Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/11/2014 9:28:31 PM EDT
Saw this posted over on the SDUGF, thought I'd pass it along.

http://reverb.com/blog/gibson-to-increase-prices-update-models-for-2015

An extra $875 on the MSRP for a Les Paul Standard for a grand total of $3879 MSRP, amongst other things. I would say more power to them, but they are pricing themselves into a level that has competitors that have much better QC and consistency.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:04:42 AM EDT
[#1]

That is an outrageous price hike. How do they expect to stay in business?

The best Gibson LP I've played was a LP Studio at Guitar Center. No binding, no fancy finish but it played and sounded GREAT!!! And it was only $1000 and for my money I can't imagine spending more on an LP and getting that much more guitar for the money. Diminishing returns and all that. I'd still take an ES-335 over an LP.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:12:40 AM EDT
[#2]
No way I would ever pay that much for a standard.   A 30% price hike with fewer options in the line up to choose from.... Yeah, no thanks.  

There is a luthier here that will build me exactly what I want with a better fit and finish on everything for nearly half that.  

On top of that, just about everybody on ebay will be jacking up prices too calling everything a collectors item because Gibson doesn't make them anymore.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:37:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I told myself in 2012 that I would buy a new LP in 2014. No fucking way. I have an Epi Paul that I play the shit out of, and I think I'm just going to dump the money into putting some coil splitting humbuckers into it, and call it a day. I'm a strat man anyways.

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The best Gibson LP I've played was a LP Studio at Guitar Center. No binding, no fancy finish but it played and sounded GREAT!!! And it was only $1000 and for my money I can't imagine spending more on an LP and getting that much more guitar for the money. Diminishing returns and all that. I'd still take an ES-335 over an LP.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't know, seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot. When a PRS Custom 22 is only $70 more than a LP Standard, why in the hell would anybody buy the Gibson?

Quoted:
No way I would ever pay that much for a standard.   A 30% price hike with fewer options in the line up to choose from.... Yeah, no thanks.  

There is a luthier here that will build me exactly what I want with a better fit and finish on everything for nearly half that.  

On top of that, just about everybody on ebay will be jacking up prices too calling everything a collectors item because Gibson doesn't make them anymore.

I doubt the Faded and Tribute models will go up much on EBay, because the Gibson cork sniffers seem to have a universal dislike for those models.

Quoted:
I told myself in 2012 that I would buy a new LP in 2014. No fucking way. I have an Epi Paul that I play the shit out of, and I think I'm just going to dump the money into putting some coil splitting humbuckers into it, and call it a day. I'm a strat man anyways.

Actually, now would be the time to buy a new Gibson. Some of the online retailers have the 2014 models on clearance, and if they end up doing like they did last year, they will be marked down even more towards Christmas.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I just don't get what is so expensive about Gibsons anyways. Fender builds a great guitar at an affordable price, the American Strat has gone up in price a bit since I bought mine, but new 2014 American Standards are still $1249. Yes, I know it's comparing apple to oranges to compare an LP to a Strat, but the Fender is simply a better value. Those CS Fat 50s pickups sound incredible. At $3800+ the LP isn't much of a value. That should be a Custom Shop axe at that price.

It's a shame they stopped making the Midtown Custom, that was a nice Gibson that was affordable.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:00:44 PM EDT
[#6]
After Gibson's mishandling of the banjo community I have sworn off buying anything by them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a Les Paul Custom back in 05 at Guitar Center for $2200 out the door.  They want nearly twice that now, and there's going to be another price increase?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought my 2013 traditional last year when they had the big
Blowout sale... Already been offered more for it than what I paid.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I bought my 2013 traditional last year when they had the bigBlowout sale... Already been offered more for it than what I paid.
View Quote

I had a Gibson Raw Power a few years ago.  It was a les paul with stock EMG's.   I didn't really need it as it was sort of an impulse buy.  However, it sounded cool and I liked playing it.   I sold it for almost twice what I paid for it.

I sort of wish I held onto it.  I am just afraid a lot of les pauls are going to go that route with the price hike.  I like les pauls, but I don't like them that much.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 11:05:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I do not even want any of their new shit, so I don't care.

I figure that just raises the value of my old guitars..

