Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2014 11:40:22 AM EDT
I have been playing guitar off and on for several years.   I took an unintended break from playing (new job, family, stuff like that) for awhile.   Not too long ago I really got back into playing, and I rediscovered my love for the phase pedal.

It is really the only pedal I have ever used other than a modded cry baby that I recently sold.  My rig is pretty simple... Just a phase and a wah and the amp.  I primarily play my '94 strat.  I can get most of the sounds I want from the amps I use.  Gone Shootin recommended a Laney IRT Studio, and that has turned out to be a killer amp.  I can just about any sound I want out of it.  I also got a HK Tubemeister 5 for clean stuff mostly.  

When I first started plugging back in and tinkering I forgot all about my phase pedals.   I knew the sound was off, but it took me awhile to remember why.  I almost always like to have a little bit of a phase pedal dialed in.  I currently have a MXR scripted phase 90, and EVH phase 90, and a MXR phase 100.  

Anyone know of any cool phase pedals I should try?  I figured I would start a modest collection since I like them so much.  Expensive boutique pedals are ok, but I will probably work my way up to those.  It's not like I am running a '59 Les Paul into a Dumble or anything.....  

So if you have heard one played with one or anything that sounded decent post them here.  I would love to give them a try.  

Thanks

ETA:  Old beat up pedals, or pedals not in production anymore are fine too.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:27:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Honestly, I'm a big fan of the phaser sounds in my GT-8. For that matter, any modulation effects are supreme on that sucker. I imagine the ME-50 version of that pedal from that time is really good too.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:25:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been on the hunt for both Flanger and a nice Phaser, finally settled on the MXR Micro Flanger for the flanger - smooth and musical.
Now, Phase I am torn between the reissue DOD 201 Phaser and the MXR CSP026 '74 Vintage Phase 90. The '74 has the best sound of all the MXR Phase 90 models,
there are side-by-side shoot outs on youtube which helped settle that for me.

Overall...I am leaning more towards the DOD 201 reissue. It has a very nice sound to it, with clarity and its range is all usable, no over throbbing insanity or I'd just kick on my Univibe.

I would start with those two as a base and then go from there if they don't have what you want.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:00:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been perfectly happy with my Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter. Used ones are cheap.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been digging the TC Electronics mini toneprint pedals I bought.  I have the Corona Chorus and the Flashback delay.  If you hook them up to a PC you can change a TON of parameters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top