Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2014 4:45:57 PM EDT
I haven't looked into anything like this in 30 years.

I want to record my marshall (which still works great btw), and don't want to rattle the place too often.

What should I look at?

Also, I am considering a Mesa Boogie, but know little about them. I like the idea of a combo, but also think that the Mark 5 5:25 looks pretty good. What models would you suggest?  A lot of the stuff I do, will require a kind of clean pristine sound, but I always liked the lead sound that Brad Gillis got back in the day. A good crunch would be nice too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#1]
If you like a good clean sound and decent crunch and are looking at Mesa, it might be worthwhile to check out the Express Plus 5:25.  It's a neat little amp.  The TransAtlantic 15W model is cool, too, but you'd have to check to see if the second channel is to your liking; the cleans are stellar, though!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:12:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you like a good clean sound and decent crunch and are looking at Mesa, it might be worthwhile to check out the Express Plus 5:25.  It's a neat little amp.  The TransAtlantic 15W model is cool, too, but you'd have to check to see if the second channel is to your liking; the cleans are stellar, though!
View Quote

Thanks. I did look at the Mesa web page for that amp.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:59:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That Mesa CabClone might work for you: http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/pedals/cab-clone-simulator.html
View Quote

I saw that and read the page. I'm concerned that it really might not sound like they say it does direct out. I've had a POD, and another line6 amp and I'm afraid that it might sound fake/buzzy. Anyone ever try one?

I'll search the web for reviews, demos

ETA: I didn't realize that it's a power soak too. Interesting.

Correction, not an attenuator

Youtube comments are mixed.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:39:25 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're still wanting to mic a real cab, an isolation box and power soak might work well. For living room level play, I've been happy with a Bad Cat Leash with 50-60W tube amps. If you want to spend $ on a new amp, Mesa just released a 25W version of the Mark V that includes the Cab Clone.

If they'd had that out a couple months ago, I'd likely have purchased one of those instead of my 90W Mk V combo.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
, Mesa just released a 25W version of the Mark V that includes the Cab Clone.

View Quote

Is it the mark5 5:25?

I'm leaning towards that, but I wish the made it in a combo.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#7]
A Two Notes Torpedo is on my to get list. I don't know which version I will end up with (probably at least a Live since it's also a load box), but the ability to either use Two Note's IRs, third party IRs, or your own IRs, is attractive.So that's my recommendation.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:25:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
, Mesa just released a 25W version of the Mark V that includes the Cab Clone.

They make an Express 5:25 that has 5/15/25W modes and is available in a combo. The plus version adds a 5 band EQ, which will add magic. I've not played a 5:25 but reviews on the older version say it has great clean & gritty sounds with workable higher gain. It tends to be described as more "British," and that's not just from the EL84 power section. The Mark V 25 only switches between 10/25W. The big brother Mk5 does 10/45/90.

Brad Gillis used a lot of Mesa Mark series tones. If you want to ape some "Speak of the Devil" or Night Ranger sounds, run a Mark amp into a Marshall 4x12. For all the hate that people pile onto G12T-75s, they sound good in a 4x12 with the midrange-peaked voice of a Mesa Mark. I'm running my Mk5 open back combo on top of a 1960A cabinet, and am in love with the sounds available.

You could also pick up something like a Mesa 50 Caliber+ combo for a few dollars. I'm sure a lot of guys like me have an old and beat up .50+ lying around somewhere. It had good  Mark series tones, albeit harder to dial in for channel switching. It's basically the Studio preamp with a workhorse 6L6 power section. Heck, I'd even sell you my old combo cheaply if you don't mind a broken pull-pot channel switch (footswitch works fine), intermittent loss of volume, battle-scarred and cirgarette-burned Tolex, and no functioning reverb tank. For some reason, I never completely grew beyond the "meh, good enough" to the "like it" stage with the .50. It still oozes 1980s metal gain and attitude.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:28:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Hughes & Kettner Tuebemeister Series.

Built in Attenuator and Red Box Direct out which kicks ass

killer sounds......cool look....

can also run them without a speaker direct into a board.

they kick ass

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#10]
It's surprising that there are only a few MB dealers within my state, and the surrounding states.

