Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2014 12:41:31 AM EDT
What are some good models to look at?

Basically, I just want something under 200 bucks I can take with me camping or whatever and not worry so much about it getting dinged up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:21:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a baby martin which sounds amazing.  That's what I would recommend, but you should go to Guitar center and just try out a bunch.  There are so many good options in the $200 range.  Seagull is another, for a little bit more. Maybe you could find a used one.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Uh Martin Backpacker guitar
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't like the way those baby travel guitars sound.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

never heard one
keep looking
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:54:09 PM EDT
[#5]
From looking at some reviews online, a Seagull S6 is probably going to be the way to go.

It appears to have alot of good reviews online, relatively cheap, quality materials, and tons of used ones available.  One within a few miles of me, in fact.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Craigslist ad was a pawnshop.

Went down there, looked it over, played it.  Absolutely perfect condition.  

List was 289, I got it for 240.

The strings are garbage, so I'll swap those out.   Otherwise, it's in great shape.  Honestly, I'm shocked a guitar this cheap can play and sound this good.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Forget reviews or brand suggestions. Just go to the pawn shops and play some guitars. Find one you like the sound/playability and buy it. Don't even look at the name on the headstock.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Forget reviews or brand suggestions. Just go to the pawn shops and play some guitars. Find one you like the sound/playability and buy it. Don't even look at the name on the headstock.
View Quote

Done dang old did.   I'll post a couple pictures later.  

Just nobody tell me I coulda got one from their cousin Billy for 50 bucks, please.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:14:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I just scored a shallow body Ovation at the local pawn shop with a case in mint
condition for $125..I couldn't believe I bought it for that. I think I will make it my gigging

ax and keep my Martin at home..I would look in the local pawn shops for one. I you become a regular

you could score a deal on a good guitar.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:05:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just scored a shallow body Ovation at the local pawn shop with a case in mintcondition for $125..I couldn't believe I bought it for that. I think I will make it my gigging
ax and keep my Martin at home..I would look in the local pawn shops for one. I you become a regular
you could score a deal on a good guitar.

View Quote

If it has a solid top that price is a steal.  I have an Ovation that I always have laying around that has sounded great.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:13:48 AM EDT
[#11]
My travel guitar is a yamaha youth model.

It has a great sound. It has a shrank down neck though.

If I find a decent sounding travel guitar with a full size neck, I'll pick one up.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:38:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd look for a used Martin X Series with either a Laminate or HPL top. Those tops don't sound quite as rich as a solid top, but they're alot more stable, and when you're getting drunk around a campfire, the difference isn't really gonna matter.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:22:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Got this at the pawnshop.

It doesn't sound as nice as my Martin DR by any means but it's not bad.  It has a very slight mechanical fret *click* noise and the strings are just a hair higher than I'd like.

Sounds alot brighter than my Martin, but I just put new strings on it, so they'll probably mellow a bit over time.

Appears to be cedar top (though it might be spruce, I'm not really an expert) with cherry sides and back.   Tuners are all nice and solid and responsive.

I restrung it last night with some Elixer mediums.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:13:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Seagull S6 is what I use.   Sounds a lot better than my Baby Taylor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top