Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2014 3:01:26 PM EDT
Read this and started to think: http://www.metalinjection.net/its-just-business/bands-money-touring

It's been 10 years or so since I played, much less performed. How has the music industry changed? What's are some big obstacles to bands these days?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:36:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I just skimmed the article...it's a little too depressing to read.

Mid-level bands have to love what they're doing and get along well in order to tour successfully.  As the posted link suggests, it's expensive and the profits are questionable at best.

This is a timely topic because I think about it every time an out-of-state band comes through the club.  I could not do it: traveling but not really being 'free,' missing friends and family back home, the absence of a steady income, the personal hygiene challenges, vehicle breakdowns, sleeping on the game room floor of some promoter's house, eating at inconsistent intervals, eating crap, taking shits in gas station bathrooms...

I try to be welcoming and hospitable to touring bands, because I truly respect and feel for them.  I hear all sort of stories about shitty clubs elsewhere in the country; it sucks for these bands, but at the very least it makes me feel like I'm doing a good job.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#2]
By the way, the answer to your question is the same for bands as it is for everyone else: income has not kept pace with expenses.

Last night's band made $432+tips.  We also fed them, gave them drink tickets, provided them with space to set up merch, etc.

It wouldn't have been too bad a deal for four guys in a van back in 2001, when gas was $1.33.  Now, not so much :(

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#3]
So is it not worth it to play live anymore except on special occasions? Is there even a demand for live music these days (not talking about DJs)?

Would it be better for bands to record and distribute via internet?

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I toured for a number of years...it has changed dramatically.  

Fuel costs are killers as well as declining revenues at bars / clubs thus reducing the amounts bands are paid.  

When I played full time out....I viewed my job as being a drink salesman...the more we got people to drink and party...the more money we made.  The more women we attracted to the club / bar....the more guys showed up...who bought more drinks.  

We played for flat fees until bar owners balked at the amounts.  We then played for the door with our own people on the door making sure the count was right.  About every method of being paid...we experienced.  

Equipment has reduced in price for the most part.  I find amps, guitars, effects, PA's, etc cheaper that can be gigged.  Most equipment was required to be owned by the individual before joining the band...if you needed two Marshall 4x12's...you better own them before coming to us.  If you need a spare guitar...you better own it.  PA systems were a joint ownership of the bands.  More and more places had house PA's as time went on.  Worst in this endeavor were the singers....for them investing in equipment was MAYBE buying a mic stand....very few singers I ever worked with had anything to bring to the bands.  

I found that even local bands are playing out less and less due to people hitting bars / clubs decreasing.  Happy hours, etc are long gone.  I find that many of todays people do not appreciate live music...they would rather listen to the same shit they hear in their car, etc....from their iphone, etc.  People do not follow local bands like they did before.  Bands like the Fools in Boston, the Beat Farmers in California, etc, even Phish, etc....had huge followings of loyal fans...todays bands do not build those types of fans....

I currently play out quite often...I do so out of love of music and playing.  I do not worry about the money one bit.  I own my own gear, as do all the others I play with.  We all have the same attitude.  It is different..but I do see the advent of live bands coming back
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So is it not worth it to play live anymore except on special occasions? Is there even a demand for live music these days (not talking about DJs)?
Would it be better for bands to record and distribute via internet?
View Quote

There is definitely a demand.  Definitely, and don't listen to anyone that argues otherwise.

As far as what is "worth it," touring is a complete and total lifestyle for some musicians.  The drawbacks that I listed above do not matter to some folks, in fact they might be considered pluses to many of them.  Getting away from home, not having to shower, getting to crash at random peoples' pads...this is heaven for some dudes (and chicks) and they might not care about the money.

The article or blog or whatever you linked is not about major touring bands.  It is about mid-level, salt of the earth acts, the terra firma from which everything grows.  You won't know they're there unless you're out seeing live music at least 2-3 at week, but they are there and they are vital.