The dealer close to me doesn't have much stock, and I'd have to drive 100 miles to see what the others have.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#11]
The M-B dealer search tool is fairly useless. It lists no dealers in Idaho. I went to a local dealer, recommended by a friend who got a Mesa there. The salesman pulled out his Pro Net price list and made it well worth my time to buy there instead of a big online dealer. His stock was also not extremely varied, like you describe - a recto or two, Mk5, a Lone Star, and maybe one or two of the other most common amps.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I just went out on a limb, and ordered the express plus from Sweetwater.

Hope it doesn't suck... :)
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Excellent! We'll be awaiting an AAR.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:45:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I always wanted an amp with a built in effects loop.

I'm supposed to get it Wednesday.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:28:10 AM EDT
[#15]
How's the new amp?
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#16]

It's here and plugged in, but I've had a hell of a week, and have had about 3 minutes to actually play with it.

I can see that it will require some time to understand it, and get the tones that I want from it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice! Did you wind up with a V30 or a C90?
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Speaker is a Celestion Vintage 30.

Amp looks very well made.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool, I like the fact that both the Mesa and Marshall labeled V30s are still made in England. Great speakers.

And yeah, Mesa is very meticulous about their build quality. I pulled the Chassis of my Recto when I first bought it and it looked nothing short of immaculate inside.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Any of you guys that have experience with the boogies have suggestions for pedal setup? I'm mainly trying to get a really sustained sweet lead tone first.

I've never had an amp with an effects loop, but always wanted one. Should I try everything in the loop, or some pedals between the amp and guitar.

I have:

Boss CS3
Boss DD3
Mxr Phase 90

Guess I'll try the CS3 between guitar and amp for some overdrive, everything else in the loop?

Also, I'll be after some interesting clean sounds, and am interested in what pedals you guys would suggest for cool clean effects.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#21]
For lead tones I like the MXR Wylde Overdrive if I want some extra snarl and harmonics galore, or a Fulltone OCD if I want a more subtle boost. Both being in front of the amp boosting an already distorted tone.

In the loop, try a light subtle chorus, a light subtle delay, and a light subtle reverb together. Together they add up to something thick and rich, but if you over do them, they will wash out your sound. And of course Flangers & Phasers are just pure fun. Also, go to Gilmourish.com for some cool delay settings (the Run Like Hell setup is one of my favorites).

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
For lead tones I like the MXR Wylde Overdrive if I want some extra snarl and harmonics galore, or a Fulltone OCD if I want a more subtle boost. Both being in front of the amp boosting an already distorted tone.

In the loop, try a light subtle chorus, a light subtle delay, and a light subtle reverb together. Together they add up to something thick and rich, but if you over do them, they will wash out your sound. And of course Flangers & Phasers are just pure fun. Also, go to Gilmourish.com for some cool delay settings (the Run Like Hell setup is one of my favorites).

View Quote

Now you did it. I just bought three pink floyd albums :)

What chorus pedals do you like?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 3:18:54 PM EDT
[#23]
So I played it for about half an hour now. The cleaner tones are brilliant, and I got a song idea out of it already.

The crunchy tone seems a little muddy to me, so I'll have to spend some time trying to dial it in.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#24]
The relationship between the gain knob and treble-middle-bass in Mesas can be very touchy. It's very easy to get out of shape, since those tone controls are early in the signal chain. I still have much to learn about tweaking Mesa tone, but I'm in love with the growl these things produce.

Use much smaller portions of the tone knobs' range than you would with a Marshall. Boost or cut too much, and you have a recipe for ice-pick highs and flubby lows. Quick and dirty approach: the more you want to crank overall gain, the less you should pump those knobs since all of them add to the overall signal. The 5 band EQ on your Plus model will let you shape the final tone once you get a decent basic crunch sound dialed in. It sounds counter-intuitive, but try backing off your bass knob. If the tone feels thin but otherwise has the texture of grit you like, gently boost it back with the 80hz and 240hz EQ sliders.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The relationship between the gain knob and treble-middle-bass in Mesas can be very touchy. It's very easy to get out of shape, since those tone controls are early in the signal chain. I still have much to learn about tweaking Mesa tone, but I'm in love with the growl these things produce.

Use much smaller portions of the tone knobs' range than you would with a Marshall. Boost or cut too much, and you have a recipe for ice-pick highs and flubby lows. Quick and dirty approach: the more you want to crank overall gain, the less you should pump those knobs since all of them add to the overall signal. The 5 band EQ on your Plus model will let you shape the final tone once you get a decent basic crunch sound dialed in. It sounds counter-intuitive, but try backing off your bass knob. If the tone feels thin but otherwise has the texture of grit you like, gently boost it back with the 80hz and 240hz EQ sliders.

