Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2015 2:39:19 AM EDT
Who here if ARFdom thinks of Jimmy Page as one of the greats.

Maybe it is just my age but I still play Stairway to Heaven all the time as

a warm up and finger exercise.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:07:24 AM EDT
[#1]
He is my favorite

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 5:19:19 AM EDT
[#2]
TSRTS is the reason I picked up a guitar.

He is not the best technical player.  And he was pretty hit or miss after 75-76 during live performances.  But Page was definitely a great blues rock player and an excellent song writer/studio expert.  

He does however lose points for some of his personal decisions, such as not giving credit on songs that were obviously not written by him.  And that whole 14 year old thing......
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 6:23:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I Love JP,
check out this cover/play along

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:53:27 AM EDT
[#4]
One of, if not the greatest
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Of course he's one of the greats.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:03:52 PM EDT
[#6]
The question is: who doesn't think he's one of the greatest? That person would then be disqualified from having an opinion on the subject.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:58:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Change thread title to "is"
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:08:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Page is still the greatest influence for me musically, 40 plus  years worth!!

there are soooooo many nuggets in there,  always a pleasure to get peoples reaction, from a Jimmy quote tossed into a song..
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:50:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:07:49 PM EDT
[#11]

I used to be a big fan. I really love his playing on Dazed and Confused. I think that's his best thing. He's a very good jazz player, but he rarely ever played jazz.

Sadly, the more I delve in to his music, the more I research, and the better I get as a player, he just appears to be a hack that happened to make it big off of the backs of others. Take a look at any of his work past Led Zeppelin and it's just really fucking bad. Hell, look at his time in The Yardbirds... it's not very good.

He's also a bigger thief than Vanilla Ice. He sampled songs before sampling was a thing. I think that's a big reason why he sort of disappeared for a long time, only really emerging for the random ambient sound track and Page and Plant.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#12]

I put JP up on the same shelf as Ace Frehley.. Their names are bigger than their talent.

Just from a bass player's perspective.

Great guitar players?  Eric Clapton, Steve Howe, Jeff Beck, Tony Iommi, Gary Moore, etc...

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:20:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I put JP up on the same shelf as Ace Frehley.. Their names are bigger than their talent.

Just from a bass player's perspective.

Great guitar players?  Eric Clapton, Steve Howe, Jeff Beck, Tony Iommi, Gary Moore, etc...
View Quote
JP was a great player that did not live up to his abilities because of his
addictions. SRV had his low points but everyone remembers him most after he started to get his life

in order..too bad it was cut short  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Jimmy is THE reason I picked up the instrument back in the day. Comparing him to Ace is rather weak IMHO. While Jimmy may not have been the most accurate of players the man dripped feeling and emotion and was a true master of sound.  Jimmy could do Aces "greatest claim to fame" called Shock Me in his sleep.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:17:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Jimmy Page was a great composer of rock music, but a fucking terrible guitarist in terms of technical prowess and originality.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:04:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Is Jimmy the best guitarist of all time?  No, I don't think he is from a technical stand point.
Is Jimmy one of the most influential guitarists of the last 50 years?  No question about it. Yes.
Do I love listening to his music?  Yes.  Warts and all, I love listening to Jimmy play.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:14:00 AM EDT
[#17]
a or an?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

a or an?
View Quote
Was supposed to be just a..but I am too lazy to change it.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:37:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Jimmy Page is a great guitar player, sure he was wasted and took chances that didn't always work, Just watch, "It Might get Loud" Page shows the young folks how it is done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top