Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2014 6:56:10 PM EDT
It seems to have some decent reviews, is it worth the money?

Looking to get into something that sounds good, but will not break the bank.  I am a bass player, but I want a guitar to help me write some music.  

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-wildkat-hollowbody-electric-guitar-with-bigsby
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Fairly decent for the price.

If you aren't set on having a Bigby check out the Epi Dot / studio 339 as well.

Or look for a used Gretsch.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:16:37 AM EDT
[#2]
buy an Epi Dot 335 or the 339.  I had an Epi Dot 335.  Sold it due to not liking the body size.  The 339 is smaller more Les Paul size.  I would go for the 339 for a few reasons over the one your are looking at.

1.  Standard pickups makes finding replacements easier.  Epi pickups can be hit or miss.  I have two Epi V's that I would never part with due to the pickups being the best I have ever heard.  I have another Epi V that the pickups sucked ass big time.  They were recently replaced with Duncans.  

2.  335 / 339 will have higher resale than the model you are looking at.

have fun..get the one that you feel fits your needs and style best

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
buy an Epi Dot 335 or the 339.  I had an Epi Dot 335.  Sold it due to not liking the body size.  The 339 is smaller more Les Paul size.  I would go for the 339 for a few reasons over the one your are looking at.

1.  Standard pickups makes finding replacements easier.  Epi pickups can be hit or miss.  I have two Epi V's that I would never part with due to the pickups being the best I have ever heard.  I have another Epi V that the pickups sucked ass big time.  They were recently replaced with Duncans.  

2.  335 / 339 will have higher resale than the model you are looking at.

have fun..get the one that you feel fits your needs and style best

View Quote

Don't forget the Sheraton. I have an older one that is a fantastic guitar, besides the neck pickup being a little muddy. I've owned it for around twenty years and it still makes me smile every time I strap it on.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Ibanez may also be a good choice...

Sweetwater has a decent on on sale in their black friday stuff:
linky
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:30:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I would buy it just because it has P90's I would love to hear it and play it.

You won't like the trem unless you change the bridge to a roller.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 4:55:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Still looking at the Wildcat, but also am now interested in this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-am73b-electric-guitar

The Ibanez seems to have good reviews, and it feels good.  Would this be a better guitar than the Epi?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:25:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Still looking at the Wildcat, but also am now interested in this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-am73b-electric-guitar

The Ibanez seems to have good reviews, and it feels good.  Would this be a better guitar than the Epi?
View Quote
I have an AS73. It is the shiny paint and chrome version of this. Nice build quality beautiful guitar with crappy tuners and pups.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:53:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I keep looking at this axe,
kinda' want

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G5620TSS
too bad it's made in Korea
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#9]

The factories in Korea make good guitars at reasonable prices.  If Korea bothers you that much you can always buy a US made one for $3k+.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top