Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2014 4:53:46 PM EDT
I'm new to guitar and recently I bought a Yamaha APXII 500 BNIB for 108.00. I knew it was a good deal and I love it. However sometimes I feel like it may be too small for me. I was suggested an Epiphone Texan by a friend in the range of 400.00. The only problem is that I only wanted to buy another acoustic if it was going to be an American  made one. I know a Taylor or Martin is at least a grand for a decent copy, so I was going to wait on that. But is the size difference that noticeable that I should consider the Texan. Is the neck any larger as well? I'm overseas and guitars here in Germany are expensive so the used market isn't the answer and the BX here only sells the Yamahas, which mine was a customer return. I'm really liking my progression and my friend suggested a sling, which as silly as it sounds is something I didn't much consider would help. But I'll be picking one up soon. Just asking your opinions on the size differences. I'm 6'3" by the way.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#1]
You're gonna pay quite a bit more than $400 for a US made acoustic.

For cheaper acoustics, I used to like Samick, but have come to prefer Takamine & the Martin X Series. I don't know how much they are over there, but that's what I would look for first.

But since your BX can get Yamahas, I'd check to see if they could get this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FG730S?adpos=1o2&creative=55392802681&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CLXUp7mSy8ACFSpo7AodSAQAzQ It has a Solid Sitka Spruce top with a Rosewood back & sides, so it should sound decent. Just keep in mind that you'll need a good case to keep it in and a humidifier for the case (it helps to keep the top from warping).
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:45:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The think I bet bothers you on the APX model Yamaha is the narrow (neck) nut width. Check out the fg series they have a wider neck.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:50:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I would recommend getting one with at least a solid top.  I got an Ovation with a solid top for around $225.   It was a factory second, but it sounds great, and I don't see anything wrong with it.  You never know what you may find.  

If I were you I would see if you could find a Epiphone masterbilt or something similar.  I'm pretty sure they are in the same ballpark as the Texan.  They are made of solid wood and can be found for around $400-$500.  I would imagine a dreadnought would be a decent size.  They aren't made in America, but they are great guitars for the money.  

I had one for awhile, and it sounded better than I could play it.  They were also good enough for Alex Lifeson at one time.  I saw him play an acoustic version of their song Resist on a masterbilt.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#4]
For your price range, I would look on ebay for a used 70's Takamine F-300 series (the F330S is a D-18 copy). I bought one for $175 while my old Martin was getting a neck repair and fret level....it was damn near the equal of my Martin.

You can find a Martin DM series from the 90's for a reasonable price, and sometimes Guitar Center has a few entry-level Martins for $400 - $499.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Older Alvarez yairi, yamaha fg solid, takamini, all great options in mid-priced older solidtops
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:52:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Check misspellings on Ebay..  I bought a 1972 Alvarez Yairi 12 string acoustic electric (advertised as a 12-STING) for $187, and then bought a handmade 1981 Classical for $160ish.  Easily about $2k worth of guitars.  You can find some decent used Martin's for about $500 on there as well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:32:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I had no idea the neck was narrower than a normal acoustic guitar.  Thanks for the response s I will update when I can. It will be while though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top