Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/6/2014 7:07:58 PM EDT
Caveats to the following:
I've never had wood nor auto body shop. My general level of finish work on painted surfaces rivals that of an average 3rd grader. I've never refinished a guitar. This will be very picture-heavy.

A couple years ago, I picked up a nearly destroyed MIJ square heel Ibanez RG570. The neck had stress cracks that were decently glued, along with some deep dents on the back. The body and headstock had serious dents and cracks, and the Edge tremolo was ditched in favor of some generic licensed FR. I've obtained another original Edge, and will probably drop in an extra set of EMG pickups. The planned color is an ambitious black to pearly blue burst.

I disassembled it, stripped the poly, and stashed it in a drawer for a long time, and now am embarking on a journey of madness. Not pictured are the "before" pics of the original paint and body damage, the heat gun stripping, the neck damage that's currently mask taped, or the first failed primer job from this week (that's the white color).

Gently scorched, stripped, and block sanded to 150 grit.

Some of the damage, in varying stages of filling:
Body cracks:

Pieces broken off:

Dents, dings, general mayhem:

Headstock:

The first go-around with what I thought was smooth sanding and repair still looked awful after wasting a can of Duplicolor primer trying to build. I attempted a little glaze, which promptly dissolved the primer. I re-stripped and sanded to 150, and applied a lacquer-based glazing putty. My skill with glaze will make auto body and paint experts laugh or vomit. Much sanding will be required, and hopefully it won't crack or shrink.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:11:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool.

I have a basket case Jackson Dinky laying around that I need to do that with. What did you use to strip it?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:19:03 PM EDT
[#2]

I would do a borox swirl on that one.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:36:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool.

I have a basket case Jackson Dinky laying around that I need to do that with. What did you use to strip it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Cool.

Primary poly stripping was with a Harbor Freight heat gun, rigid putty knife (don't do this, as it makes more gouges if you have gorilla hands like me), lacquer thinner, and finally sandpaper.  Lots of sanding. Also enough naphtha throughout sanding to make the neighbor's cat a little woozy. I used DAP plastic wood filler for the deepest cracks and the bottom strap button mess.

Once stripped, the condition of the body revealed itself as even worse than it looked with paint. This guitar was heavily abused, so it would be a write-off anyway. Later in the project, it will also be my learning mule for fret refinishing.

It took working the entire body and lots of glaze before I started to get the hang of smoothing the stuff on. When this application cracks and falls off, I'll know what to do to replace it.

Quoted:

I would do a borox swirl on that one.

Hmm. You do have a point. It is an RG, the "poor man's JEM."
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:04:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow!  That's pretty beat up!  Old RGs seemed to be pretty strong guitars considering their light weight and thin necks, but I guess everything succumbs to abuse eventually.

A tilt neck joint would place that in the late '80s all the way up until 1993, I think.  I have a friend with an RG570 with the tilt neck joint, V7/V8 humbuckers, and the super-wacky SB2 blade humbucker.  Dates to 1992 or so, if the Ibanez Wiki is correct.  He will *never* get rid of that guitar!
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:24:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Wow!  That's pretty beat up!  Old RGs seemed to be pretty strong guitars considering their light weight and thin necks, but I guess everything succumbs to abuse eventually.

A tilt neck joint would place that in the late '80s all the way up until 1993, I think.  I have a friend with an RG570 with the tilt neck joint, V7/V8 humbuckers, and the super-wacky SB2 blade humbucker.  Dates to 1992 or so, if the Ibanez Wiki is correct.  He will *never* get rid of that guitar!
View Quote
Basswood is pretty soft, and dents easily.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:37:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nooo kidding. My gateway drug into early RGs back around '92 was my basswood RG770 that fell off the Hoshino distributor's wall. The wood got smacked badly, but the Ibanez tech gurus made sure it was totally playable. It still is an amazing guitar to play, and I'll never get rid of it either. I had another tilt neck basswood RG and sold it, and still have an AANJ (mahogany) S540 that I'll also never sell.

