User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2014 2:49:07 AM EDT
price is out of control
$1200.......$1700 for a ash body model

bolt on neck last time checked, let me check again
Yup
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:08:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Where are you looking?   I just did a quick look online and most that I saw are between $1200 and $1300.

ETA:  I looked at Muscians Friend, ZZounds, and Guitar Center.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:13:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Pretty crazy.

I'd love to have one, but I could pretty much buy every Korean made guitar on my to get list for the cost of one.

I'm pretty sure you could buy everything you need, totally custom, from Warmoth and build your own for less.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:21:32 AM EDT
[#3]
no I have a 1991 almost vintage 25 years right
paid $450
plain black Maple neck
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:28:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pretty crazy.

I'd love to have one, but I could pretty much buy every Korean made guitar on my to get list for the cost of one.

I'm pretty sure you could buy everything you need, totally custom, from Warmoth and build your own for less.
View Quote

crazy 1K would buy a Les Paul standard
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:32:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty crazy.

Check out the Gibson is jacking their prices for 2015 thread.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:06:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty crazy.

It's been a good while since LP Standards have been 1k, even used... Locally.
The abused and sometimes damaged ones are over 1500 locally currently.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty crazy.

good I have 2 one signed by Les
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:52:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Fender's prices are sane compared Gibson's.

But, meh, whatever, I'm kinda on a Japanese Jackson Dinky kick anyway.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:14:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Fender's prices are sane compared Gibson's.

But, meh, whatever, I'm kinda on a Japanese Jackson Dinky kick anyway.
View Quote

I know we have a whole thread on it already... but it blows my mind that a 2015 Gibson LP Standard is basically the same price as a Custom Shop (admittedly Line Built, not Master Built Custom) Fender.
Almost makes Fender Custom Shop seem a bargain .
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Wait for the year end blow out sales. I bought my 2013 LP traditional for $1600.00 delivered to my door last year from Sweetwater.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wait for the year end blow out sales. I bought my 2013 LP traditional for $1600.00 delivered to my door last year from Sweetwater.
View Quote

Would you do that with a American standard strat though?   There is no way I would buy one of those without playing it first.   They are by far the guitar that seems to have biggest difference in sound from guitar to guitar.

I went through a wall of them at GC once.  Some of them sounded pretty good and others sounded like shit.

I wouldn't be as worried with a les paul....  Just my opinion though.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:12:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I just purchased a 2006 American Telecaster deluxe in cherry burst for $850, damn nice shape w/case. Craigslist, ............every once in a while it shines.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:17:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

2013 they got me for a Goldtop Studio for right around 1k.... 2014 they got me for a Melody Maker for under 550$.... bastards.
I get the odd feeling they'll get me again someday if an SG standard shows up (without that damn auto-tuner thingy) for the right price.

Both guitars are superb.  Setup out of the box perfectly with my requested strings.  Intonation dead nuts ON with the Melody Maker (and the Goldtop as well...)... I was shocked.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Would you do that with a American standard strat though?   There is no way I would buy one of those without playing it first.   They are by far the guitar that seems to have biggest difference in sound from guitar to guitar.

I went through a wall of them at GC once.  Some of them sounded pretty good and others sounded like shit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I would through Sweetwater. I have come to a personal view that GC sells seconds. I have

played lots of guitars at Sweetwater and GC and there is a huge difference in the quality of product from the same brands.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:07:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think I would through Sweetwater. I have come to a personal view that GC sells seconds. I have    played lots of guitars at Sweetwater and GC and there is a huge difference in the quality of product from the same brands.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I would through Sweetwater. I have come to a personal view that GC sells seconds. I have    played lots of guitars at Sweetwater and GC and there is a huge difference in the quality of product from the same brands.

I have a Guitar Center about 3 miles from the house... Sam Ash as well.
I go to both and finger bang product... tend to buy strings, picks and such there.

Sweetwater has sold me my last two new guitars.  Both came out of the shipping box perfectly setup and in tune.
I don't think GC sells seconds... I think that they just do a proper setup at Sweetwater where Guitar Center tunes it and throws it on the wall.  I played both models I bought from Sweetwater prior at both Sam Ash and GC... worlds apart in playability, but I don't think physical product is different that they get in.
Bought a used Gibson at the local Sam Ash a while back... it had rusty strings and wasn't setup at all.  Once I fixed those issues, a superb instrument emerged.

I suppose what I'm saying is:  Sweetwater has proven to me they are GTG on new instruments.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:38:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I go to both and finger bang product... tend to buy strings, picks and such there.

