Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2014 11:11:41 AM EDT
There is a local luthier here that builds really nice custom guitars for reasonable prices.  I am getting one as a gift from my wife for Christmas.  

This is the guitar that I am having built.  It has the same pickup configuration, but some other things I am having customized to my liking.  

http://www.ghreno.com/honkytonk_white_red.html

It comes with stainless steel frets, and I can choose the size of the fret wire.   He doesn't have a lot of finished guitars sitting around with all of the different fret sizes.   I have always played fret wire size that is in the medium range.   The old strat I have now has frets that are really worn down and probably needs a re-fret soon.  That guitar's frets feel the smallest of any guitar I have played.  It still plays good though.

Is there anything I should know about fret size?  Does it make a huge difference in playability?    I honestly have never really thought about it before.

ETA:  There are sound clips of the guitar if you scroll down on the page.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Four of my Jacksons have Jumbo, 1 Jackson and my Epiphone have medium....the 2 Bass guitars have Jumbo...I am sure the acoustic is medium or small

To be perfectly honest...the size difference isn't even a factor to my playability anymore.

After a number of years of playing....I guess I'd only ask for Jumbo size if its to give the fretboard a design breakup or to add more chrome color...

The frets won't do anything as far as tone or sound...Jumbos make it easier for beginners to bend and hit their mark I suppose.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#2]
From what little I know, Medium Jumbo is about the standard on modern instruments.  Personally I don't really feel a major difference unless it is at an extreme of size either super jumbo or extra low tiny stuff smaller than the 'vintage size' seen on reissue stuff.

I have heard that Stainless can affect tone, I have never noticed it... But I have never done a solid A/B comparison of same model / setup with stainless vs. standard.  One would probably have to be Eric Johnson to notice the tone changes fret wire material makes.

I find radius of the fingerboard makes much more difference than the fret wire.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:42:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I really love the vintage feel of small fret wire.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:03:03 AM EDT
[#4]
The stainless steel won't affect my tone nearly as much as my lack of talent will...  

I might go with small because I think that will be closer to what I have been playing lately on other guitars.  

I don't know if this is good or bad, but I have never really thought about fret size before.   I think about pickups, fretboards, strings, and all that stuff.   I just have never paid attention to what frets were on a guitar before I played it.  

Thinking about it will probably mess me up more than anything.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:47:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Have given it more though.
With the guitar you linked... Tele style with a compound radius fingerboard, I would be inclined to to at least vintage size... Likely would go medium jumbo.
With the flatter 15" section I would certainly want a bit more wiggle room that the medium jumbo would provide.

My Gibsons have flattish 12" boards and I find the Medium Jumbo they come with to be very comfortable.
My new Strat has the vintage 7.25" radius and the small vintage wire is comfortable.
Have played some Ibanez with crazy flat 14" or flatter boards and the frets were not small vintage wire.... They were at least medium jumbo if not larger.  I could play it fine but the Wizard neck shape and I didn't click.

If I were to have that guitar built for my use, I'd likely go with a medium wire.  My gut is telling me the board is too flat for vintage/small to work for my playing, but I wouldn't want to go to the opposite extreme either.  Then again, that is going entirely off ME and what I would likely end up preferring.

End of the day, it's likely splitting hairs.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the medium jumbos over anything else. I had a Strat with Dunlop 6100 jumbo frets and didn't care for them over the medium jumbos.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 7:47:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From what little I know, Medium Jumbo is about the standard on modern instruments.  Personally I don't really feel a major difference unless it is at an extreme of size either super jumbo or extra low tiny stuff smaller than the 'vintage size' seen on reissue stuff.

I have heard that Stainless can affect tone, I have never noticed it... But I have never done a solid A/B comparison of same model / setup with stainless vs. standard.  One would probably have to be Eric Johnson to notice the tone changes fret wire material makes.

I find radius of the fingerboard makes much more difference than the fret wire.
View Quote

I think the bridge, nut, and pickups outweigh the fretwire.

I will never get another guitar without stainless frets after getting one with them. They feel silky smooth when compared to nickel frets.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 9:47:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#9]
God bless that Luthier for using stainless frets. That shows he/she truly cares about the longevity of the instrument.  OP no matter what size or shape you choose, please stick with stainless.  Any bullshit you may hear or read about it not having good "tone" is just that - bullshit, perpetuated by Luthiers that are too lazy or unskilled to work it, or by the established fretwire industry that has more non-stainless in stock than they can move for the next 20 years.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 3:46:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I am pretty sure he uses stainless steel for all his guitars unless someone specifically asks him not to.   I went with a smaller size mostly because that is what I am used to playing.  

My touch isn't that heavy so it shouldn't be a problem.  He will also set it up just about any way I want it.  I was able to look look at a few that were in progress.  I am quite confident that it will play like a dream.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#11]
From what I understand, meticulous fretboard prep is key to a stainless fret job.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:31:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the medium jumbos over anything else. I had a Strat with Dunlop 6100 jumbo frets and didn't care for them over the medium jumbos.
View Quote

Me too.  I think my favorite Strats have Dunlop 6105 which are medium jumbo.  These are great for digging in on bends to get that extra shaping of the note that I cannot do on the vintage Strats.

From memory here.... My vintage Strats are Dunlop 6230 with 7.5" radius including the MIJ and MIA reissues. My later MIJ and MIA Strats are Dunlop 6105 with 9.5" radius which I definitely prefer.  MIM Strats feel somewhat like reissue to me so (I have one MIM which I don't think are great, good deal but the neck and nut width seem odd).

I've not tried the variable radius necks that seemed to be popular awhile back.  Unfortunately, this is one of those areas where you just have to play the different necks to see what you like in terms of the fret size, radius, and shape.

Finally, I don't prefer SS frets for no real reason... I just prefer standard fret alloy material.

My current guitars that I play with are:

1- MIA early 90's with PAF at the neck and a custom Seymour Duncan in the bridge, sorta EVH.  This is not the custom shop version, but a custom one that was designed by SD forum members chasing the EVH tone.
2- MIJ late 80's Strat with single coils by SD as well.  This is when I need that single tone sound and the quack.
3- Gibson standard SG (in brown so people don't ask me for AC/DC).
4- 2003 or 04 Epiphone MIK Les Paul Custom in black and gold.  This was a factory 2nds deal by musicians friend via private email. It was made in the most respected Korean factory, and has one small sanding mistake that you have to look hard to find.  It is stamped "2nd" on the back of the headstock before painting.  I think I paid about $250 for it.  This is the custom with the USA electronics.  Heavy as heck but if I don't want to take out the Gibson and risk being stolen or damaged, I use this one.

For when I play bass, I use a 1980 Hondo II Professional Precision replica... no kidding.  I've had other members asking me to play with a Fender as they are embarrassed by the Hondo logo on the headstock.  But, I also had offers to buy it.  It has that classic Pbass tone and growl up the wazzoo for some reason.  It's outfitted with upgraded tuners, badass bass bridge II, and SD pickups (not active).  I've replaced the pots and jack with Fender parts as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top