This basswood body is also obviously stupid soft, which is why it's going to wear a second skin of glazing putty and opaque paint. I'm worried I'm going to dent it with the blasts of compressed air I'm using to blow off sawdust.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:40:38 PM EDT
[#7]
More pics to follow. It's sanding night. If I'd worked extra shifts for the amount of time spent so far, not bought this train wreck in the first place, and not purchased so many supplies, I'd be playing a decent 1990s Universe or mildly ratty MIJ JEM.

Do not use a full 4.5oz lacquer glaze on a guitar. It's probably overkill, and most will end up as sawdust on the floor.

On the upside, many of the cracks look better with some glaze and 220 grit sanding. It won't be perfect, but hopefully better than it was.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:30:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nooo kidding. My gateway drug into early RGs back around '92 was my basswood RG770 that fell off the Hoshino distributor's wall. The wood got smacked badly, but the Ibanez tech gurus made sure it was totally playable. It still is an amazing guitar to play, and I'll never get rid of it either. I had another tilt neck basswood RG and sold it, and still have an AANJ (mahogany) S540 that I'll also never sell.

This basswood body is also obviously stupid soft, which is why it's going to wear a second skin of glazing putty and opaque paint. I'm worried I'm going to dent it with the blasts of compressed air I'm using to blow off sawdust.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a 770FM w/ EMG 81/SA/HA pickups around '90-'92. Wish I still had it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:25:15 AM EDT
[#9]
770FM. I don't think I've even seen one of those in the flesh, so to speak.

My wife came out and saw the progress tonight. She laughed and told me it looked the same as when I started, "but pinker."

The discerning eye will indeed see that it is again sanded and remarkably similar to the starting point. The major difference seems to be the amount of putty dust I had to sweep out with a leaf blower.  That, and now 220 grit instead of 180.  Also, some of the worst finish damage is marginally improved. Today's learning point: Don't waste glazing putty. It will take a long time to sand.

Tomorrow afternoon is forecast for 77 degrees and sunny. It's a bit humid, but I'm planning to screw a stick into the neck pocket and primer the guitarsicle.

My RG770DXLB (bad phone pics):

The carnage on the body allowed me to get an otherwise unobtanium guitar on my budget then. I'm too nostalgic to refinish it. It has little collector value but tons of sentiment. I traded my very first guitar - hot pink Kramer - and a few weeks of Ramen noodle budget for the RG.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Love the 770!  Thing's metal as hell!
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:35:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks. I love the thing, and recently went over the setup to fine tune it a bit. It needed a little neck shimming and less truss rod tension/back bow. IIRC the action is now somewhere around 1mm at the 6th string 12th fret with negligible buzz.

My BIL is a session guitarist in LA and didn't want to put it down when he came to visit. His comment was, "man, this thing plays itself!"

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
770FM. I don't think I've even seen one of those in the flesh, so to speak.

My wife came out and saw the progress tonight. She laughed and told me it looked the same as when I started, "but pinker."

The discerning eye will indeed see that it is again sanded and remarkably similar to the starting point. The major difference seems to be the amount of putty dust I had to sweep out with a leaf blower.  That, and now 220 grit instead of 180.  Also, some of the worst finish damage is marginally improved. Today's learning point: Don't waste glazing putty. It will take a long time to sand.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t151/sleepdr/Guitar/69FB7533-0BC9-4C70-8346-F7E9AC754826_zpsno8dhesy.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t151/sleepdr/Guitar/9EC8540C-6A2D-4B31-9F06-489D8BBFEBB1_zpsevabligm.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t151/sleepdr/Guitar/718298B8-105B-4CBF-A878-808D72574B5F_zpsw2zfyuhd.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t151/sleepdr/Guitar/61ABDF8A-9A5C-4C88-B587-3777FD79BD87_zps7xmnirpa.jpg

Tomorrow afternoon is forecast for 77 degrees and sunny. It's a bit humid, but I'm planning to screw a stick into the neck pocket and primer the guitarsicle.

