Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2014 1:07:49 PM EDT
I love my Breedlove Passport travel guitar!  I haven't done any 'traveling' with it.  It has just stayed home in the living room where it has had an 'easy life' making music without sustaining any damage.  But the other day I noticed that my guitar strap is scuffing the finish up near the end pin:

WTF?

The big mark you see is where the strap webbing goes over and around the plastic buckle.  The strap is a D'addario Planet Waves quick release strap. Apparently polypropylene webbing will damage a guitar finish.

What do you guys suggest for a better strap that won't mar the finish?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:48:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably one with a quality material on the inside.  Probably a nice suede or velvet.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably one with a quality material on the inside.  Probably a nice suede or velvet.
View Quote

That would make sense, I have a leather strap on my Gretsch hollowbody.  Stitched edge, but smooth and soft on interior face.  No marring on the finish from using that for the past six or seven years.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:14:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I went down to my local music store to see what they had.  Most of their stuff didn't look like it would be much better, but then I found a leather strap with no hardware or sharp plastic edges on it and with a nice soft suede back.  Same as this one:

It is quite comfortable, and it should be safe for any guitar finish.  I wish I had gotten this type of strap for my guitar when I first bought it...

So my second question is:  Does anybody know if the scuffs can be removed / minimized without risking even more damage to the finish?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:54:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I just bought this one tonight off of Ebay.

This is the brand and model# http://www.levysleathers.com/product;cat,0;item,530;Padded-Leather-MSS100CR

I have this one from the same manufacture and I love it.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:40:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I've started using a very soft suede strap on my LP, with hardware store washers over the strap pins as diy strap locks. Lowe's or Home Depot have rubber/neoprene washers size 5/16 x 1 1/4 x 1/16 that work well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:00:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I have always been a fan of Souldier straps.  They are handmade in the USA.

http://souldier.us

If you go to their website you can have one custom made however you like.  You can find them on sites on ebay for less money.

You can also track down some vintage straps sort of like the Souldiers from the 60's and 70's.  I have a couple and the leather is worn down a bit to where it is super soft.  They still work great though.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:08:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got a 2.5" wide suede Franklin strap that works pretty well on my LP. It'll work even better on a lighter guitar.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#8]
This is arfcom, get a VIking tactics strap for your guitar
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This is arfcom, get a VIking tactics strap for your guitar
View Quote

[scratches chin contemplatively)

I could put a swivel cup for the top strap pin. For the bottom, maybe a hunk of picatinny rail. To that, one could attach a swivel cup, maybe some kind of cord keeper, and/or a wireless pack. The padded sling might be very comfy.

On a multicam-painted guitar, it would be an interesting theme. If my silverburst refinish project goes sideways, maybe I'll head that direction.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:58:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

/threadjack

OK, I'm going to take a few points off for the Sonic cab, but otherwise that rig has just won at 80's hard rock.

A tan Kami?  Holy hell I'd give up lefty to have that!
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:25:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
/threadjack

OK, I'm going to take a few points off for the Sonic cab, but otherwise that rig has just won at 80's hard rock.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

/threadjack

The Sonic cab came free with a Line 6 head I bought and it sounds good so I keep it. I did give up "lefty" but that was due to cancer.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#12]
So I ordered another strap online (same as the one I found locally) for another guitar of mine in need of a strap.  Unfortunately, the quality of the leather on this new strap I got is no where near as nice as the first one.  The leather is very stiff and the suede back feels like sandpaper on my neck.  It is quite uncomfortable after just a few minutes of playing.  I tried brushing the back side of the strap with a wire brush to try to soften the suede, but not with much success.  I am wondering if oiling the leather would help?  Has anyone tried using the Huberd's neatsfoot oil or saddle and tack conditioner to soften or condition a leather guitar strap?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I made the switch to couchguitarstraps a while ago and never looked back.  Although, I have straplocks on all my guitars which spaces the strap away from the guitar body about .25 inch or so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top