View Quote

Cool. Thanks very much.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:24:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've used my Boss CE-5 and Boss VF-1 Processor with my Mesa. Both worked fine with it (the VF-1s Reverb sucks ass, though). THere are other chorus pedals that sound better, but for now this works for me.

ANd what Azygis said about the tone controls is very true. Mesa's tone controls also tend to be more interactive than other brands, in that what you do with one knob can drastically effect the range of the other knobs. And don't be afraid of unconventional settings, that's how I find the best tones in my Recto.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've used my Boss CE-5 and Boss VF-1 Processor with my Mesa. Both worked fine with it (the VF-1s Reverb sucks ass, though). THere are other chorus pedals that sound better, but for now this works for me.

ANd what Azygis said about the tone controls is very true. Mesa's tone controls also tend to be more interactive than other brands, in that what you do with one knob can drastically effect the range of the other knobs. And don't be afraid of unconventional settings, that's how I find the best tones in my Recto.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even a cheap Boss ME50 has worked in my effects loop for time-based effects. I shelved it because the maze of pedals on my board used with a 5150 included a tuner, Crybaby, ISP Decimator, Route 66 OD/compressor, 7-band EQ, and ME50 and/or chorus pedal. That took up more space than acceptable for an amp in my wife's office. I've gone the 4-cable method with a Boss GT-8 for now, until finding chorus & delay pedals I love. My chain itself is pretty simple, using the noise gate, with sporadic chorus and delay in the effects loop. Mood depending, I'll flirt with detune instead of chorus or run a modulated delay. The GT makes a tidy package with a diy snake (cables zip-tied together & stuffed in wire loom).

For all the hate piled on Boss gear, it can a pretty good job with processing if you take the time to tweak beyond the factory default settings. Neal Schon used a GT-6 for a long time as part of his chain (iirc for monitor mix), and Nuno Bettencourt has been known to run a GT-8 by itself.

I used to run super-wet. Compressed signal, sometimes parallel preamps in parallel fx chains, dual detune into a stereo power amp, one side up a few cents and the other down a few with a couple milliseconds' delay, with some reverb... It sounded huge and processed, just like the tones I thought I was trying to emulate. Nowadays, I'm finding joy in a more raw tone.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:39:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks guys.

I think I'm going to add a noise gate too.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:13:50 AM EDT
[#29]
ISP Decimator G-string. That, or whatever the new version is called. It triggers from guitar input, but allows you to gate your effects loop. It preserves more sustain and remains much more balanced in action throughout clean to dirty playing.

A forum member sold me his, after I complained about the wall of noise coming from my old 5150. I was a believer within 20 seconds of turning it on.

Noise, btw, is also why I'm using the Boss GT-8 in 4 cable method with my Mesa. The GT has a similar assignable gate function.

The MXR Noise Clamp and Boss NS-2 also have the same trigger/loop ability.

My base gate setup with individual pedals, if memory serves:
Guitar -> tuner -> gate trigger -> pre fx wah/comp/OD/dist -> amp guitar input
Amp fx send -> eq -> modulation chorus/flange/phase/pitch effects -> gate loop in/out -> delay/reverb -> amp fx return.

That triggers from the guitar's unprocessed signal, silences the preamp and noise from all effects except delay & reverb. Those are after the gate, otherwise they'd get unnaturally chopped when the gate clamps down. Unless that's the effect you want, of course.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Cool.

What is the 4 cable method? I did a quick search, but don't quite get it.

ETA: I looked up the units you mentioned, and think I get it. That's interesting.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:26:45 PM EDT
[#31]
The 4 cable method for fx is actually a pretty ingenious idea, allowing you to use a multi-fx for preamp and effects loop work with your amp's own tone. You can ignore the amp and cabinet sims, or use them if you want a sound that your amp can't produce.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Here's a thread from JVMforum.com that serves as a good primer for the 4 cable method, or 4cm.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Noise, btw, is also why I'm using the Boss GT-8 in 4 cable method with my Mesa. The GT has a similar assignable gate function.

