there.  

Now that I think about it, there might be another difference:  I think in 2012 PRS started using a treble bleed cap on the volume pot on the NF3s.  It's possible my 2013 (natural) has it and the blue one doesn't.  I've never taken off the pickguards on either one to look inside.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I checked the PRS website and they show a 2012 NF3 wiring diagram that includes a 180pf cap on the volume pot and a .033 uf on the tone pot.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I checked the PRS website and they show a 2012 NF3 wiring diagram that includes a 180pf cap on the volume pot and a .033 uf on the tone pot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that's the one I'm referring to.  I'm guessing my two NFs have different configs from each other based on that change.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:14:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm curious why they didn't go with the 25 1/2" Fender scale length.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I'm curious why they didn't go with the 25 1/2" Fender scale length.
View Quote

They are 1/4" shorter scale length.  Not sure why PRS did that.  Different design, different pickups, different neck, different sound, I guess!  

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:49:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's the one I'm referring to.  I'm guessing my two NFs have different configs from each other based on that change.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you weighed your NF3s? The seller advertised the weight on mine as 6.8lbs., which seems really light. I have 4 strats which range in weight from 7.5lbs to 8.5 lbs.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By 57Strat

Have you weighed your NF3s? The seller advertised the weight on mine as 6.8lbs., which seems really light. I have 4 strats which range in weight from 7.5lbs to 8.5 lbs.
View Quote

I've weighed the 2011 (frost blue) one.  It is 7.5 lbs on a postal scale.  The natural one is probably closer to 8 lbs but that is just a guess.  As another reference point, when I was looking for the frost blue guitar, I actually found two of them used and bought them both to compare.  I returned the other one but I weighed it while I had it and it was right around 8 lbs.  

I'd be surprised if yours is really 6.8 lbs.  I don't think korina is really that light of a wood.  Maybe if it was made of pine.  And it's not like PRS uses cheap hardware.  

I have a EJ strat which is my lightest guitar and it is just at 7.1 lbs.  Feels like a feather to me.  

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've weighed the 2011 (frost blue) one.  It is 7.5 lbs on a postal scale.  The natural one is probably closer to 8 lbs but that is just a guess.  As another reference point, when I was looking for the frost blue guitar, I actually found two of them used and bought them both to compare.  I returned the other one but I weighed it while I had it and it was right around 8 lbs.  

I'd be surprised if yours is really 6.8 lbs.  I don't think korina is really that light of a wood.  Maybe if it was made of pine.  And it's not like PRS uses cheap hardware.  

I have a EJ strat which is my lightest guitar and it is just at 7.1 lbs.  Feels like a feather to me.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By 57Strat

Thanks for those details. I'm hoping it weighs more in the 7.5 lbs range as 6.8 might be too light IMO.

I was looking thru some pics of guitars I owned and ran across this pic of an EJ strat I owned briefly. Serial number 86. It was the first EJ Strat that the Austin Guitar Center got in when the EJ first launched in 2005. I wonder if that serial number adds any value today?..?

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:12:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thanks for those details. I'm hoping it weighs more in the 7.5 lbs range as 6.8 might be too light IMO.
I was looking thru some pics of guitars I owned and ran across this pic of an EJ strat I owned briefly. Serial number 86. It was the first EJ Strat that the Austin Guitar Center got in when the EJ first launched in 2005. I wonder if that serial number adds any value today?..?
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-pfpB4a47JAI/VO9qCVjM-II/AAAAAAAAFN8/Yb00oPED9bM/s800/EJ_strat.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-FKH2EE9w4zU/VO9qm4ZpMzI/AAAAAAAAFOQ/L3iHjU8iK5Y/s800/EJ_strat_b.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7SkKSu7-sjs/VO9qCWqUVPI/AAAAAAAAFOA/7ELCZyZ6ZDs/s800/EJ_strat_a.jpg
View Quote

That's some beautiful grain on that EJ.  Don't know if it would be more valuable due to the s/n.  I think the EJ serial numbers are all over the place, not put out in sequence, at least the more recent ones, so I am doubtful it would be much of a factor.  Most people buy them because they are really great playing guitars for the money.  Very much like a '57 reissue (I say to the guy named 57Strat!) but unique in its configuration.  The only thing I didn't like about it was the pickups were so noisy through my amps.  I ended up shielding all the cavities and grounding everything and now it is much better.  Mine is the hot blonde.  These pictures were taken by the guy I bought the guitar from, not me.  It's hard to tell in the photos but in person you can easily see the wood grain through the finish:

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#12]
That's a sweet looking EJ. I bet it sounds great! Has Fender updated the specs on the EJ since it first launched? I seem to recall hearing that they've made a few changes over the years.

