Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2014 1:44:52 AM EDT
you can't play anymore?

Me, I'm 64 and disabled by chronic and joint pains. I've played guitar since I was 10 years old back in 1960 (no, I'm not a prodigy). I love guitars and it bugs me when it's hard to play. I know there's time to let it go but I don't want to.

Getting old sucks and I still wanna rock.

I refuse to learn/play slow/easy stuff.

Rant over.

ETA: oh yeah, I can't remember shit either.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 3:52:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm only 36 and have tendonitis in my hands from my job.  I can play for short periods of time.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:37:50 AM EDT
[#2]
37 and have broken my left wrist a couple times, also a few boxers fractures in that hand from work.

I certainy can't play near as fast, or as long as I used to.

As a result, my playing is moving more toward blues from the Southern Rock and classic metal sounds.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I am almost 55... and if it were not for modern medicine ..drugs.. I would no longer be able to
continue playing like I do. I have arthritis in my hands, back, neck, knees. I have chronic tendinitis

and nerve pain in my hands and arms. I have three herniated discs in my lower back. My playing has

taken a good hit but I am still able to play at a fair level. I have started to take up bass playing and I

really enjoy it, to try and keep me playing when I just can't do six strings anymore at the level I need to.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I feel you guys and I know I can go to slower music but hard to get the rock out of my soul. All my radios are tuned to rock, especially classic rock and that what I like to play. When I started I was a surf instrumentalist.

I love the 60s and the 70s forever.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#5]
52 here....I play about 2-3 hours per day.

Aleve is your friend.  Aspercreme is your friend

constantly doing finger excercises...

more limber now than I was in my teens (at least in my hands!)

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
you can't play anymore?

Me, I'm 64 and disabled by chronic and joint pains. I've played guitar since I was 10 years old back in 1960 (no, I'm not a prodigy). I love guitars and it bugs me when it's hard to play. I know there's time to let it go but I don't want to.

Getting old sucks and I still wanna rock.

I refuse to learn/play slow/easy stuff.

Rant over.

ETA: oh yeah, I can't remember shit either.
View Quote

I'm 64 and would love to play in a 60/70s band again , I have acoustic and electronic drums and I only play rock , it's really difficult to find guys to form a band with , maybe someone will chime in :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:44:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry for your struggles OP.

Playing has been the center of my existence for the past 30+ years. I'm going-on 47 now and have been having some struggles on and off. I'm hanging in there so far (though I've had to make some adjustments), but I know that one day I'll likely have to give it up, or curtail it far beyond the point of my comfort.

Back in the mid-90s I gave up playing electric to focus on my classical studies and repetoire. I had an entire evening's worth of the classics memorized and started doing some church things and weddings. It felt good to have elevated my game, and I practiced 4-6 hours every night after work. Then I started having some serious issues with my ulnar nerve in my right arm. My arm would go numb from my elbow down. I eventually had to quit doing that. I went back to playing a Strat (the comfort forearm contour really helped with the issue). Fast-forward to several years ago. I get a passion for flamenco style music and start wood-shedding on that again. I write and record a couple of albums' worth of material for that and start gigging around my area. I continued doing that for about 18 months and it felt good, because I was the only person ever to really do that in my region. I liked having my own schtick. But a little over a year ago I had to quit again. The ulnar nerve issues had become an issue again. So I'm back to playing rock and country on Strats and Les Pauls. I still deal with nerve issues, but am able to somewhat keep them in check while standing, playing electric solid-bodies. So I just take comfort in the fact that I can still play [for now at least].  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top