Sweetwater has sold me my last two new guitars.  Both came out of the shipping box perfectly setup and in tune.
I don't think GC sells seconds... I think that they just do a proper setup at Sweetwater where Guitar Center tunes it and throws it on the wall.  I played both models I bought from Sweetwater prior at both Sam Ash and GC... worlds apart in playability, but I don't think physical product is different that they get in.
Bought a used Gibson at the local Sam Ash a while back... it had rusty strings and wasn't setup at all.  Once I fixed those issues, a superb instrument emerged.

I suppose what I'm saying is:  Sweetwater has proven to me they are GTG on new instruments.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I pretty much only go to GC to check out the used gear section.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 6:46:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Guitar Center isn't the only place I have noticed that about American strats and teles.   I have noticed it in smaller music stores too.  However, they never have as many hanging on the walls as GC does.  I almost always have to fiddle with a telecaster a bit at GC if I want to try one, but I don't do that very often.  

I have also seen a couple youtube videos comparing strats/teles side by side.  

I love strats... My favorite guitar is a strat.  I just would be really nervous paying that much on a strat blind, or a telecaster.  Of course, I would probably have one custom made if I wanted a tele.  There is a luthier that will custom make them around here for that price.  

On the flip side, not many of the people I know that have strats have kept them completely stock.  So maybe it doesn't matter much in the end.  I don't play telecasters nearly as often.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the same with LPs. I read about this guy who asked his friend at a music shop to hand pick an LP for him after the shipment comes in. He did and the guy came over and was handed a Studio. What? No Deluxe or Traditional ?? Play it friend and you'll know why.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#19]
YEa, Fender is out of control.  I remember a custom shop guitar was about 1300.  This was only 10 years ago.  The best thing to do is go on ebay and buy a 80's-90's tele.  Better quality and cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
YEa, Fender is out of control.  I remember a custom shop guitar was about 1300.  This was only 10 years ago.  The best thing to do is go on ebay and buy a 80's-90's tele.  Better quality and cheaper.
View Quote

Perusing 70s - 90s Standards Strats and Teles now... Any particular model years better than others?

So far the only model year I want to avoid is 1983 thanks to that odd removal of a tone knob and putting the plug in its spot on the Strat.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 7:08:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not doubting your word, but are you sure? I remember the American standard start being right at $700 about 22 years ago. I think fenders prices seem right in line with inflation but I haven't done the math.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not doubting your word, but are you sure? I remember the American standard start being right at $700 about 22 years ago. I think fenders prices seem right in line with inflation but I haven't done the math.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought my first American Std. Strat in '94 for $550.
I bought my American Std. Tele and American Std. ash Strat around 2000 for $750 and $800 respectively.
I'll be assembling my own strats or teles from now on.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I bought my American Std. Tele and American Std. ash Strat around 2000 for $750 and $800 respectively.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is as I remember.

I also remember the American Fenders I had from the late '90s era (Strat, Jazz V Deluxe) being none too impressive, quality-wise.  Actually, this is the first time I've ever heard '80s and '90s Fenders touted as having better quality than much of anything!  Especially in the early '80s, where cost cutting at Fender was at its measurable, absolute worst!
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Played an American tele that was a monster out of the box recently. I also saw two american strats that didn't have the nut cut for the strings.

These new prices make vintage instruments a real option.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This is as I remember.

I also remember the American Fenders I had from the late '90s era (Strat, Jazz V Deluxe) being none too impressive, quality-wise.  Actually, this is the first time I've ever heard '80s and '90s Fenders touted as having better quality than much of anything!  Especially in the early '80s, where cost cutting at Fender was at its measurable, absolute worst!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is as I remember.

I've played A LOT of Fenders and it is my opinion that the late-90s/early-2000s Fenders are of the highest quality.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Paid $825 out the door for my new US 57 RI Strat, about the same for my new SRV Strat. Paid $400 for a used '83 Fullerton made '62 RI Strat.
I remember the Cunnetto Custom Shop relics selling new for $1800.
Guitar pricing has become insane.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Emerald Ash Borer has wiped out much of the plank size ash trees in the country.  It seems that 10 years ago that alder and ash were priced the same commercially, now it seems that ash has been going up as supply is shrinking.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:32:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I bought a new American standard strat from GC a couple of weeks ago for $1063.  My guitar instructor went with me to help pick one out.  He's a huge strat fan and he played every american strat GC had in the store.  The one I ended up with was the only one he said was a good one.
Olympic white with rosewood fretboard.  My first electric guitar.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I bought a new American standard strat from GC a couple of weeks ago for $1063.  My guitar instructor went with me to help pick one out.  He's a huge strat fan and he played every american strat GC had in the store.  The one I ended up with was the only one he said was a good one.

View Quote
Congrats!
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oly White with rosewood is as about as good as a Strat can look, absolute classic! Congrats, enjoy!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top