Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2014 10:09:37 PM EDT
I've got 18 guitars. Fenders, a bunch of Ibanez, BC Riches, Jacksons, Schecters...no Gibsons anymore, a Carvin bass. I only ever play a couple of them though. They're kinda like guns. They stack up over the years, and next thing you know you've got more than you know what to do with.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Take the cheapest one you have and donate it. Go a local store and look for the young kid there with dad. Hand him the guitar and save dad the money

That is, if you feel bad about so many. Maybe that will make you feel better about having 17 vs 18

Can you play Eruption yet?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got 7, and still counting!  Sold two that I wish I still had.  And a friend of mine (professional musician) has close to 60 by now.  Mostly the ones he buys are A) a new playable one each year and B) collectible ones.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:00:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope.

Never learned Iron Man, Crazy Train or Stairway to Heaven either.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:41:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Tough question...

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 1:43:24 AM EDT
[#5]
One more than what you currently own.  No, not 19.  Take whatever number of guitars you currently own, and add one.  That's too many.  i.e., n+1
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:59:37 AM EDT
[#6]
OP, if you have many nicer foreign made guitars that you don't play - like Korean or even MIJ - you can take them to your local Guitar Center and trade them all in against an expensive US made piece.  Sure, they only give about 60% of what they project to sell them at, but if you literally have more guitars than you have room for, it can be a nice option for culling the herd and acquiring a singular high dollar performer instead.  Just an idea.  I've done it twice, and although there is an initial awkward suspicion in the air when you arrive that you may have robbed a music store, you'll likely leave for home with a historic reissue Gibson or a wood library edition PRS that will make for a much tidier guitar room.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:13:17 AM EDT
[#7]

It's like guns.  

Either keep them all and buy more, or sell off the ones you really, probably won't use again (but will still regret selling someday) and try something new.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:53:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got 4 or 5, but I like cheap guitars.    The guitar that I leave laying around to pick up and play a lot is an Ovation that I got for like $220.  It is a factory second, but it has a solid top and sounds great.  I have a nicer acoustic that I use once I learn something or if I want to plug it in.  

My favorite electric is my '94 Japanese strat that looks really beat up.   It is the best sounding strat I have ever heard, at least to my ears.  I took it to a really nice luthier when I bought it to have it set up and looked over.   He even commented on the tone it had.  I will definitely never get rid of it.  It was only around $500.

Then I have a couple $150 dollar guitars that I really like.  I have a hollow body Jay Turser that doesn't sound good normally.   However, if I dial the amp in just right and get it in the right spot I really like the way it can feed back.  It really howls without sounding harsh if I do it right.    

The last one is an Agile telecaster copy.   I like to play with my hands, and it is great for that.  Has just the right amount of snap.  

So I have a few but just one that is expensive.   I like to find diamonds in the rough that have great sound that I am not afraid to tinker with.   More fun for me that way.  If I ever get to where I can play decent consistently I may buy a les paul or something.   I am starting the process of learning all over again so I don't need or want to spend a bunch on gear right now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Take the cheapest one you have and donate it. Go a local store and look for the young kid there with dad. Hand him the guitar and save dad the money

That is, if you feel bad about so many. Maybe that will make you feel better about having 17 vs 18

View Quote
I donated an Ovation for a benefit auction at church a few years ago....funny thing is
I have been getting the itch for another one....  They do have some good points...maybe a ceder top...

but I have heard of problems with them..

I have been in a selling mood as of late. I have been selling off all my import

guitars and only keeping my USA made stuff.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#10]
The more, the merrier.

<--------- Up to 16 at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:17:37 PM EDT
[#11]
just a few more.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:58:35 AM EDT
[#12]
You guys are making me want more guitars! I only have two Strats and an Ibanez acoustic!
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:24:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Is this a trick question?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

You guys are making me want more guitars! I only have two Strats and an Ibanez acoustic!
View Quote

I have two Strats and an Ibanez too!

I also have another Ibanez, and three BC Riches, and three more Ibanezes, and two Squires, a couple Schecters, a Carvin, a Jackson and an A&L acoustic (first guitar I bought for myself...20 years ago).

Oh, and I forgot my OTHER Ibanez!

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got 20 and that's all I have room for in my guitar closet.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top