Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2014 5:21:46 AM EDT
Just got a message from a band i play with...apparently they were invited to play a gig at a private party where people are getting charged for admittance.  Place is easily an hour away, and the host has convinced the other guys that the gig is a good idea because "someone famous is running sound"  

I declined...mainly because I have another commitment that day, but also out of principle due to the "play for free but we will feed and booze you up" invite is lame..

I enjoy playing, but I don't like it enough to give up an entire day of my weekend for free....In my mind it really takes a certain level of ignorance and arrogance to ask a band, especially a band that is already somewhat established to come out and play for free.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#1]
The only times it is acceptable to play for free is for a charity or for a contest. Whoever is running that house party needs to be fucked in the ass. Fuck that guy. A true piece of shit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a friend that plays in a pretty good local band.   They got the opportunity to open for Robin Trower at the Cain's Ballroom which is a pretty well known smaller venue in Tulsa.  

They got a whopping 150 bucks for the whole band to do that.   He said it is really hard finding good paying gigs.   He makes most of his money teaching and gets a few pennies a month from iTunes.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I have played a party for free before.  Halloween party, the the folks throwing it were huge supporters of ours, and friends of most of the band members.  Did a lot for us, and it was a blast.

Would I play a party just because someone "famous" was running sound?  No.  Those sort of hookups never pay off really.  If I was told that a record company exec would be there, and knew he was checking us out?  Sure thing.

As has been stated, I would play for free for a charity event, or if the gig was guaranteed to get us needed exposure (big national show...I've dis that once).

But playing someone's party for free because some supposedly famous guy was running sound, nah.  That is just somebody's way to get a free band for their party.

ETA: I subbed in on drums for free once, again for a very good friend's party and they needed a drummer at the last minute.  I had to learn a buttload of songs quickly (all easy rock covers) and I had fun.  Only did it because they were super good friends (the party people, not the band.)
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:48:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only times it is acceptable to play for free is for a charity or for a contest. Whoever is running that house party needs to be fucked in the ass. Fuck that guy. A true piece of shit.
View Quote

I don't even know that I would play for free for a contest.  Those stupid battle of the bands things are a joke.  Whoever brings the most friends wins.  And your prize is a big ball of who gives a fuck.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I don't even know that I would play for free for a contest.  Those stupid battle of the bands things are a joke.  Whoever brings the most friends wins.  And your prize is a big ball of who gives a fuck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The ones run like that are ass. We've won three of three and made about 2k doing them. We only enter battles with judges.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 11:03:24 PM EDT
[#6]
The last show I played with my old band was for free, but it was at a friend's wedding reception. Everybody in the band was all for it, so it was no biggie, and it was fun. I drank before, during, and after the set.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:59:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The last show I played with my old band was for free, but it was at a friend's wedding reception. Everybody in the band was all for it, so it was no biggie, and it was fun. I drank before, during, and after the set.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc317/GoneShootin/1157634_633486100015695_82456453_n_zps5a3b8c18.jpg
View Quote

Yeah, that situation is a little different...

Still, with the cost of getting from point A to point B these days, I would never think to ask anyone I am in a band with to play for free unless it was a charity event....

I think there has been one time where I asked a group of people to play at an event where we were not getting paid..Since some of the guys were traveling far I ended up paying them out of my own pocket for gas and vehicle expenses.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:34:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Famous sound guy...boy there's an oxymoron if I ever heard one
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:46:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Parties are expensive, and one merely has to look at the host's other expenditures to determine what they can afford for entertainment.  If a private house party will involve catering, a valet, servers, and a kitchen staff, it's a safe bet that they'll also be able to shell out a few grand for a good band.

So why do people cheap out on entertainment when they're spending all kinds of dough on other party accoutrements?  A couple of reasons, I guess.  They might not know how to go about finding a band, so they resort to asking someone they know personally.  It's easy to locate a professional caterer or florist, but finding entertainment is often more a matter of "I have this buddy who plays in a band."  