My RG770DXLB (bad phone pics):
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t151/sleepdr/Guitar/86FEFFDB-AEA3-4D6A-A0D7-E6EE75A68E4E_zpskhruk43c.jpg

The carnage on the body allowed me to get an otherwise unobtanium guitar on my budget then. I'm too nostalgic to refinish it. It has little collector value but tons of sentiment. I traded my very first guitar - hot pink Kramer - and a few weeks of Ramen noodle budget for the RG.
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t151/sleepdr/Guitar/5A54D9E2-4DEE-4C1C-B03E-CA5B64EC1A26_zpss0cdybzl.jpg

View Quote

I had a Focus 6000. It was my second guitar, but first decent one.
The Ibanez was my third. I worked my ass off one summer to buy it.
The Kramer factory color was a sort of vintage white. It took a hit one day; paint and wood damage.
I did the sanding and wood repair. I refinished it in snakeskin by Jim O'Conner through Wayne Charvel in Calimesa.
I went the way of strats and teles around '94, but I've been wanting a soloist-Floyd-type guitar again.
I still have the original Floyd from the Kramer that I need to restore for a Warmoth build.
Your thread is motivating.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Hopefully more pics to come later today. Retaping the cavities is a nuisance. Parent-teacher conferences have higher priority.

Tier one painting stand, complete with sandbox play sand ballast:

ETA:

Totally intentional tiger stripe finish, there. Ouch.  Hopefully a couple more coats will make it sandable to smooth.  Tomorrow will be sanding day. Again.

The runs don't look as bad from 6 feet away.

[img]

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:29:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I had a Focus 6000. It was my second guitar, but first decent one.
The Ibanez was my third. I worked my ass off one summer to buy it.
The Kramer factory color was a sort of vintage white. It took a hit one day; paint and wood damage.
I did the sanding and wood repair. I refinished it in snakeskin by Jim O'Conner through Wayne Charvel in Calimesa.
I went the way of strats and teles around '94, but I've been wanting a soloist-Floyd-type guitar again.
I still have the original Floyd from the Kramer that I need to restore for a Warmoth build.
Your thread is motivating.
View Quote

That's like a Who's Who of 1980s superstrat.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Guide coat, in preparation for sanding the filler primer.  

Come to think of it, that would actually be a pretty cool look for the finish. Too bad this was just throwaway rattle can enamel spritzed over the primer.

There may actually be a guitar hiding in there somewhere.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:08:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Pros do this better and faster, but I'm happy with the progress this far. It's definitely a learning process. There are a couple small sand-throughs on this layer of primer filler, but that should be ok since the next coat is primer sealer. Progress is slow between work and an annoying upper respiratory infection.

The neck pocket cracks look better.

The main body cracks and dents smoothed nicely.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:05:38 AM EDT
[#17]
If you have the time, check out this website for refinishing tips and tricks books this site sells. (no I am not affiliated with him at all)

He use to have sample videos of the work he shows you the step by step how to do these, but they are gone now for some reason. I have this book below and it's impossible to mess up with the way he details everything.

There is also a link to a sister site there that sells vinyl wraps.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:00:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the links.

I have a lead on a 1990s Japanese-made Jackson King V with EMGs installed. I'd be tempted to grab it for the under $200 and 2hr drive asking price (worth it for the pickups) and refinish it with some decals or something gaudy.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Thanks for the links.

I have a lead on a 1990s Japanese-made Jackson King V with EMGs installed. I'd be tempted to grab it for the under $200 and 2hr drive asking price (worth it for the pickups) and refinish it with some decals or something gaudy.
View Quote
Bolt on or neck through? Either way, if the guitar is in good shape it's easily worth more than that. Japanese built Jacksons have been gaining in value recently. Do you know which version of the King V it is?