ETA- actually I am half full of shit because I don't want to sell any of my guitars and I want to buy MOAR!!!! so any price hike is bad... I need another LP Black Beauty

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:35:06 PM EDT
[#11]
It's all in a name, GIBSON. You gotta have a Gibson? You gotta have a Gibson.

Me? I'm happy with my custom made Carvin DC127. Nuff said.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I remember my first really nice electric was a Gibson Les Paul Standard goldtop, bought new in 1982 or 83 for $550. That seemed like an absolute fortune back then.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:12:06 PM EDT
[#13]
If the government did an investigation, they'd probably find Gibson has been price gouging for years.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:22:39 PM EDT
[#14]
long time Gibson user here...but I have no use for them any more.

All of my Gibsons are old....I fail to see how a new les paul at $ 4 - 5K is better than an amazing PRS 10 top at much less $$$

I spoke with Gibson the other day about working on one of my Flying V's....they literally could give a fuck about any of the players these days....not like they were before...

fuck em

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 1:15:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

All of my Gibsons are old....I fail to see how a new les paul at $ 4 - 5K is better than an amazing PRS 10 top at much less $$$

I spoke with Gibson the other day about working on one of my Flying V's....they literally could give a fuck about any of the players these days....not like they were before...

fuck em

View Quote

+1 As I understand it, PRS may not use the branded PLEK system on their instruments, but to this day, it is absolutely amazing how much time and attention and hand finishing each and every "core" series PRS undergoes during manufacture and final review and set up, prior to leaving the factory.

I've said it before - PRS is an awesomely beautiful story of American success.

Every time I've contacted them for info re a used U.S. model, they have been stellar in their feedback.  Class American company.

(yes, I know their marketing is also likely driven by some genius MBAs )

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
+1 As I understand it, PRS may not use the branded PLEK system on their instruments, but to this day, it is absolutely amazing how much time and attention and hand finishing each and every "core" series PRS undergoes during manufacture and final review and set up, prior to leaving the factory.

Every time I've contacted them for info re a used U.S. model, they have been stellar in their feedback.  Class American company.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

fuck em

Agree 1,000%

years ago when I needed custom work done on my V's....a simple phone call....and off the guitar went with reasonable prices for jobs like fret jobs, refinish, etc.  

last week when I talked with them about refinishing a V...they said (without seeing the guitar) $2,000 to refinish.  this is fucking insanity.  I was a Gibson fan up to that point...the attitude of the repair shop was fucked up to say the least.  Gone is customer service..

PRS on the other hand is an amazing company to deal with.  One of my PRS's had an accident in the studio....taking a chunk out of the headstock due to a run in with an Anvil ATA case for one of the Marshall heads....I called PRS.... and Paul himself picked up the phone....(this happened around 1990 or so...so much smaller company....)  guitar was redone at no charge.....I was floored.  

Gibson THINKS they are the shit..and the collectors do not help.  

They have become a guitar MFGR for collectors...not players or artists
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#17]
I was looking at some Les Paul's yesterday in the 3800-4400 range. Totally crazy and stupid pricing. I will start looking at small boutique builders, vintage and PRS at that price.

And I love love my faded SG the fan boys always seem to hate. It happens to be one with some mojo.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

If the government did an investigation, they'd probably find Gibson has been price gouging for years.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:57:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Well...in light of the price increases....and what I have been seeing on recent Flying V prices...I bought another one this morning....LOL

Rudy Schenker Flying V - new in case....$1100.  It is the recent 2013 model...with the thinner body ala '70's style with the small headstock.  half white / half black finish.  

I did send Gibson an email which I am sure they got a chuckle out of......lol

Gibson has always been weird on prices....they seem to be a feast or famine type of company with no middle ground in between

Figure I can't go wrong with the Schenker V since V prices are going through the freaking roof

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:45:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Saw this posted over on the SDUGF, thought I'd pass it along.

http://reverb.com/blog/gibson-to-increase-prices-update-models-for-2015

An extra $875 on the MSRP for a Les Paul Standard for a grand total of $3879 MSRP, amongst other things. I would say more power to them, but they are pricing themselves into a level that has competitors that have much better QC and consistency.
View Quote

That's $800 more than I paid for a Fender Custom Shop Tele from Wildwood last month. What a joke.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd put my Heritage 535 up against a Gibson any day. Who needs em?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:10:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't blame ya, afterall, Heritage guitars are made by the people who know what's up when it comes to Gibson style guitars.

