Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/2/2014 6:33:21 PM EDT
Wanted to see if yall had any interest in doing this.  We used to play this game on an old (now defunct) forum.  The game is, after someone starts with a video of them playing a cover song.  The goal is to record it in one take (no editing) and it should be an early take...not something you spent a month practicing.  The next person volunteers to accept the challenge, and the previous video poster picks a well known rock song for him/her to cover.  Then on to the next, etc.

The rules are:

1) The song you pick for the next guy should be something fairly easy to learn and play, unless that guy asks for the works and makes it known they have a high skill level.
2) The video has to be one continuous take, no editing, one solid run all the way through.
3) The goal is not to try and play an exact faithful cover...embellish it all you want.  Make it your own.
4) Play along to the original or do your own totally unique version.
5) Have fun...if your version has a million mistakes...so what?  Record it, post it, and pick a song for the next guy.  
6) Keep the chain going!!!!

Anybody interested in doing this?

If you guys are, I'll start.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:42:26 PM EDT
[#1]
This sounds interesting, and might be a good way to get someone out of there comfort zone.  Tag for videos
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This sounds interesting, and might be a good way to get someone out of there comfort zone.  Tag for videos
View Quote

That's why we started doing it.  Spur folks to play, share, and get out of their comfort zone.

So I will start.  I did this video earlier today, and it was my second attempt (I dropped my sticks midway through the first, lol.)  

https://vimeo.com/102417539

Using Vimeo because YouTube has a tendency to lock down covers if the original audio is in it.

Next person to volunteer???????
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 10:27:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Nobody wants to play?  
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been wanting to learn a few country songs on bass, this sounds like a pretty good opportunity. Once I get my other instrument back from the band space, I'll play along
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 11:06:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've been wanting to learn a few country songs on bass, this sounds like a pretty good opportunity. Once I get my other instrument back from the band space, I'll play along
View Quote

Cool...then until somebody else steps up, I'm going to throw this country song to you.  Bass heavy and it should be fun to do your thing to.  Get er done!!!!!

Jerry Jeff Walker, Gettin By.

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't do vids ..
Or I should say I have no way of doing video's.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Heck with it count me in.  Coworker is supposed to get my electric from the house when he goes home Sunday for time off.  My acoustic beater's bridge finally came off today.  Might have to see what the pawn shop close to the man camp has.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 2:24:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Cool...then until somebody else steps up, I'm going to throw this country song to you.  Bass heavy and it should be fun to do your thing to.  Get er done!!!!!

http://youtu.be/q6yIiQUgK3U
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/q6yIiQUgK3U

Hahaha this'll be good
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 10:51:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Heck with it count me in.  Coworker is supposed to get my electric from the house when he goes home Sunday for time off.  My acoustic beater's bridge finally came off today.  Might have to see what the pawn shop close to the man camp has.
View Quote

Cool.  You are up after GIR-101.  GIR-101 when you post your video, give runs_with_scissors a song.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Cool.  You are up after GIR-101.  GIR-101 when you post your video, give runs_with_scissors a song.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair warning I'm just getting back into playing and I'm almost on a beignets level.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#11]
vomit riff
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 7:38:32 PM EDT
[#12]
What the hell, I'm game. I play guitar. I will have to figure out a way to get a vid up but it shouldn't be an issue.

Edit: I've been playing a while so it doesn't have to be beginner level. I'm certainly no virtuoso or anything though

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:01:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
vomit riff
View Quote

That would actually be a lot of fun to learn

I'll get on it this weekend once I'm done working on my music. I doubt I'll be able to get ahold of my Washburn to record it with, so I'll just tune my Warwick up to standard. Fuck it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#14]
There's a song I've wanted to learn for a little bit so I'll try and upload it tonight. I have a vague idea of how to play it and stumbled across how to play the easy part one day at practice but the main line is completely foreign to me.

