BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:05:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't really hate them, because some guys get get good tones out of them, but I don't like the tones I get out of them. They just don't fit the way I play.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks much improved.
I think the black EMG's will be a great addition and provide some necessary contrast.

As for active vs passive....My guitars are like my guns, sometimes I just want something different whether it makes sense or not. If its fun that's all that matters. I have an old Epi LP that I use for a beater  with EMG's. It gets flamed on ALL the time, but I like playing it and it serves its purpose well.

I really don't get all the EMG hate. I have them on both of my guitars and I love them, you just gotta be careful to not kill your tone by using ALL THE GAIN all the time.
I don't really hate them, because some guys get get good tones out of them, but I don't like the tones I get out of them. They just don't fit the way I play.

I could see that. It probably doesn't help that most guys who use them scoop the shit out of their mids, crank the gain to 11, and smash the sound to hell.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Is this finished?
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Not yet. That's thanks to a combination of weeks of house guests, holidays, and this being our busiest time of year at work. Next step is sanding a couple nibs from the black sides, clear coat spraying/curing/sanding, fret work, and assembly. The refinish time also took a hit when I decided to start taking lessons again.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Better to take your time and do it right then to rush it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:25:11 PM EDT
[#5]
All the "painting 101" instruction pages emphasize not sanding metallic paint before clear. You might think to yourself, "just gently taking off some dust with 1500 or 2000 grit would be ok." Don't think that. It's wrong. Very, very wrong.

Mid-misadventure musings:
1- I don't mind EMGs in some guitars & players. David Gilmour comes to mind.
2- If I'd picked up extra shifts at work in an equivalent number of hours spent so far, I'd have made enough to buy the PRS C22 Artist one of my colleagues is trying to sell me. I think I'll ask my wife for his guitar for our upcoming 15th wedding anniversary.

ETA: airbrush touch up of metal flake and subsequent clear coat on hold for cold weather. My space heater is too feeble to bring the garage temp up enough.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:19:54 AM EDT
[#6]
It's polished, assembled, wired, and playable!

Will it win any awards for a high quality paint job? No. There are plenty of flaws and learning scars.

Does it look good from 3-6 feet away? I think so. I hit the back of the neck with clear lacquer and gave it a satin feel, and managed to preserve the serial number decal. The shiny line on the back is a reflection, not a big scratch.

Once the string and neck tension settle in, I'll tweak the action and consider doing a fret recrown. It's the only guitar I have that's not tuned to standard E. It's currently drop D since I've never messed with that, but I'll probably just go D standard since I'm still learning chord & scale shapes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:54:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Now that's a metal guitar. :)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top