I would laugh my ass off if Gibson went tits up and the Heritage guys at the old Gibson factory bought Gibson out.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I don't blame ya, afterall, Heritage guitars are made by the people who know what's up when it comes to Gibson style guitars.

I would laugh my ass off if Gibson went tits up and the Heritage guys at the old Gibson factory bought Gibson out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think Gibson going out of business and being re-bought by somebody else would be good for the guitar world. Kinda like how CBS-era FMIC was in the shitter and the employees bought out the company and built Fender into a good name again.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#25]
So what makes a Les Paul worth:

$2,500 more than a Japanese Ibanez?

$3,000 more than an American Strat?

$2,000 more than a Carvin?

Thinking you gotta be nuts to shell out that kind of scratch on one of these things.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So what makes a Les Paul worth:

$2,500 more than a Japanese Ibanez?
$3,000 more than an American Strat?
$2,000 more than a Carvin?

Thinking you gotta be nuts to shell out that kind of scratch on one of these things.
View Quote

Yeah, when Fender seemed to start the "stupid pricing" trend when the US Standard instruments were jacked up a full 30% (2007?  2008?) I thought they were nuts.  But you went from having a $750 instrument to a $900-$1000 instrument.  When you're bloating prices from an already-obscene $2500+ to nearly $4000, you're really stretching.  

I've had my guesses that this will allow them to jack up the Epiphone prices (where the margins might not be so good right now) an equivalent amount.  That's pure profit right there... and, numbers-wise, that's their bread and butter.  

Even with G&L's 5-10% price bump for 2015, they're looking like better and better deals each year.

People complain about gas prices inflating... they haven't done shit in the past 5-7 years compared to guitars!  Are we running out of wood to build them out of or some shit???
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#27]
So if I can get a Gibson Explorer for under $800, then should fo?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

In good shape? Yeah.

I wish I had bought another one last year when I had a notion to.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

In good shape? Yeah.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In good shape? Yeah.

I agree.. I had a really nice Gibson Explorer pro with the flame maple top that sounded great.  I sold it because it was an impulse sort of buy, and I really wasn't good enough to justify spending $1,000 on a guitar at the time.  

$800 sounds like a really good price to me.  What year is it?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I agree.. I had a really nice Gibson Explorer pro with the flame maple top that sounded great.  I sold it because it was an impulse sort of buy, and I really wasn't good enough to justify spending $1,000 on a guitar at the time.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In good shape? Yeah.

2006. Guy is bringing it by this afternoon. $750 delivered!
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In good shape? Yeah.

That's a score!

I'd love to own a Gibson but I can't justify their prices. Always fancied the Studio models because I'm not a bells-and-whistles kinda guitarist. I like the barebones guitars ( Charvel San Dimas, anyone?)

I've had a few of the '70s Lawsuit Guitars in my posession before, and they've all played very well. Loved the tone and craftmanship. One was junk.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#32]
It's here!

The guy I bought it from is in a touring band, and has played festivals with Avenged Sevenfold, Van Halen, Ratt and a bunch of other bands. It's got a little buckle rash and it is dirty, but there aren't any major dings or scratches. Considering the fact that 1) they're kind of hard to find and 2) brand new they are going for almost $2,000, I'm really happy with it. I'll take it in for a clean up/setup...because I am lazy!

My dog likes the case!

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:46:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's here!

http://s29.postimg.org/eaf53wd9j/image.jpg

The guy I bought it from is in a touring band, and has played festivals with Avenged Sevenfold, Van Halen, Ratt and a bunch of other bands. It's got a little buckle rash and it is dirty, but there aren't any major dings or scratches. Considering the fact that 1) they're kind of hard to find and 2) brand new they are going for almost $2,000, I'm really happy with it. I'll take it in for a clean up/setup...because I am lazy!

My dog likes the case!

http://s27.postimg.org/k8jcqkcxf/image.jpg
View Quote

Congrats!