As for recording music and "releasing" it on the internet, that is a completely different topic.  I could start by arguing that the online distribution of music has actually propelled the need for continuous live performance.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#6]
IMHO, Bands/Solo Acts/ect would be better off just writing songs, doing some decent recordings of the songs, and just putting them up on sites like reverbnation.com, selling them through iTunes, ect, and then just playing out locally or no more than a 100 mile radius. Because the days of big record contracts are in their twilight, if not already gone, ironically because of the internet.
Self production/promotion is the name if the game these days

Don't get me wrong, a band still could build up a fan base large enough to tour, it's just that the traditional record company thing is dieing out.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
IMHO, Bands/Solo Acts/ect would be better off just writing songs, doing some decent recordings of the songs, and just putting them up on sites like reverbnation.com, selling them through iTunes, ect, and then just playing out locally or no more than a 100 mile radius. Because the days of big record contracts are in their twilight, if not already gone.

Self production/promotion is the name if the game these days.  
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:45:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Agreed.  But i would still build a local following
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

IMHO, Bands/Solo Acts/ect would be better off just writing songs, doing some decent recordings of the songs, and just putting them up on sites like reverbnation.com, selling them through iTunes, ect, and then just playing out locally or no more than a 100 mile radius. Because the days of big record contracts are in their twilight, if not already gone.

Self production/promotion is the name if the game these days.  

Agreed.  But i would still build a local following
Yep, I was adding that when you posted.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I think a lot had to do with the overprocessing of modern music. People just expected everything to sound like a recording (and modern computer generated music doesn't help this). IMO the industry needs another punk/grunge revolution. YMMV.
Then there's the question of the future of rock music in general.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:01:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I think a lot had to do with the overprocessing of modern music. People just expected everything to sound like a recording (and modern computer generated music doesn't help this). IMO the industry needs another punk/grunge revolution. YMMV.
View Quote

Alot of that is due to Autotune, Beat Detective, ect. If everything is perfectly in tune and on beat, it sounds sterile.
This guy pretty much nails it, for the most part. I think that more people being able to make good recordings is a good thing, but Auto tune does, in fact, SUCK!

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Alot of that is due to Autotune, Beat Detective, ect. If everything is perfectly in tune and on beat, it sounds sterile.

This guy pretty much nails it, for the most part. I think that more people being able to make good recordings is a good thing, but Auto tune does, in fact, SUCK!

http://youtu.be/bT9LUiWXkyo

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah he's pretty spot-on.

What could help real bands make it? what do sites like ReverbNation lack?

The state of music today reminds me of the late 90's, before grunge put it on it's ass for a few years.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:38:15 PM EDT
[#12]
thanks for the video on Autotune...I could not agree more

I have had the luxury of watching some very well known guitar players in the control room repeating the same lead solo literally hundreds of times...to get it perfect...with the engineer pushing and pushing.  

I am convinced that a great studio engineer could be a sadist in any BDSM environment...LOL....but...they serve a purpose of pushing the player to do better.  I still remember when I was in the studio doing commercials...and the engineer / studio owner telling me over and over again...hit it again.  It took getting pissed off to really ring the emotion out of the leads....it worked

I think one thing missing in todays music is a true individuality...so many of the bands work on sounding the same.  they are afraid to stand out.  Add to it vocalists that think growling and grunting is singing....(cookie monster rock is killing the rock scene)

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The state of music today reminds me of the late 90's, before grunge put it on it's ass for a few years.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know if sites like Reverbnation lack anything. They're just platforms for acts to promote themselves, and actually give them more exposure than bands used to get.

And I agree that today does kind of remind me of the late '90s, in that crappy pop has infected pretty much everything like it did back then. The difference today is that record companies don't have the clout they used to and record contracts aren't the lottery ticket they used to be.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:48:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

thanks for the video on Autotune...I could not agree more

I have had the luxury of watching some very well known guitar players in the control room repeating the same lead solo literally hundreds of times...to get it perfect...with the engineer pushing and pushing.  

I am convinced that a great studio engineer could be a sadist in any BDSM environment...LOL....but...they serve a purpose of pushing the player to do better.  I still remember when I was in the studio doing commercials...and the engineer / studio owner telling me over and over again...hit it again.  It took getting pissed off to really ring the emotion out of the leads....it worked

I think one thing missing in todays music is a true individuality...so many of the bands work on sounding the same.  they are afraid to stand out.  Add to it vocalists that think growling and grunting is singing....(cookie monster rock is killing the rock scene)

View Quote
No problem, he's got a few more videos that are pretty good too. And I agree with most of what you're saying here, except that the borderline Cookie Monster stuff can sound good. The problem is that there are quite a few that over do it, do it poorly, or both.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:31:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I don't know if sites like Reverbnation lack anything. They're just platforms for acts to promote themselves, and actually give them more exposure than bands used to get.