Edit: Nevermind. Forgot that today was studio day. Jesus.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Fair warning I'm just getting back into playing and I'm almost on a beignets level.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any kind of particular music you're interested in?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like a lot of classic rock and blues sounding stuff.  I've been working on Eric Clapton's wonderful tonight the last couple of days.  Plan on starting on Jimi's Hey Joe in a day or so.  Before I put the guitar down about 8-9 years ago I played mainly rhythm.  This go around I'm working on lead guitar.  Pretty much anything with bluesy or good rock sound catches my interest.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll get it recorded and posted up here in the afternoon.

For just being a simple two step rhythm, it's completely alien to me and took a little bit to get the idea and feel behind it.

Simple enough once you figure out it's all Root & 5ths, but still interesting learning off of chords as opposed to tabs.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Alright Scissors, your turn. All Along The Watch Tower
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ5T9uLvcxo&feature=youtu.be

View Quote

Hopefuly I should get a chance to do it by Thursday.  Putting in some long hours today and the next few days.  Another crew is in a bind meeting a deadline before a frac crew gets to the location.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 7:11:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Hopefuly I should get a chance to do it by Thursday.  Putting in some long hours today and the next few days.  Another crew is in a bind meeting a deadline before a frac crew gets to the location.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No worries. I didn't have a whole lot of time, what you see in the video is about 3 or 4 hours of listening and trying to play along followed by two takes.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Awesome!
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:46:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Cool. Glad to see this is moving along!
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 12:30:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Hate to say it guys I still haven't had a chance to pick up my guitar.  Looks like I'm going to finish my rotation working 18hr days.  Guess it'll pay for my new amp sitting at the house.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hate to say it guys I still haven't had a chance to pick up my guitar.  Looks like I'm going to finish my rotation working 18hr days.  Guess it'll pay for my new amp sitting at the house.
View Quote

Take your time, people's got's lives and shit!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Either I've always sounded like crap or I still haven't gotten back up to speed from my break from playing.  Sorry I've got to bow out on this as my playing would make the deaf scream for me to stop.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Either I've always sounded like crap or I still haven't gotten back up to speed from my break from playing.  Sorry I've got to bow out on this as my playing would make the deaf scream for me to stop.
View Quote

We could always choose a simpler song for you if you like
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:02:28 PM EDT
[#27]
If I can figure out how to upload a video I'm in.

Bass guitar now.

I mostly do new wave from the 80s like Duran Duran, Police,  some rock as well Benetar, Sass Jordan, Def Leppard.

I borrowed a bud's  beginner type Yamaha keyboard but haven't been able to play it much, and I haven't played keyboards since 2005 other than a bit of piano. I played keyboards in a few bands in the 80s and 90s, mostly rock, hair metal stuff.

Sadly, I sat down and attempted to play Howard Jones' New Song, and was nearly completely lost.

I figured, hey, I'll play something easy, so I tried I'll Wait by Van Halen, something I played three times a week and then twice every weekend when it was part of our set. I really, really need practice.

Anything I do will have to be on a Sunday, as it's the only time I have to plug in.  

Just to clarify, I'm asking for bass.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:52:41 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, no judgment here! If you decide you want to pass, I'm ready

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:59:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

No judgement here either, but to be clear, the point of the game isn't to make everyone seem like virtuosos...it is to share your progress warts and all, and get out of the comfort zone.  I'll gladly share my awful Ted Nugent and Lady Gaga videos from the previous times I played the game
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Sorry I'm just to embarrassed, so someone else go.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:35:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Ok guys I need a song then, unless I'm supposed to take Watchtower.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No worries, brother, we'll catch you next go around

Quoted:

What genre you interested in playing, what genre do you normally play, what genre do you never play?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:14:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