It's just like mine, except I have an '09. I don't know how you like the Gibson 500T/496R set, but I found them to be too harsh. Mine currently has a Burstbucker 1&2 set I picked up, but I'm probably going to try one of my Dimebuckers in it here before too long.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's here!

My dog likes the case!

View Quote

Hell ya! I would have FO'd as well. I think you a great deal.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#35]
My 2006 Explorer looks exactly like that as well.  Stock Pups.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:28:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's here!

My dog likes the case!

View Quote

Cute dog. My mom has a dog just like that.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, Musician's Friend now has the 2015 Les Paul Standard posted.MSRP: $6265, MF Price: $3759.00!!!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-2015-les-paul-standard-electric-guitar
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:49:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Well, Musician's Friend now has the 2015 Les Paul Standard posted.MSRP: $6265, MF Price: $3759.00!!!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-2015-les-paul-standard-electric-guitar
View Quote

Holy fucking shit they did it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#39]
What makes a Gibson so awesome that they're worth this much money?

Seriously.

You could deck out a Carvin for $1,800. Why get a Gibson?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

What makes a Gibson so awesome that they're worth this much money?

Seriously.

You could deck out a Carvin for $1,800. Why get a Gibson?
View Quote

Yep, and the Les Paul Standard is $150 more than a PRS Single Cut 245.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:37:51 PM EDT
[#42]
This news makes me think my 2013 LP Studio Goldtop was a good buy at 1030$ last year from Sweetwater.

Not only are they jackng prices... Goldtops all the sudden got real scarce.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Sold my Les Paul last year. Sounded great, but in the end I don't play guitar enough. Look at ESP's pricing too. I used to be a BIG fan of their guitars, but fuck $5,500 for a Jeff Hanneman Sig? It's a fucking basic super strat, no thanks. It's crazy. Used gear is always the way to go anyway, but still. FUUUCCCKKK.

I just want an ES335, but the prices on those are built up with some much WTF. I played a few and they universally felt as well made as a Gibson Melody Maker.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Sold my Les Paul last year. Sounded great, but in the end I don't play guitar enough. Look at ESP's pricing too. I used to be a BIG fan of their guitars, but fuck $5,500 for a Jeff Hanneman Sig? It's a fucking basic super strat, no thanks. It's crazy. Used gear is always the way to go anyway, but still. FUUUCCCKKK.
I just want an ES335, but the prices on those are built up with some much WTF. I played a few and they universally felt as well made as a Gibson Melody Maker.
View Quote
You think ESP's USA line is pretty ridiculous too.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ESPUSHOR

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Musician's Friend posted some more. No Explorers, but at least the street price on the LP Studio isn't too ridiculous.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/gibson-usa-guitars-and-basses-2015?icid=206442

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:58:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Played a new Gibson '58 Custom Shop, or Historic....whatever it was, about a year ago. It was priced about $4K or north of there, and it was a dog. Couldn't believe it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. ESPs are good, but not THAT good.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:48:31 PM EDT
[#48]
In celebration of Gibson's price increase...I just got in a used Schenker V today.  $1100..which is the most expensive V I have ever bought...(most of mine were bought in the 70's and 80's, etc for under $400 each.  She's built to the 70's specs...thin body, neck volute, raised neck from body.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

In celebration of Gibson's price increase...I just got in a used Schenker V today.  $1100..which is the most expensive V I have ever bought...(most of mine were bought in the 70's and 80's, etc for under $400 each.  She's built to the 70's specs...thin body, neck volute, raised neck from body.  

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/valmetshooter/GibsonV1.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/valmetshooter/GibsonV4.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/valmetshooter/GibsonV3.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/valmetshooter/GibsonV5.jpg
View Quote

Sweet!

Someone here in town had a cream v for $1,000 on CL, but I decided against buying it.

I may see if I can trade my American HSS Strat for one, or a Les Paul studio though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#50]
If you think the Les Paul price was bad...check out this V on MF....basically a late 70's V repro...by Gibson..keep in mind V's are usually a couple pieces of mahogany...cut out on a band saw....routed, neck mounted...finished...and electronics installed.  No seperate top to glue on...just a cheap slab of wood guitar ....$4,249 bucks

Gibson Fucking Insanity
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top