And I agree that today does kind of remind me of the late '90s, in that crappy pop has infected pretty much everything like it did back then. The difference today is that record companies don't have the clout they used to and record contracts aren't the lottery ticket they used to be.

View Quote

In what way do you think that record contracts were like lottery tickets?

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:39:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Music as we know it is dying.

Expenses for touring are through the roof, but for mid level acts, revenues are down for shows.  Ticket prices have stagnated, because kids won't pay more than $10 - $20 for a multi-band bill unless someone really big is on top of the ticket.  If you are a "baby national" or mid level touring band, you are lucky to get much of anything.

And merch sales are in the shitter.  Why?  Overall, because fans now have conditioned themselves to not invest in music...i.e. when you get all your music for free from pirate sites, you begin to view even paying for merch as a chore.  Fans now steal the album online, pay $10 at the door to get in and then scoff at a $25 t-shirt.  So they don't buy it, period.

It IS depressing.  I know so many touring musicians in well established name recognition bands that have been at it literally for decades, and they make jack shit.  Almost all of them have crappy jobs, because you can't have a nice job and take off for a couple of months at a time to tour a couple times a year.  Too many of them continue to tour, or tour relentlessly, not because it pays the bills, but because they are now in their 40s, and they despise going home to a pile of bills and their shitty tiny apartment...so they just stay out.  It is sad.

It is funny...before my hockey game tonight our Captain asked me if I have any gigs coming up and I was like "fuck no.  I only do studio shit now."  And I explained how playing shows just is totally not worth it to me anymore.  Sure, when you are on stage and the crowd digs you it is like no other feeling, but all the work to get there and set up is a pain in the dick, tear down and packout is a pain in the dick, it pretty much consumes your whole day for that one hour on stage, and it cost you more money than you made to get there.  

The internet and all these tools were supposed to be liberating and cause a music revolution.  But now all we seem to be getting is an endless morass of mediocre bedroom recordings and an endless sea of bland garbage.  But hey, it's free, amirite?  And what IS put out by studios is all cookie cutter junk because they practically need to guarantee sales on every project they do, so taking risks is verboten.

So in closing, Gene Simmons isn't far off when he declares that rock is dead.  It pretty much is.  The fans killed it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:45:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
By the way, the answer to your question is the same for bands as it is for everyone else: income has not kept pace with expenses.

Last night's band made $432+tips.  We also fed them, gave them drink tickets, provided them with space to set up merch, etc.

It wouldn't have been too bad a deal for four guys in a van back in 2001, when gas was $1.33.  Now, not so much :(

View Quote

Bingo.  Think about that.  Each member made about $100 for that day.  Deduct gas and whatever they are paying for their van rental, and what do they really get in profit.  And news flash...when you are out on tour, you don't magically stop paying rent on your apartment back home etc.  

When it is all said and done, most mid level bands LOSE money on tour, compared to if they had stayed at home and simply worked a day job.  Even if that day job were a minimum wage fast food gig.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:47:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another bingo.  For all but the biggest superstar acts, record contracts were more like a chinese finger trap than a lottery ticket.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:22:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Another bingo.  For all but the biggest superstar acts, record contracts were more like a chinese finger trap than a lottery ticket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The word "recoup" wasn't in my vocabulary until I started learning about record contracts.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:48:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Seems like there's a lot of people trying to sell success to aspiring musicians,  but not as much out there moving new and local music to the listeners who don't hang out in the music scene.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, back in the day, it wasn't uncommon to hear about multimillion dollar record contracts, but these days, they don't seem to happen as much.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Well, back in the day, it wasn't uncommon to hear about multimillion dollar record contracts, but these days, they don't seem to happen as much.  
View Quote

That may be so, but record companies have always wanted to earn those millions back and then some (recoupment).  I don't know how literally you meant for us to take the lottery analogy, I'm just saying that an advance from a record company is not like a huge cash award.  It's part of a deal, one that is often weighted in favor of the record company (especially with new artists).