If said band isn't accustomed to negotiating deals for private parties, they are likely to be talked into playing for beer and food by said "friend."  He does this with a clear conscience because he does not see the band as being on par with other event services.  If the band dresses like average joes, lacks promo materials, doesn't have enough music for a four hour party, isn't versed in schmoozing potential clients, and/or doesn't have a contract ready to draw up at a moment's notice, then they aren't on par with other event services.  They might only deserve beer and food.  If they don't like the deal, they are free to say no, or up their game in an effort to command a higher fee.

Sometimes bands that are up to snuff don't value themselves highly enough.  I've been guilty of this in other respects.  I remember shooting and editing a wedding video for this couple, and them telling me that they spent more on a cheese plate than they did for my video.  Yet they loved that video, and it was a wake up call for me that I was providing a valuable service for too cheap a price.

Private parties should be special opportunities for bands to earn, not volunteer.  It's an area of the business that I actually know pretty well.  I did sound for over 150 private events with my last variety/party band, including some house parties.  The money is there.  Granted, this was a professional group of musicians who could sight read, play in all styles, and look the part when the event required formal attire.  They were booked through an agency that advertised and maintained a nice office in uptown.  It's easy to blame people for wanting to gyp musicians, but the onus is on bands and entertainment companies to create services worth paying for, and to market, promote, and seal profitable contracts based on those services.

The band in the original post is described as "somewhat established."  There you go.  Moderately established means moderately compensated.  Don't get offended.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#10]
^ Plus, bands that play parties and events typically do that full time, hence are very professional about it and have established rates.  Like you said, they have extensive play lists encompassing many genres.  They can crank out 3 or 4 sets, take requests, etc.  They specialize in making folks dance at weddings, parties and corporate events.  If you think you're going to get AC/DC, you're wrong...that isn't to say they aren't great musicians because they usually are super talented.  But they don't deliver inspired "star" performances.  They have perfected the art of providing corporate entertainment.

I've seen lots of those at corporate events.  I can tell how good they are...consumate pros etc.  Very talented.  And I usually thank god I didn't have to buy a ticket to see em

If you are throwing a party...you have to pay for those bands.  They are great for your party but for some weird reason someone who drops $1000 on booze won't drop $1000 for a band.  So they ask a buddy, and what they get is a band better suited for a concert at a club, the gear doesn't match the venue (your basement) and they don't have more than an hour or so of music...probably not ideally suited for your party.  But hey, they were free and everyone was already plowed anyways so in hindsight they probably loved it.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
^ Plus, bands that play parties and events typically do that full time, hence are very professional about it and have established rates.  Like you said, they have extensive play lists encompassing many genres.  They can crank out 3 or 4 sets, take requests, etc.  They specialize in making folks dance at weddings, parties and corporate events.  If you think you're going to get AC/DC, you're wrong...that isn't to say they aren't great musicians because they usually are super talented.  But they don't deliver inspired "star" performances.  They have perfected the art of providing corporate entertainment.
I've seen lots of those at corporate events.  I can tell how good they are...consumate pros etc.  Very talented.  And I usually thank god I didn't have to buy a ticket to see em
If you are throwing a party...you have to pay for those bands.  They are great for your party but for some weird reason someone who drops $1000 on booze won't drop $1000 for a band.  So they ask a buddy, and what they get is a band better suited for a concert at a club, the gear doesn't match the venue (your basement) and they don't have more than an hour or so of music...probably not ideally suited for your party.  But hey, they were free and everyone was already plowed anyways so in hindsight they probably loved it.
View Quote

Right.  There is a huge gulf between playing a corporate event and showing up at a bro's house to jam some tunes, and there are merits to each scenario.  I miss the days of getting f'ed up and playing on my buddy's deck in Austin.

I miss the corporate scene for entirely different reasons, none of them having anything to do with music.  It's a little depressing.

It's obvious that not everyone realizes why the compensation is so disparate.  Bands have to realize the amount of planning, ass-kissing, and production that come with signing a contract to play a private event.  The client becomes the boss, the band the servant.  It's the client's party, and if his guests want to get drunk, hop on stage and rap some Beastie Boys in the middle of the set, then by God they will.  The band's original style and image will be subverted, and they will be a Beastie Boys cover band for that moment.  They can either feel humiliated and pissed off, or go with it, pretend to have fun, and enjoy depositing their generous check come Monday.

