Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2015 7:08:43 AM EDT
Anyone have any experence with this kit?  http://www.byoguitar.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitar-Kit---Exp__BYO-EXP.aspx
I am thinking about picking it up after I finish my ar i'm building. If I get it, the pickups, tone and volume pots, and tuners would all be replaced. I'm thinking either active pickups (emg 85 and 60, or seymour duncan blackouts)or passive (Jb and 59 or Nazgul and Sentient), along with no load tone controls, and grover tuners. So i'm mostly concerned with the wood quliatiy, good or bad?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:18:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I like it having a mahogany body, but question the use of mahogany for the neck. Just my opinion, the grain orientation on the headstock isn't right.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:22:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like it having a mahogany body, but question the use of mahogany for the neck. Just my opinion, the grain orientation on the headstock isn't right.
View Quote

The fact that it is mahogany is one of the reasons I am considering this one, most of the other explorer kits I can find are adler or korna, the guitar will be painted with a nitro finish. And the grain orentaion on the headstock is similar to my 86 kramer.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote
I like maple for the neck but Gibson for the most part never agreed ... out side of the bolt on neck guitars mahogany

seems to be the wood of choice.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I like maple necks as well, you can't beat a three tone sunburst strat with a one peace maple neck IMO. But I have always wanted a gibson explorer, I almost had one about two years ago. But I can build one that works for what I need for a lot less than I can buy one.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I like maple for the neck but Gibson for the most part never agreed ... out side of the bolt on neck guitars mahogany   seems to be the wood of choice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like maple for the neck but Gibson for the most part never agreed ... out side of the bolt on neck guitars mahogany   seems to be the wood of choice.

Some of their newer models on the lower end have had maple necks... the SG's and various LP Tribute guitars of recent years for example.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:42:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I like maple necks as well, you can't beat a three tone sunburst strat with a one peace maple neck IMO. But I have always wanted a gibson explorer, I almost had one about two years ago. But I can build one that works for what I need for a lot less than I can buy one.
View Quote

For the price of that kit... I'd be dang tempted.  That seems like a steal for a mahogany body and neck.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#7]
It's more than likely Agathis, which is part of the Mahogany family, but isn't what is traditionally known as Mahogany. But the differences are negligible and traditional Mahogany is rare and expensive, so a guy just about has to find alternatives.

It seems to be a decent kit for the money, though. Set neck just like the real ones too. When you pick out a glue for the neck, you might want to consider using hide glue. It might not be the latest whiz-bang adhesive, but at least you can remove the neck by applying heat if the need ever arises.

The only thing that bothers be about the kit is the placement of the volume/tone controls. It just looks weird.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Cheap kits aren't really worth it. Everything's gonna be cheap material and hopefully they fit together like they should.

I know you want an Explorer but the only kit I know of that's well made is a Carvin kit. I think there's other well made kits out there but I have no names.

By the way, this is my Carvin Bolt kit guitar with upgrades on the right next to my Carvin DC127.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Instead of taking the risk, I will just spend a little more money and get an used epiphone explorer and upgrade from there.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:14:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I've never built my own guitar. YMMV. One of the bonuses, I feel, would be the ability to mold it to fit if it doesn't quite work. Nobodies ever knocked shims.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:21:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Cheap kits aren't really worth it. Everything's gonna be cheap material and hopefully they fit together like they should.

I know you want an Explorer but the only kit I know of that's well made is a Carvin kit. I think there's other well made kits out there but I have no names.

By the way, this is my Carvin Bolt kit guitar with upgrades on the right next to my Carvin DC127.

http://s25.postimg.org/7nmebgalb/S5030148_2.jpg
View Quote
Precision Guitar Kits, and by all accounts, they are very well made.

This kit is made out of White Limba (another name for Korina).

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:12:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anyone have any experence with this kit?  http://www.byoguitar.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitar-Kit---Exp__BYO-EXP.aspx
I am thinking about picking it up after I finish my ar i'm building. If I get it, the pickups, tone and volume pots, and tuners would all be replaced. I'm thinking either active pickups (emg 85 and 60, or seymour duncan blackouts)or passive (Jb and 59 or Nazgul and Sentient), along with no load tone controls, and grover tuners. So i'm mostly concerned with the wood quliatiy, good or bad?
View Quote

In some of the pics the neck has a nut, in some it doesn't.

Looks like some cool kits there, I might just check one out.

Cutting a nut can be a pain in the ass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top