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:49:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Bolt on or neck through? Either way, if the guitar is in good shape it's easily worth more than that. Japanese built Jacksons have been gaining in value recently. Do you know which version of the King V it is?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the links.

Not yet. I think it's a bolt-neck Standard, but don't know much about Jackson's. It has 24 frets, reverse headstock, fin inlays, "professional" script on headstock, and blank truss rod cover.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:30:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Not yet. I think it's a bolt-neck Standard, but don't know much about Jackson's. It has 24 frets, reverse headstock, fin inlays, "professional" script on headstock, and blank truss rod cover.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the links.

That doesn't sound right. The bolt on ones that said "Professional" on the headstock were 22 frets with dots. The neck through ones, however were 24 fret with the sharkfin inlays. If it is in fact a neck through, you have a score on your hands.

Here's a website that explains it a little: http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/jackson-pro-professional.php

Also, don't let the Polar body turn you off it's tone is very similar to Alder.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:50:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't actually find an OEM model that corresponds well. It has a Floyd Rose trem, consistent with Standards, but the neck looks like early 1990s Pro. Without a serial number, I can only guess that it's a parts guitar priced at a decent part-it-out price. I'm suspecting it wouldn't be worth the time and money expense to chase it, once I factor in 5 hours of round trip driving in my gas-guzzling truck.

This is the guy's ad:
http://boise.craigslist.org/msg/4614946344.html
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:01:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Are you going to put an a Ibanez decal back on the headstock?
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:17:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Haven't decided what to do with the headstock. Solid color vs mini version of the body, decal vs no. I'm doing my best to keep the rear headstock s/n and MIJ decals intact. The lightly rubber-stamped ink in the neck pocket succumbed to blue painter's tape. It's still technically an Ibanez, in fact more so since I'm putting an original Edge back in there, so I wouldn't feel bad about using a decal.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:00:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I don't actually find an OEM model that corresponds well. It has a Floyd Rose trem, consistent with Standards, but the neck looks like early 1990s Pro. Without a serial number, I can only guess that it's a parts guitar priced at a decent part-it-out price. I'm suspecting it wouldn't be worth the time and money expense to chase it, once I factor in 5 hours of round trip driving in my gas-guzzling truck.

This is the guy's ad:

http://boise.craigslist.org/msg/4614946344.html
View Quote
The MIJ bolt on Jacksons have the serial number on the metal plate where the neck screws go into the back of the body, so that's why there's no serial number on the headstock. If it's a neck through, I'm guessing the serial number would be stamped on the fretboard between the 24th fret and the neck pickup. This is how the USA neck through models are marked (stamped by hand so the numbers aren't exactly straight) so I'm guessing it would be the same.

I would have him send good close up pics of the guitar, especially the areas I mentioned before making the trip. But like I said, if it's a real MIJ King V, it's worth it. Also have him send some closeups of the pickups. Some of the cheaper Jacksons have Jackson branded passive pickups that look like active pickups on the outside, and the Jackson logo is in the same place as the EMG logo.

And part of me does wonder if that isn't a parts guitar too. It could just as easily be an X or JS series that came with a liscensed Floyd and had a Professional neck slapped on it.

One more thing, I've called into the customer service number on Jackson's website and it sent me to a Fender call center, which makes sense, since Fender owns Jackson. I had questions about a Jackson Dinky I got in a trade here on the EE (thanks again Clharr), and the Fender guy was more than helpful. He punched up the serial number on his computer and told me when it was made, what pickups it originally came with, ect. They have all the Jackson stuff in their database, so if you can get the serial number off of the seller, you'll be able to find out what's up.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:06:09 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Haven't decided what to do with the headstock. Solid color vs mini version of the body, decal vs no. I'm doing my best to keep the rear headstock s/n and MIJ decals intact. The lightly rubber-stamped ink in the neck pocket succumbed to blue painter's tape. It's still technically an Ibanez, in fact more so since I'm putting an original Edge back in there, so I wouldn't feel bad about using a decal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, technically you're restoring that Ibanez, so I don't see a problem with putting an Ibanez decal on the headstock.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:13:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Damn. I might decal my trusty ole MightyMite
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:13:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Progress is delayed because OWWW! Miserable cheap chicom folding workbench collapsed with the weight of my vise and crushed my finger between the legs.