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Seems like there's a lot of people trying to sell success to aspiring musicians,  but not as much out there moving new and local music to the listeners who don't hang out in the music scene.
View Quote

That's actually really good observation, and it points to a pervasive get-rich-quick kind of mentality.

There is very little wealth to be created in moving new and local music to listeners who don't hang out in the scene.

If you're trying to sell success to an aspiring talent, you're going to talk in terms of circumventing the grimy and thankless world of the working musician, and you'll be heard with willing ears in a lot of cases.  Who wants to live like that guy in the van, loading the same box of t-shirts in and out of clubs and maybe selling 3-4 or week?  Not me, I just need to get "discovered."

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:06:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That may be so, but record companies have always wanted to earn those millions back and then some (recoupment).  I don't know how literally you meant for us to take the lottery analogy, I'm just saying that an advance from a record company is not like a huge cash award.  It's part of a deal, one that is often weighted in favor of the record company (especially with new artists).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The advance is essentially just a loan from the label, and it is amazing how few bands actually understand that.  My prior chinese finger trap comment was pointed at that aspect.  You work for the label until you pay it off.  And usually with each subsequent album, you just dig further in.  Hence, you keep owing them more albums, as the label sinks more and more advance cash into advertising and studio time etc.  Hence, virtually all bands get to that phase where they hate their label, fight to get off, and once they do (or pumo out those last two shitty albums to get free of their obligation) they jump right back in bed with another label and 4 or 5 albums later they are bitching about the same exact shit.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:21:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The advance is essentially just a loan from the label, and it is amazing how few bands actually understand that.  My prior chinese finger trap comment was pointed at that aspect.  You work for the label until you pay it off.  And usually with each subsequent album, you just dig further in.  Hence, you keep owing them more albums, as the label sinks more and more advance cash into advertising and studio time etc.  Hence, virtually all bands get to that phase where they hate their label, fight to get off, and once they do (or pumo out those last two shitty albums to get free of their obligation) they jump right back in bed with another label and 4 or 5 albums later they are bitching about the same exact shit.
View Quote

Has the rise of self-distribution been effective at all? I understand that it doesn't come with a fat cash advance, but has anyone been successful lately taking the Fugazi route?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Bingo.  Think about that.  Each member made about $100 for that day.  Deduct gas and whatever they are paying for their van rental, and what do they really get in profit.  And news flash...when you are out on tour, you don't magically stop paying rent on your apartment back home etc.  
When it is all said and done, most mid level bands LOSE money on tour, compared to if they had stayed at home and simply worked a day job.  Even if that day job were a minimum wage fast food gig.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are a couple of bands around here that live together.  I heard once that a band is the dysfunctional family you choose.  I think in a lot of cases it has to be a 'family affair,' though, that one has to adopt a hippie-type attitude of communal living both on the road and off.

But as you suggested in another post, it can be a little sad trying to sustain this kind of lifestyle beyond one's 40s.  I was at a crossroads at age 24 when my band broke up: it was either continue to pursue music balls out or get married and start a family.  I chose the later, and now it is quite nice at age 40 to avoid the B.O. of other dudes when sleeping at night.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

There are a couple of bands around here that live together.  I heard once that a band is the dysfunctional family you choose.  I think in a lot of cases it has to be a 'family affair,' though, that one has to adopt a hippie-type attitude of communal living both on the road and off.

But as you suggested in another post, it can be a little sad trying to sustain this kind of lifestyle beyond one's 40s.  I was at a crossroads at age 24 when my band broke up: it was either continue to pursue music balls out or get married and start a family.  I chose the later, and now it is quite nice at age 40 to avoid the B.O. of other dudes when sleeping at night.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I made the same decision, but kept practicing and developing my skills and knowledge. Now I make more money than I can spend
and can have all the expensive nice toys I always wanted, and in a real sound room in my basement. I have been playing guitar for
41 years now. Maybe it's time to get the band back together. (tm)

I have actually selectively bred my own band in the form of my children whom also play, sing and bang on shit (drum).
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:34:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah I couldn't go serious because of the military.  After 9/11, there was no time for any of it. I sold my rig and kept just my Tacoma Thunderchief.