View Quote

I'm thinking about grabbing that unit to get me going, and add some other pedals here and there. Looks pretty decent. GC has a ton of used ones for $180
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:00:07 PM EDT
[#34]
For $180, I'd be tempted to go buy another. One for my amp, one for headphone practice.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#35]
You guys are so right about the MB settings. I turned all of the eq knobs down, and got nothing. That was weird when all you know is Marshall setup.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

You guys are so right about the MB settings. I turned all of the eq knobs down, and got nothing. That was weird when all you know is Marshall setup.
View Quote
It kinda screws with your head at first, doesn't it?
And I hate to throw a monkey wrench into your setup, but I picked up an Electro Harmonix Soul Food the other day, and I've only had a coupe chances to us it in front of my tube amps, but I love it already. It's a keeper. I recommend it.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

And I hate to throw a monkey wrench into your setup, but I picked up an Electro Harmonix Soul Food the other day, and I've only had a coupe chances to us it in front of my tube amps, but I love it already. It's a keeper. I recommend it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tried a Soul Food with my Decatone, didn't like it.  The KACHUNK when it engages bothered me, and it seemed to emphasize higher frequencies than I wanted.  Bought it at a Guitar Center for cheap, traded it to my LGS for other stuff.  Am using a TC Mini Spark boost with the Decatone, and bought a used TS9DX Tubescreamer for use with my 6505 combo.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a Visual Sound Route 66. One side is a TS 808 clone, including a 4558 op-amp. It has a bass boost that works with the tone knob to dial down some of that mid-upper edginess in many Tubescreamer variants.

It has a nice sound, but oh my, what a noisy compressor/TS pedal. Despite the onboard "noise suppression," it's even able to blow past high settings on my ISP G String. I'm toying with plopping an EQ pedal in front of the preamp as a clean boost instead.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm reading the MB manual, to get a better grasp on setup.

It says the master volume controls the send level to the effects loop. Does this make sense? The manual says that you can overload your effects.

I'd think that you would want to be able to use full volume, without worrying about overloading your pedals.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:45:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I tried a Soul Food with my Decatone, didn't like it.  The KACHUNK when it engages bothered me, and it seemed to emphasize higher frequencies than I wanted.  Bought it at a Guitar Center for cheap, traded it to my LGS for other stuff.  Am using a TC Mini Spark boost with the Decatone, and bought a used TS9DX Tubescreamer for use with my 6505 combo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine doesnt KACHUNK when I hit the button... Either I got ripped off on my Soul Food, or you got one with issues.

In front of an AC15C1 or vintage tube Fenders it has earned a spot in my rig.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 12:19:56 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Mine doesnt KACHUNK when I hit the button... Either I got ripped off on my Soul Food, or you got one with issues.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine doesn't "kachunk" either, and I've used it in front of both my Marshall and my Splawn on high gain settings, as well as clean.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 12:34:36 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

It says the master volume controls the send level to the effects loop. Does this make sense? The manual says that you can overload your effects.

I'd think that you would want to be able to use full volume, without worrying about overloading your pedals.
View Quote
I had a look for myself, and yeah, it looks like they designed it with the master volume before the FX Loop buffer tube. Kind of odd, IMHO, but probably not unheard of either.

And I agree, of a guy wants to get the poweramp cooking, that would be an issue. I suppose a guy could use a volume boost pedal in the loop between the other effects and the loop return to get past this. Something like a Zvex Super Hard On would fit the bill nicely.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 1:05:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I had a look for myself, and yeah, it looks like they designed it with the master volume before the FX Loop buffer tube. Kind of odd, IMHO, but probably not unheard of either.  

And I agree, of a guy wants to get the poweramp cooking, that would be an issue. I suppose a guy could use a volume boost pedal in the loop between the other effects and the loop return to get past this. Something like a Zvex Super Hard On would fit the bill nicely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Ernie Ball MVP might be worth a look, combining a volume pedal with ability to boost. It would be a makeshift post-fx master volume.

That made me crazy trying to work effects with my .50, to the point that I finally gave up & went dry. That was until something electrical inside the amp went wonky, causing volume fluctuations that weren't due to a bad tube, the pull-pot shaft came out in my hand, and I put it in storage because it wasn't worth selling but might be worth fixing someday.

You could also experiment with a limiter first in the fx loop chain if the master is overcooking the effects. If set up just for volume limiting, you'd preserve more of your dynamics than squishing it with a compressor/limiter. It's been my limited experience that my eardrums start bleeding with at my 60 or 90 watt Mesas long before I get the power section singing anyway.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 4:27:21 AM EDT
[#44]
I've read quite a few reviews saying that those Ernie Ball volume pedals are tone suckers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top