Monkey... guzzling... son of a... 2$ crack house prostitute, that hurt. The leg buckled backwards, so trying to lift the weight actually ground it further into the joint. Good thing I don't make my living with hand dexterity. Oh, wait, I do. Might be having a little chat with a hand surgeon if it's hurt as badly as it feels.

Until then a teaser. In ARFCom style, I'm embracing the danger of buying and using a gun without training. And it's a cheap gun, too. One of the docs I work with has a $1500 HVLP gun. I have a $16 Harbor Freight "HVLP gun."

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:39:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Sorry about your hand dude. I know that hurt.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:36:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Sorry to hear about your hand dude!

This was the results of me trying to work on a FAL years ago. Wife says it would of been cheaper to just have gone out and bought one this! I was using an Exacto knife to open up a sanding disk to shave down the barrel threads to get it timed correctly.

I have the smaller "detail" version of that gun. Be careful, it spits once in awhile while spraying. Make sure to spray some sample material a few times before committing to the guitar.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:24:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This was the results of me trying to work on a FAL years ago. Wife says it would of been cheaper to just have gone out and bought one this! I was using an Exacto knife to open up a sanding disk to shave down the barrel threads to get it timed correctly.

<a href="http://s212.photobucket.com/user/cozmacozmy/media/booboo.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/cozmacozmy/booboo.jpg</a>

I have the smaller "detail" version of that gun. Be careful, it spits once in awhile while spraying. Make sure to spray some sample material a few times before committing to the guitar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

<a href="http://s212.photobucket.com/user/cozmacozmy/media/booboo.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/cozmacozmy/booboo.jpg</a>

Wow. I hope your wife thinks scars are sexy. I'm trying to convince my wife of that, one ER visit at a time.

Quoted:

Yes, yes it is, for those that missed it the first time. I was touching up a tiny sand through today and chasing the trem insert threads to clean them out. A momentary lapse of attention meant two new dents in the body from the dropped trem stud.

I'm not even buying primer in rattle cans any more. Tonight's auto parts store trip netted a quart of filler primer and gallon of reducer for the next few mistakes. Also following me home was a quart of silver lacquer to go along with the black. Overwhelming straw poll results (including my long-suffering wife's opinion) now say "silverburst."

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:15:51 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Wow. I hope your wife thinks scars are sexy. I'm trying to convince my wife of that, one ER visit at a time.

Yes, yes it is, for those that missed it the first time. I was touching up a tiny sand through today and chasing the trem insert threads to clean them out. A momentary lapse of attention meant two new dents in the body from the dropped trem stud.

I'm not even buying primer in rattle cans any more. Tonight's auto parts store trip netted a quart of filler primer and gallon of reducer for the next few mistakes. Also following me home was a quart of silver lacquer to go along with the black. Overwhelming straw poll results (including my long-suffering wife's opinion) now say "silverburst."

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

She definitely kicked my ass for that one!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#33]
The Hazard Fraught HVLP gun spits like an MLB pitcher. I managed to get one edge of the guitar with nice coverage at the end, but the rest looks awful. Back to the wet sanding.

I may just 86 the HVLP gun, dilute the snot out of the color coats, and paint it with my airbrush and its little 0.35mm tip.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Get some old cardboard boxes and make a few trial runs on them with the paint gun.  For what it's worth that's what I did before trying to paint anything.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:35:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Are there burrs inside the jet or on the needle?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:12:14 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't know whether there are burrs, whether the practice wood & paper I used for setup were enough, if the paint was thinned properly, the HF cheapo gun sucks, or if I'm just on the bad part of the learning curve for a bigger spray gun.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:22:25 AM EDT
[#37]
I don't want to say I told you so... but I told you so. The one I had from HF spit like mad as well. I wasn't doing any detail work with it so I never messed around with it to get it right. Hope you get it figured out!
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#38]
The compressor got dialed all the way back from "disintegrate," past "kill," and back to "stun."