Now I'm looking to retire, and wonder if it's worth it to help promote good music with some integrity.  That's why I'm asking what's missing to help out DIY bands.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Has the rise of self-distribution been effective at all? I understand that it doesn't come with a fat cash advance, but has anyone been successful lately taking the Fugazi route?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some have been successful at it, but I would say that they are very few and far between.

Sadly, most of the publications, online web sites, radio stations etc don't touch stuff that isn't pushed by a label.  So reaching any sort of audience is still a pipe dream.  And for the vast majority, the whole "download it for free, but make a donation or buy some merch" doesn't work either.  The vast majority simply stop, download, and move on.  because the other consequence of digital piracy is that fans now have much shorter attention spans and view the product as much more disposable.  they listen a few times and move on, because there is SO MUCH OUT THERE.  Back when you bought your music, you were limited by your budget so you have far fewer albums, hence you listened to them a lot more.  This resulted in a more rabid fan base.  A fan base more inclined to feel invested and contribute.

I would argue that most of the bands who have been successful with the giveaway marketing strategy were already previously beneficiaries of being on a label, and already had big fan bases.  Same with the bands that have made a lot off kickstarter...they were already well known and got a lot of donations by saying their next album will be "off label."

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yeah I couldn't go serious because of the military.  After 9/11, there was no time for any of it. I sold my rig and kept just my Tacoma Thunderchief.

Now I'm looking to retire, and wonder if it's worth it to help promote good music with some integrity.  That's why I'm asking what's missing to help out DIY bands.
View Quote

I think it is totally worth it to make and promote good music.  IF by worth it you mean fulfilling an internal need to create.  If you mean financially worth it, no.

A long time ago, I decided to make my career #1 and treat my music as a hobby.  The result?  I have my own in-home studio, a world class drum kit, all the bells and whistles I could want and the financial freedom to do what I want.  I make music when I want, and if it doesn't make a dime I don't need to get stressed about it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:44:37 PM EDT
[#31]
That is the problem, there is SO MUCH OUT THERE. You have to differentiate yourself in some way, Speak to a particular audience,
then get heard over and over by that audience like top 40 radio stations did back in the day.

Even though there is so much out there, it is 99% garbage. But then, some people like nickleback.

I know of a couple of people monetizing successfully online, but they are niche artists. Maybe there is a clue there.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:46:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm just sick of shitty music.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I think it is totally worth it to make and promote good music.  IF by worth it you mean fulfilling an internal need to create.  If you mean financially worth it, no.

A long time ago, I decided to make my career #1 and treat my music as a hobby.  The result?  I have my own in-home studio, a world class drum kit, all the bells and whistles I could want and the financial freedom to do what I want.  I make music when I want, and if it doesn't make a dime I don't need to get stressed about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is amazing how much better of a player you can become when the money is not a factor, isn't it? Play because you love it, not because you have to. Relax and flow.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, the cart goes behind the horse, OP.  Your music will never be *worth* anything unless you see some value in it first.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:27:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Yup. And that's pretty much the track my former bandmates have taken.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote

I say go for it. It sounds like you're going to make music regardless, so you just as well go ahead and do what you can to promote it.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:11:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds exactly like Chimaira, then everyone but the singer jumped ship...

I know a guy in a local band, I buy their albums when they come out, been to a few of their shows. But they sound like a mix of old Trivium and old A7x and insert any other deathcore etc type of band...

Disclaimer: I never played in a band nor in front of anyone
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:39:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Let me start with this disclaimer: I love music way too much to ever consider doing it for a living.

There are so many levels and variables to this subject...random thoughts from 30+ years of doing this:

1.  Having a good day job makes music so much more enjoyable.

2.  The most successful musicians I've known were successful because they also had good business sense. PERIOD.

3. Your talent as a musician will NOT make you rich, or even make you a decent living. The only people who truly understand and appreciate musical talent are other musicians, and they're not going to pay to hear you perform. You're a good singer? So are thousands of others.

4. How much your band makes is directly proportional to how much your audience makes. Therefore, if the genre of your music is popular with kids, people covered in tattoos, with every square inch of there body pierced, or people who prefer drugs to food, you're not going to make money because your audience doesn't have money to spend to listen to you.

