Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2014 9:19:41 PM EDT
How in the world do you get this thing to stay right.  Last night I changed the strings on a guitar I just bought.  Played it for about 30 an hour and did a lot of string bending to stretch the strings and retuned it 4 times.  Hung it up and it was in tune picked it up a little while ago just about every string was off by 2. Tried to tune it and the bridge is constantly just a going up.  Know that you're supposed to mess with the springs every now and then.  So is there any certain way to do it?  Would really like to be able to use my tremolo and not just block it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#1]

This is all assuming that you have a Floyd Rose type trem. I have no experience with a Kahler.

Basically it's just a balancing act. If the trem is coming up on you, loosen the strings a little and tighten the springs a little, check tune, and repeat. And obviously, do the opposite if it's too low. You will want to do this gradually, a little bit at a time, that way it doesn't get away from you and go the other way. After doing it enough you will be able to move more at a time. After it's in tune and the trem is level, you can lock down the nut.

Also, in case you don't have the spring set up this way, for some reason it helps with stability if you install the springs so that they are on the middle 3 hooks on the claw and in the middle & outer two holes in the block, forming a kind of triangle with a spine up the middle, so to speak. This is assuming that you're running 3 springs.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I feel your pain. I got an Ibanez with a Floyd Rose "licensed" trem about a decade ago.

After I learned how to use the damn thing, I went in to a shop to get some work done on it. The guitar tech looks at all the stripped out allen bolts like "WTF WERE YOU DOING???"

The worst part is popping a string and sending the whole damn thing out of tune instantly.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Floating trems SUCK!!!

I swore them off many years ago. But on the occasion I do buy a guitar with a trem, I always block it any more. Piece of wood glued in the trem cavity between the trem block and the body wood. I learned on the road many years ago that broken strings on Floyd Roses were FUBAR once you broke a string. So I'd have to put the guitar down that very instant and grab another. With a block in the trem, you can finish the song.

I still think that Floyds and other floating trems suck, but I recently bought a Les Paul with a Floyd because one of my guitar heros (Alex Lifeson of Rush) has a signature LP in that configuration. Doesn't get played though... not when there are four other regular LPs to choose from.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.  I just put a medicine bottle cap in there to temporary block it.  I'll play with the screws when I get home in 11 days.  Rather spend what little down time I have playing.  Got lucky and had enough time to hit a pawn shop that had a brand new Jackson with EMG HZ pickups and a case.  Didn't think it was a bad deal for 250.  Had to have some thing since the bridge popped off my beater acoustic and my amp is here at the company housing. That and I left both electrics at the house, or at lest that's my excuse.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:32:05 PM EDT
[#5]
It's all a out the proper tension. A properly set up Floyd should not need much adjustment.

When I install new strings I get them all fairly tight during installation (tight enough that the tremendous leans back but isn't resting in the cavity) and then start tuning. Once the strings are tuned I play the guitar, do some tremendous dive bombs and super bends. Obviously the stings will set in and stretch. Here is the key; some strings will stretch and become looser than others. Some will actually be tighter (higher tuned) than is proper. DO NOT tune the ones that are tighter, only tune those that are looser, as they are throwing off the balance of the system, once the loose ones are at the proper tension the tighter ones should relieve themselves to roughly the correct tension.

It can take a good 20-40 minutes of balancing, but once it's set and reliable against dive bombs and heavy tremolo use only tune using the bridge. I have a Carvin with no lock nut and I don't have tuning issues once I get the balancing act correct. The only times I screw it up is when I engage my tremol-no and detune. That can fuck up the balance at times.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I put a block in my floyd rose to essentially fix it after many hours of frustration.

I've owned many floating trems over the years and have come to the realization that they all truely suck.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:50:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Floating trems SUCK!!!

I swore them off many years ago. But on the occasion I do buy a guitar with a trem, I always block it any more. Piece of wood glued in the trem cavity between the trem block and the body wood. I learned on the road many years ago that broken strings on Floyd Roses were FUBAR once you broke a string. So I'd have to put the guitar down that very instant and grab another. With a block in the trem, you can finish the song.