I've now graduated from spitty, over-dry paint spray to orange peel. Woohoo! I'm going to try not to sand this coat back to the Stone Age, and hopefully salvage it.

Preview of things to come:

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:10:00 PM EDT
[#39]
$35 HF detail gun to the rescue!

That's a furring strip screwed into the neck pocket, as mentioned before. A couple c-clamps hold it to the garage storage shelving as an ersatz drying rack.

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#40]
The airbrush burst turned out ok on the headstock.

I'm going to let this stew for a couple days and see how I feel about the teardrop burst airbrushed on the body. There are a couple coats of clear between the black and the silver, so I could conceivably sand back the black or try to feather it better. Will paint the back and sides, maybe with the detail HVLP gun to see how they turn out. If better, I'll redo the front of the body.

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:47:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Are you spraying inward or outward when doing the burst?
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 2:04:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Outward with a 0.35mm needle & nozzle in a dual-action airbrush. I'm thinking that's the right size for the headstock, but the body might need the detail gun.

Think I should sand or re-silver and try the other direction? Maybe follow all body contours and get some silver back in the horns?
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 9:00:48 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Outward with a 0.35mm needle & nozzle in a dual-action airbrush. I'm thinking that's the right size for the headstock, but the body might need the detail gun.

Think I should sand or re-silver and try the other direction? Maybe follow all body contours and get some silver back in the horns?
View Quote
No, I wouldn't change direction. That's the way I've always been told/read that it should be done.

I do like the idea of following the body contours, which is probably what I would do.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#44]
I'll probably knock the black off and follow the contours next time.

The combination of suboptimal work-light illumination and a small airbrush made it hard to judge paint quality & contours on the body. I'm not satisfied with the results.

ETA: project suspended indefinitely due to miserable weather. 7-8" wet snow at the end of last week, single digit and subzero temps, and my garage door keeps freezing to the ground. I had hoped to finish this before the winter, but no joy.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:14:20 AM EDT
[#45]
There are spots where it could be better, but I'm much more satisfied with what is best called a "dirty silver burst."

Straw poll for those still awake enough to read the thread:
A: Paint the EMGs silver
B: Leave the EMGs black

FWIW, the hardware is all black, and the pickup rings are currently black. I'm leaning towards "B."

My other guitars have nice passives from DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, Gibson, and TV Jones. Let's save the active vs passive debate for another time.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:31:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Your second spray looks much better to me... Following shape and contour work better IMHO.
And to your second question... I'd go with black pickups.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:52:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Looks much improved.
I think the black EMG's will be a great addition and provide some necessary contrast.

As for active vs passive....My guitars are like my guns, sometimes I just want something different whether it makes sense or not. If its fun that's all that matters. I have an old Epi LP that I use for a beater  with EMG's. It gets flamed on ALL the time, but I like playing it and it serves its purpose well.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Looks much improved.
I think the black EMG's will be a great addition and provide some necessary contrast.

As for active vs passive....My guitars are like my guns, sometimes I just want something different whether it makes sense or not. If its fun that's all that matters. I have an old Epi LP that I use for a beater  with EMG's. It gets flamed on ALL the time, but I like playing it and it serves its purpose well.
View Quote

I really don't get all the EMG hate. I have them on both of my guitars and I love them, you just gotta be careful to not kill your tone by using ALL THE GAIN all the time.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Looks much better, and I'd leave the pickups black.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I really don't get all the EMG hate. I have them on both of my guitars and I love them, you just gotta be careful to not kill your tone by using ALL THE GAIN all the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks much improved.

I don't really hate them, because some guys get get good tones out of them, but I don't like the tones I get out of them. They just don't fit the way I play.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top