Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2014 7:47:59 AM EDT
Trying to figure out what to buy with my November guitar budget.  Currently I have a crybaby, mxr Hendrix univibe,and a boss chorus.  Playing through a Vox AC15 with mainly fender strats at this time.  The pedals on my list are Ibenez tube screamer TS808dx,MXR dyna comp, Hendrix fuzz face, bonamassa fuzz face,or the new band of gypsies mini fuzz face
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I have that Tube Screamer and like it a lot.  It is one of those classic pedals everyone should have.
Just toyed with an EH Soulfood at the local Guitar Center after hearing rumor it is basically a Klon clone... It is damn close and was 66$
Check the Soulfood out side by side and see which you like better.  A good shop should have the Ibanez and he rest of the OD/Fuzz type pedals.

The DynaComp would probably be my second choice.  It is on my short list of 'next pedal to get'.

Also look at the 'mini' version of the Hendrix fuzz face... AC jack, LED light, same internal circuit as it's big brother (at least claimed)

I now have two Overdrive/distortion pedals on my small (but growing) board... Analogman King of Tone due in a month or two... May grow to three.

BTW, current most used amp is my Vox AC15C1 but I tend toward LesPaul type guitars.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have that Tube Screamer and like it a lot.  It is one of those classic pedals everyone should have.
Just toyed with an EH Soulfood at the local Guitar Center after hearing rumor it is basically a Klon clone... It is damn close and was 66$
Check the Soulfood out side by side and see which you like better.  A good shop should have the Ibanez and he rest of the OD/Fuzz type pedals.

The DynaComp would probably be my second choice.  It is on my short list of 'next pedal to get'.

Also look at the 'mini' version of the Hendrix fuzz face... AC jack, LED light, same internal circuit as it's big brother (at least claimed)

I now have two Overdrive/distortion pedals on my small (but growing) board... Analogman King of Tone due in a month or two... May grow to three.

BTW, current most used amp is my Vox AC15C1 but I tend toward LesPaul type guitars.
View Quote
. I've got the purple AC15 and have always played Les Paul's and SGs until I got a fender that just fits my hands. One of those just feels like it was made for me.  My November budget is $300 since I've logged 24hrs a day for the last 5 days.  Thank the gods for paid stand by so I could get some sleep.  Just having problems deciding on a fuzz face or overdrive.  Know if I get a fuzz face I'll end up buying a marshall cab I saw on Craigslist for what's left over.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Do yourself a favor and check out the EH Soulfood as well.
Super neat low-mid gain OD.
EH website linky
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
EH website linky
View Quote

You need to be a salesman think you just sold me on that after watching the YouTube videos.  Guess I can get that a fuzz face, and maybe a down payment on another amp depending on which fuzz face.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#5]
10 band EQ.

Makes a great tone, a perfect tone.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:25:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You need to be a salesman think you just sold me on that after watching the YouTube videos.  Guess I can get that a fuzz face, and maybe a down payment on another amp depending on which fuzz face.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
EH website linky

I just got one a week ago after doing an A/B with a Klon XLR (think that's the name... Reissue Centaur)..
The mids were slightly different, but not enough different to warrant the extra 500$ for the reissue Klon...or 2K$ for the original Centaur.

It has earned a spot on my board already.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 2:15:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Where's your delay? delay? delay? delay? delay?
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Soul Food as well. It is a great pedal, but is a different flavor from my other ODs.
I also have a MXR Wylde Overdrive and an OCD. If I could only have one, it would be the Wylde. That thing just flat out makes an already distorted amp snarl. When I bought it, I no longer had any desire to buy a Tube Screamer. The OCD is good too, but it's more transparent than the Wylde.
I guess overall I would compare the three this way (and this is how I use them).

The Wylde is what you want if you want to push an already distorted amp into a balls to the wall lead tone.

The OCD is what you want if you want some extra grunt, but don't want it too over the top.

The Soul Food is what you want if you to add a little extra something on top of your tone that enhances it without changing it too much.
As far as compressors go, I would look at either a Wampler Ego or a Keely 4 knob, because they sound great, but also have a mix knob which allows you more control over how much compression you have going on.

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:52:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Monster Effects Swamp Thang Tremelo.

It's such an amazing sounding pedal I actually bought 2 because I liked 2 different settings too much to choose

Edit for reading fail.

Mxr GT OD
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I posted this review on the Seymour Duncan forums this morning...

So this pedal came in the mail on Monday and I'm just now getting a chance to type up a little review. I really didn't have a clue what to expect. I had just seen it used on another forum and the price was right, so my curiosity got the better of me and I bought it.