Yeah....I have a Fullerton 1984 57 reissue. It's up for sale in the EE.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

That's a sweet looking EJ. I bet it sounds great! Has Fender updated the specs on the EJ since it first launched? I seem to recall hearing that they've made a few changes over the years.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-89SMnNABJcA/VOn_OD_AoSI/AAAAAAAAFK4/ZJxnk65sDaI/s800/IMG_3915%2520%2528Large%2529.JPG
View Quote

I'm not aware of any changes they made to the EJ over the years.  Of course they added the bound rosewood models in the different colors but as far as I know everything else is the same.    Well, there is the price increase, too.  
Sorry you have to sell your '57.  It looks great.  I really appreciate the authentic relicing (and it is pretty mild on yours), as opposed to the custom shop stuff they put out.   I know some people really go for that and they probably play beautifully, but just a little too much fakery for me, my opinion, only.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-89SMnNABJcA/VOn_OD_AoSI/AAAAAAAAFK4/ZJxnk65sDaI/s800/IMG_3915%2520%2528Large%2529.JPG

View Quote

There's a music shop here that has one of those '57 AVRI Strats, a 1984 model just like yours. As far as reissues go, it really does feel like an old Strat vs the new reissues that just don't have any mojo IMO. Great guitars.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#15]
My NF3 arrived today. It weighs 6.8 lbs. It feels so light and you don't even notice the weight. My 8 lb guitars start hurting my shoulder after 90 minutes or so. It's amazing the difference 1.2 lbs makes.

I do wonder if being 6.8lbs is a negative tone-wise.

She sure is pretty

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:05:38 PM EDT
[#16]
So it really is 6.8 lbs.  That's REALLY light for a NF3.  Would be interested to hear what you think about how it plays and sounds.  

Looks great, by the way.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:56:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So it really is 6.8 lbs.  That's REALLY light for a NF3.  Would be interested to hear what you think about how it plays and sounds.  

Looks great, by the way.  
View Quote

I made a quick video of playing it right out of the box. Just tuned it and plugged it into my Mesa Tremoverb that was adjusted for a vintage strat. I wanna put some heavier strings on it and set it up, adjust pickup height etc before I really critique the tone. But so far I love it! The neck is perfect IMO. Best neck profile on any guitar I own. Fret job is superb!

http://youtu.be/1N89ODErQcw
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's a new video I just made of the NF3 using my new Canon HFR500 camera and after getting the amp dialed in. The tone and sound is much better than the first video. I'm digging the guitar a lot, especially the tremelo.

Video

and another (Voodoo Child esque)

Video 2
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Here's a new video I just made of the NF3 using my new Canon HFR500 camera and after getting the amp dialed in. The tone and sound is much better than the first video. I'm digging the guitar a lot, especially the tremelo.

Video

Video 2
View Quote

Sounds great, man!

What kind of amp are you playing through?

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sounds great, man!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Video

Video 2

Sounds great, man!

Thanks! It's a 1991 Mesa Tremoverb w/ a 2-12 cab loaded with EVMs.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:25:13 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Video

Video 2

Sounds great, man!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-dC7fpjT1nR8/VCF09cyJsaI/AAAAAAAAEw8/lH9uA2wcUQI/s800/IMG_3849%2520%2528Large%2529.JPG
Looks sweet.  What's the thing on the top?

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:28:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Video

Video 2

Sounds great, man!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-dC7fpjT1nR8/VCF09cyJsaI/AAAAAAAAEw8/lH9uA2wcUQI/s800/IMG_3849%2520%2528Large%2529.JPG

That's my tuner, and effects device which is set to provide a little reverb and delay. A friend made the housing for the two units. The entire rig is 24 years old. I bought it all new in 91 and have been playing it since.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I have been playing this PRS NF3 a couple of weeks and I have to say it is the best guitar I've ever owned. I was just jamming and banged out this Blues jam. The guitar inspires me like nothing so far.

https://youtu.be/zCL5gQpnhsE
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm bumping this thread because I just found a used 2012 NF3 at a local shop for under $1K and I played it for a while and was very impressed. It plays as well as any Strat, but the tone of those pickups was truly inspiring. I didn't want to put it down. The only thing I didn't like was the color, vintage white.

I'm GASing bad for an NF3 now.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Can someone tell me where the NF3s are made? Korea? USA?
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Can someone tell me where the NF3s are made? Korea? USA?
View Quote

Made in Maryland.  Still part of the USA?  Well, as a native Marylander, now living in NY state, I'd have to say no.  

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:20:07 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I'm bumping this thread because I just found a used 2012 NF3 at a local shop for under $1K and I played it for a while and was very impressed. It plays as well as any Strat, but the tone of those pickups was truly inspiring. I didn't want to put it down. The only thing I didn't like was the color, vintage white.

I'm GASing bad for an NF3 now.
View Quote

I'll be selling this one soon--it is a 2013 NF3 in natural/rosewood.  The same one pictured earlier in the thread.  Here is the photo of it from Sweetwater before I bought it.  I can't sell it for under $1K though.  It is in excellent condition:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top