The private event market is all about service. A band should do a checklist of the services they provide before expecting mad compensation for playing a party.  Are they willing to spend hours consulting with a client in the months prior to the event?  Are they willing to tailor their dress and style of music to suit the client's tastes? Do they provide sound and lighting?  If so, will they have extra mics for partygoers who want to speak, give toasts, etc.? Will recorded music be played in between sets?  Are they willing to work overtime if the event goes late?  Can a potential client see them play in public before making a decision?  Can the band refer to past clients who have given objective reviews?  Will the band or their management coordinate with other companies, like the ones providing tents, generators, stages, and chairs?  The list goes on and on.

If bands check 'no' in most of those boxes, they should realize that they're not really service driven.  That's fine and dandy.  They should go to parties, play their own music for about an hour, and enjoy the beer, pizza, and good company.  There are reasons to be happy in avoiding a real deal to play a private event.  

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:36:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's obvious that not everyone realizes why the compensation is so disparate.  Bands have to realize the amount of planning, ass-kissing, and production that come with signing a contract to play a private event.  The client becomes the boss, the band the servant.  It's the client's party, and if his guests want to get drunk, hop on stage and rap some Beastie Boys in the middle of the set, then by God they will.  The band's original style and image will be subverted, and they will be a Beastie Boys cover band for that moment.  They can either feel humiliated and pissed off, or go with it, pretend to have fun, and enjoy depositing their generous check come Monday.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

I do not agree. You're paying for a service. I am not there to pour drinks. I am there to play music. Specifically, the music that I have spent time practicing and playing. When you agree to pay me money to play music at your house, you have agreed to pay me money to play my music at your house. There's no reason I should be doing anything but. Sure, if some dude wants to interrupt our set and have a rap battle, that's cool. That's going in to the time we allotted that I will be playing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:22:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I do not agree. You're paying for a service. I am not there to pour drinks. I am there to play music. Specifically, the music that I have spent time practicing and playing. When you agree to pay me money to play music at your house, you have agreed to pay me money to play my music at your house. There's no reason I should be doing anything but. Sure, if some dude wants to interrupt our set and have a rap battle, that's cool. That's going in to the time we allotted that I will be playing.

Actually we're in complete agreement.  I never said that bands should be compelled to do anything outside of performing music, and maybe providing some basic A/V, lighting, and/or DJ/MC services (that are spelled out in the contract, of course).  I agree with you on the schedule issue as well.  I've been in many a situation where partygoers have cut into the band's set time by blabbing on the mic.  The band still quits at 12:45 or whenever, or the host negotiates paid overtime.

I believe firmly in establishing boundaries at these kinds of events, or at any other job.  People ask me all the time to do shit that isn't related to my given role.  Over the years I've developed polite ways of dealing with it, and I would encourage bands to do the same.  Why would I advocate you getting roped into bartending at a gig?  That's way beyond the context of my posts.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:47:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I will and do play for free for close friends. That's it though. I once told someone who wanted me to play for free, but said beer and food would be included, that I couldn't pay bills with free beer and barbeque! And I'm to the point of never playing bars again. They're such a pain in the ass and pay nowhere near as good as private parties.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:25:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I will and do play for free for close friends. That's it though. I once told someone who wanted me to play for free, but said beer and food would be included, that I couldn't pay bills with free beer and barbeque! And I'm to the point of never playing bars again. They're such a pain in the ass and pay nowhere near as good as private parties.
View Quote

Playing for friends for free is really as far as I will go, and than only if it is local..and local means no further than 30-45 minutes...even bars I am fine with if they are close..its once you start passing that 45 minute point in distance that I need to look critically at everything involved (lineup, pay, sound system provided or not,  etc)...

I've also gone through the process of pretty much running one vehicle into the ground driving to these long distance gigs and rehearsals...not about to do so again except for very, very rare situations like I am encountering this weekend where I am playing a gig with in CT and than in NH with some guys who are in pretty deep in the regional and national jamband circuit.

In any case, since I made this thread the location and time slot of the non-paying gig has changed...it is now 2.5 hours away...on a Sunday from 4-6 pm.   Fuck that....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top