5. The days of making money in clubs are gone due to stupidly strict DWI laws. Everyone, self included, is scared shitless of going out for a few drinks and to listen to their favorite band for fear of being pulled over on the way out of the parking lot and getting a DWI.

6. Playing in bars is a PAIN IN THE ASS and seldom worth the effort. I personally book my band in to one bar maybe four or five times a year, because it has a built-in, tourist type crowd and the owner pays fairly good ($1000 for a 5-piece). Private gigs, about 95% of my work, are much, much better. Case in point: I played two last Saturday and came home with $500, next Friday $400 for one (although there will be about 450 miles of driving involved ). No merchandise to hassle with, no booking agents, no managers, etc. But private stuff is also dependent on having people willing to pay good money, which goes back to #4. It's also dependent on your genre. If a band plays head-banging, blood curdling rock, you're probably not going to book many weddings.

7. I've worked with musicians who were absolute geniuses both musically and in other areas, but absolutely insisted on trying to make their living at music. None of them have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of.

8. Playing both sides of the fence WORKS. By that I mean, I have my own band AND I job out playing with other bands.

So to answer the original question, the local/area bands I see and occasionally perform with market pretty much in three ways: A website which is mainly for dates, a Facebook page, and at shows/dances, a few t-shirts and CD's. A good reputation and word of mouth are a phenomenal means of advertising.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:17:57 AM EDT
[#39]
I haven't played in years.  Not really looking to get onto anything ( since I'm moving to Savannah in a few months). But I am motivated to see what there is out there and helping it get heard.

Yeah playing live is expensive these days and people don't get out as much as they used to.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
which goes back to #4. It's also dependent on your genre. If a band plays head-banging, blood curdling rock, you're probably not going to book many weddings.

View Quote

All of your points were spot on, especially this one.  I play extreme metal.  Luckily, I am not dumb enough to think there is any money to be paid in playing extreme metal.  I can count on one hand the bands playing in that genre who make any real money.  Hence, I am not even gonna try and make a dime doing it.  I do it for the love of the genre, period.  The music I make in it is my baby, and my hobby, but my fulfillment is in having people hear it and enjoy it, not in any financial return.  Making a deathmetal album costs me more than it brings in.

Now, I also am involved in a rock project.  That has more potential to be somewhat of a money maker.  But I take the same approach.  As long as people enjoy it and I get my music in front of ears, I am happy.  If it happens to be a financial success...bonus. If it doesn't, I am totally fine with it.

If I wanted to make money as a musician, I would join up with business savvy musicians and start a wedding/corporate event band.  I would learn a bazillion cover songs, the chicken dance, etc.  But for me personally, I don't think I would find that fun, and so it wouldn't be worth the money for me.

You have to be realistic about your music, I agree.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
All of your points were spot on, especially this one.  I play extreme metal.  Luckily, I am not dumb enough to think there is any money to be paid in playing extreme metal.  I can count on one hand the bands playing in that genre who make any real money.  Hence, I am not even gonna try and make a dime doing it.  I do it for the love of the genre, period.  The music I make in it is my baby, and my hobby, but my fulfillment is in having people hear it and enjoy it, not in any financial return.  Making a deathmetal album costs me more than it brings in.
Now, I also am involved in a rock project.  That has more potential to be somewhat of a money maker.  But I take the same approach.  As long as people enjoy it and I get my music in front of ears, I am happy.  If it happens to be a financial success...bonus. If it doesn't, I am totally fine with it.
If I wanted to make money as a musician, I would join up with business savvy musicians and start a wedding/corporate event band.  I would learn a bazillion cover songs, the chicken dance, etc.  But for me personally, I don't think I would find that fun, and so it wouldn't be worth the money for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

which goes back to #4. It's also dependent on your genre. If a band plays head-banging, blood curdling rock, you're probably not going to book many weddings.

Shameless plug here, but Eluveitie will be next door this Saturday with Tyr and Metsatoll.

Normally there are local opening acts for touring headliners, but I like the fact that the bigger metal groups tour with their supporting bands.  It speaks to what I was saying earlier, that a strong community can overcome the general lack of revenue by sticking together and helping each other out.  This seems prevalent (at least in the rare cases I've seen) in the metal world, and I admire that.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top