I still think that Floyds and other floating trems suck, but I recently bought a Les Paul with a Floyd because one of my guitar heros (Alex Lifeson of Rush) has a signature LP in that configuration. Doesn't get played though... not when there are four other regular LPs to choose from.
View Quote
I must agree. I do not have the trem blocked on my strat but I have it set on the deck with the springs

tight. It never goes out of tune..
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#8]
What are these "trems" of which you speak?

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:24:41 AM EDT
[#9]
There is also a dramatic difference in the quality of a genuine Floyd Rose trem made in Germany vs the "Floyd Rose licensed." I have a Floyd Rose Original on one of my Strats (marked "Made in West Germany" on the bottom) and it took a lot of adjustment to balance the springs but it was worth it because no matter what it keeps its tune ridiculously well. The knife edges on a genuine FR are case-hardened vs the licensed copies which are not. The licensed copies don't hold their tuning worth a crap after the first string bend, let alone dive bombs.

I've also found that DR strings don't stretch as much as some other brands so they're all I use. And frankly I only have a Floyd Rose on one of my Strats because I'm a huge EVH fan but on my other two Strats the trems are blocked. Floating the trem seems to sap some of the sustain.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:16:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Kahler and have no such issues.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've learned a few tricks to make stringing them easier.  It's not rocket science.  I never remove all the strings unless I absolutely have to for things such as guitar maintenance.  When I have all the strings off I always tune each one significantly sharp before adding the next and then allow each added string to pull the last one into tune.  Then I tune all the strings sharp again before adding another string and repeat reducing the amount of sharpness on each individual string as more strings are added.  If you do it enough it goes fairly fast though certainly not as quickly as a hardtail guitar.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Floating trems are awesome.

PROTIP When changing strings do not remove all old strings at the same time - remove them one by one as you put on new strings

even if you take off all of the strings it still isn't that much harder. There are tons of youtube vids showing how to do it but for real in depth instruction check out this link.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:04:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've learned a few tricks to make stringing them easier.  It's not rocket science.  I never remove all the strings unless I absolutely have to for things such as guitar maintenance.  When I have all the strings off I always tune each one significantly sharp before adding the next and then allow each added string to pull the last one into tune.  Then I tune all the strings sharp again before adding another string and repeat reducing the amount of sharpness on each individual string as more strings are added.  If you do it enough it goes fairly fast though certainly not as quickly as a hardtail guitar.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've practiced all of these tricks for years. But as you said, it's just SO much easier/quicker with a hard tail or non-locking/non-floating trem. And my biggest complaint all these years has been the tuning nightmare after string breakage.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Floating trems are awesome.

PROTIP When changing strings do not remove all old strings at the same time - remove them one by one as you put on new strings

even if you take off all of the strings it still isn't that much harder. There are tons of youtube vids showing how to do it but for real in depth instruction check out this link.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm
View Quote

I have a Floyd Rose on my 86 strat, once you get it right it's cake. Just always use the same string gauges every time.
I clip the strings and replace them one at a time. I use super slinkys and the strat has a locking nut.
I also pull up and stretch the new strings pretty energetically and tune and repeat before I lock it all down.

You probably need an additional spring and some adjustment of spring tension. Floating terms are so worth it.

Full limp string dives and 2 step up bends are so much fun. Throw in a little delay. Sweet.

ETA: by pulling up, I mean pull the strings away from the body of the guitar at 4 or 5 different places along the length
Like 3 or 4 inches. Significantly reduces the time needed to get the guitar stable.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:52:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Since this has turned into a Floyd vs fixed debate, I'll throw in my two cents.
I like both, I own both, therefore I recommend to get both.
YMMV

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:08:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

YMMV  
View Quote
I can roll with that

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:54:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

YMMV  
View Quote

Get both......so typical of ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:46:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

YMMV  
View Quote

I agree...  I love my fixed bridge, but I always find myself looking at trem equipped guitars...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top