What genre you interested in playing, what genre do you normally play, what genre do you never play?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well I started playing guitar and did the classic rock thing and alternative, then I moved into modern rock, punk, hardcore, and metal. I play a good mix of that today, but with an emphasis on the heavier stuff I guess. If it has good guitar in it, I'm game. I never play country or pop because I never listen to it, and I typically learn songs by figuring out riffs I like.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Well I started playing guitar and did the classic rock thing and alternative, then I moved into modern rock, punk, hardcore, and metal. I play a good mix of that today, but with an emphasis on the heavier stuff I guess. If it has good guitar in it, I'm game. I never play country or pop because I never listen to it, and I typically learn songs by figuring out riffs I like.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

How far down the rabbit hole of metal do you go?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

Haha, pretty far I suppose.. I dig the older 80s stuff but I typically play newer songs that people dismiss as cookie monster music

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Haha, pretty far I suppose.. I dig the older 80s stuff but I typically play newer songs that people dismiss as cookie monster music

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alright.

Either All Along the WatchTower, or this, the most under-rated Lamb of God song there is:

The choice is yours.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Alright.

Either All Along the WatchTower, or this, the most under-rated Lamb of God song there is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt693D13sBo
The choice is yours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Alright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt693D13sBo
The choice is yours.
cool

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#38]
uploading as we speak guys
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Ok guys here it is, dicked up solo and all

I have problems sneaking in those fast pinch harmonics like he does in the pre-chorus, so I didn't even try to do them. I could've nailed that solo with a few more takes but decided it would be against the spirit of the challenge.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:46:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Fanfuckingtastic!  Love me some lamb of god!  Really nice work right there.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:22:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I have problems sneaking in those fast pinch harmonics like he does in the pre-chorus, so I didn't even try to do them. I could've nailed that solo with a few more takes but decided it would be against the spirit of the challenge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOvJr55oruI&feature=youtu.be
View Quote

Fucking awesome man, I wasn't expecting anything more than just the rhythm guitar.

Well done!

Who's up next?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#42]
its either Credge or Pavlov I suppose. Whoever shows up - let me know what you play

ETA: and thanks guys!

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOvJr55oruI&feature=youtu.be
View Quote

Awesome...great work!  Let's go, Credge or Pavlov...step up!!!!!  
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:01:32 PM EDT
[#44]
we need some fresh blood in here!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:09:35 PM EDT
[#45]
I do new wave / post punk ( not hard core ) stuff on bass, , Duran Duran, Men at Work , Nena etc, bass only for now. I do rock from the 80s, but usually only with interesting bass lines, or prominent bass, like Benetar, Sass Jordan, some Def Leppard, things like that.

Once I get comfortable with a little keyboard I borrowed I may be able to do some stuff with that, though the keys are really flimsy feeling.

Same with guitar, working on getting another one I hope, Been about two years since I played one now.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:52:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Well my knowledge of new wave is admittedly lacking, so I am going to give you a couple choices from the 80's, both with prominent basslines..

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 12:25:49 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm down for something, only thing is for some reason I can't watch videos on youtube. So just give me the name of the song.

And something with tabs, I can't figure stuff out by ear.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Well my knowledge of new wave is admittedly lacking, so I am going to give you a couple choices from the 80's, both with prominent basslines..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8qDz7K1nbU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RATEoDH9WiY

View Quote

I'm going with Iron Maiden. Love the bassline. The Priest one is mostly a droning basic line, b ut the Iron Maidon one has speed, a really funky triplet and looping triplet section, as well as some other challenging ( to me ) elements. He has a funky way he changes those up. The riffs are cool, there are a couple of stretches from 9th to 14th and 15th frets and back that are going to be tough on me since I have small hands and it will force me into a different finger positioning than I'm used to. The very end may give me trouble as well.

I really hope I get the chance to record it tomorrow, but I was hoping to be able to actually play through it a few times first since I haven't yet, and I'm not real familiar with the song, having not heard it more than twice since it was new.

It'll be funny to watch me grope my way through it. lol

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Who's on first again?

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm still waiting on a song.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top