Firstly, this is the older version with the 24V DC power input. I'm coming to believe that for me, higher voltages (18+) are where it's at for OD pedals. I like the increased headroom, and they just seem more "pissed-off" to me.

I started-out using my Duncan Hot/Cool-Stack loaded Strat running through this pedal into the clean channel of my [blonde] Fender Supersonic Twin. As expected, the pedal was pretty trebly and edgy with the amp in Twin mode. Once I flipped the switch over to Bassman mode, it got much fatter. I'm sure that one could tweak the tone knobs on the amp and pedal to find someone nice for it to live in Twin mode. But I tend to want to let an amp and/or pedal do what it naturally wants to do (keep many of the knobs at the "noon" or halfway point) and just do minor adjustments outside of those. Rather than using one or the other to completely override the other component and have the controls "fighting each other".

Anyways... once I switched over to the Twin's Burn channel, with channel gain set to a slight crunch or "hairy" mode, and then kicked the Destination 5 in... that's when the magic really started to happen. It was just so full, growly, and responsive. I had it setting right next to my buddy's extensively modded TS9 and flipped back and forth a couple of times. I'd previously been enjoying having the TS9 back to play with (it used to me mine). But after a couple of minutes flipping back and forth between it and the Option 5, I unplugged the TS9 and set it aside. The new pedal just had so many more features and sounded so much better. The TS9 sounded thin and nasally in comparison. My crunch rhythms were chunky and meaty (ACDC-ish) and my leads were liquid and soaring (Eric Johnson-ish). I had to remind myself that I was playing one of my Strats and not one of my LPs. This is probably the best rock tone I've ever been able to get out of a Strat. And that includes plugging into my beloved Plexitone.

Next, I pulled-out my 2001 LP Standard and proceeded to spend time there. No tweaking really. Maybe pull the gain down a hair and scoop the mids slightly. Moved the "growl" knob back and forth. I can hear a difference there, but it's not massive. I think I prefer medium to high growl settings. The LP through this pedal, into the Twin was [of course] even more awesome for rock than the Strat was. After playing this combo for a while, I switched over to playing into my Ceriatone RP 18/36 plexi-style head into a V30 loaded Line 6 straight 4x12. Pure rock crunch heaven. I dunno that it was any more heavenly than when I play through my Plexitone using that rig. But it wasn't any less heavenly.

In short... what I know so far is that I really dig this pedal. I've owned two of the original Carl Martin Plexitones and up to this point, NONE of the other OD pedals that I've had since compared (for my tastes). But this pedal does. I'm pretty sure that I much prefer the new pedal if playing a Strat. And if playing an LP, it's more even. I wish the Option 5 had a clean boost (like the PT), but it does have two outputs (which the PT doesn't). So give and take there. I will add to this review after I've spent more time playing LOUD in various different configurations.

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:22:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Where's your delay? delay? delay? delay? delay?
View Quote

Reverb or delay depending on the type of music you like to play.  I like delay with distorted sounds and reverb with cleans though I sometimes combine them.  They fatten up the tone to the degree I rarely play w/o one of the two effects.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 12:13:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted: Firstly, this is the older version with the 24V DC power input. I'm coming to believe that for me, higher voltages (18+) are where it's at for OD pedals. I like the increased headroom, and they just seem more "pissed-off" to me.
View Quote
Great review, and this is exactly why I modded both of my Wylde Overdrives for 18 volts.

I tried one of them at 18 volts on a whim and it made the pedal ballsier with some more snarl. So I did some Googling and found out that both the Wylde and the GT-OD (what the Wylde is based on) only has one component that isn't rated high enough to run constantly at 18 volts, the power filter cap. If you replace it with a cap that's at least rated for 100mf @ 25 volts, you're good to go.

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:17:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Great review, and this is exactly why I modded both of my Wylde Overdrives for 18 volts.

I tried one of them at 18 volts on a whim and it made the pedal ballsier with some more snarl. So I did some Googling and found out that both the Wylde and the GT-OD (what the Wylde is based on) only has one component that isn't rated high enough to run constantly at 18 volts, the power filter cap. If you replace it with a cap that's at least rated for 100mf @ 25 volts, you're good to go.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: Firstly, this is the older version with the 24V DC power input. I'm coming to believe that for me, higher voltages (18+) are where it's at for OD pedals. I like the increased headroom, and they just seem more "pissed-off" to me.

Interdasting.

I have a spare ZW OD I never use. Mod time!

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Interdasting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Interdasting.

Go for it, it's C9 on the circuit board.

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interdasting.

Hmm I'm mid way thru an amp mod. Just have to replace the output transformer now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top