Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2014 8:03:48 PM EDT
Hi folks.
My father, a self taught novice, bought this banjo many years ago and discovered he bit off more than his skillz could chew.
Thus this banjo has sat in its case for a long time virtually brand new.
I know nothing about them(trumpet and piano is my avenue).
He has asked that I sell it for him.
Any ideas of value would be very helpful.
Best I can figure is it's a Sonata 5 string tenor.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:23:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Since it has the brass resonator (aka pot) and has some years on it, it could be a higher value instrument. I suggest looking for any identifying model numbers, makers mark etc. to web search, as it might be a real find. I saw a 1932 Gibson Mastertone back in the 70's that was worth $8000 back then. If I had to make a wager I would guess around $300-$400. But thats just a guess.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:06:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks fancy..I tried the inter web and found zilch other than they were made in Korea by some

company that makes a lot of stuff for other companies. I would say it is worth around $250 to $350

but that is just stabbing in the dark here. A plain one on ebay at $89 and no bids with 12 hr to go

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I would post on Banjohangout.org to sell quick.

It is a Gibson Mastertone Copy. The tone ring looks to be gold plated but unknown in composition but probably brass. Gold colored Gibson clamshell tail piece. The tuning posts/machine can give an indication of the quality usually violin style gear post indicate higher quality. They should be marked if not one can assume they are Asian. No pics of the back but it can be seem that it does have a resonator which can raise the value. It has a bound rosewood fretboard, geared 5th string tuner, and a bound rim. Gold engraved arm rest and gold hooks. This generally indicates a high end of the line. Not saying that this is a high end banjo but certainly high end of thismakers line. It looks to me it is a Asian made banjo. Probably worth 500-800 tops.

It looks nice and this is what Asian makers do, they put all these bells and whistles on the banjo that catch the eye but do nothing for the sound of the instrument. Wood composition and fit of the tonering and the rim. The neck wood does have an effect on the sound but it is hard to say what the wood is. Generally neck woods are Maple, Walnut, Mahogany each being less bright than the next.

I found it here
Sonata - Seen gold plated, dark-stained flamed maple, clear head, clamshell tailpiece and carved heel and back of peghead, similar to Korean Washburn B-17.. The inlay design on the peghead is almost identical to that on the Washburn B-17. This one was circa 1995.

It was made by Samick who makes instruments for many different companies.
Banjohangout link

Still holding to the 500-800 range. It looks decent to better than average for a beginner. It should sell on the hangout pretty fast. Include pics of the back and any flaws, hard case or chip board, none. . Ya'll think gun guys are crazy, banjo players are in a league of their own. Ship double box, stuff newspaper balled up under the headstock, slack the strings, Insure the hell out of it and send Fed-Ex. NOT UPS!! http://www.stellingbanjo.com/blog/packing-and-shipping-a-banjo/
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow...you guys are fantastic!
Thanks very much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top