Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2014 8:39:30 PM EDT
Looking at getting into lap steel guitar, but don't know where to start. Does anyone have a suggestion for a beginner lap steel that won't break the bank? $500 or less is what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:45:23 PM EDT
[#1]
look here

Steel Guitar Forum Great source of lessons, tunings, tips, stuff for sale

Georgeboards  George built me a beautiful double neck 8 string some years ago.  Natural maple, Hula girl fret boards, that feature was fairly new.
Beautiful sounding and playing instrument.  George is a very nice guy, knows his stuff. I think he has kits now.

Musicians Enemy Lap Steel search

Brads Page Of Steel Lots of basic info, tunings , Etc

Craigslist yielded an old Oahu (preWWll) for 50 bucks last year.

ETA  more Steel Guitar Forum info/ Brad's page of steel
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the links and info!

I was starting to think that no one on ARFCOM played steel!
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:11:56 PM EDT
[#3]
You are welcome..

there is more

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag for info... I'm a Dobro guy, but Junior Brown got me interested in lap steel.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Junior Brown is a must see live. He tears it up like no other.

Brads Page of Steel has his tuning  as  E11/13..  I believe it is  a little different, as getting the voicings right has been a challenge.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:17:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Junior Brown is a must see live. He tears it up like no other.

Brads Page of Steel has his tuning  as  E11/13..  I believe it is  a little different, as getting the voicings right has been a challenge.
View Quote

I did a show with the Texas Playboys a couple of years ago and there was steel player from the Tulsa, OK area playing a double neck pedal-less steel. I thought I'd heard just about everyone but I hadn't heard this guy. He MAULED that steel guitar and he was one of the most attentive musicians I've ever worked with, watching every move the leader made, waiting on his turn to play fills or lead. Another good 'un from the same area is my buddy Bob Baker. One of the last living masters of the pedal-less steel though is Bobby Koefer (Google him. Lots of stuff out there). He currently plays with the Texas Playboys and even at 86 he's an astounding musician. He plays a triple neck and uses only one thumb pick. As far as I know he'll be in Ruidoso, NM again this year, Oct. 9 - 11 for the Lincoln County Cowboy Symposium.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:09:24 AM EDT
[#7]
http://www.rondomusic.com/product6925.html  I own 2 of their guitars,quality,and price cant be beat!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top