Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2014 7:23:23 PM EDT
Been good friends with this guy for at least a decade and early he was pretty mellow and laid back with respect to his abilities...

These days though his ego is large enough to take up an entire room...claims to be the best in the area when it comes to his genre of choice, etc...etc...

What the hell happens to people to turn them into these egomaniacs?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#1]
45 > 9....

But as long as he is doing his squats/deads/presses I think he'll be ok. Maybe some accessory work after a while once he builds up some stamina.

Look at starting strength, BBB, and after a while maybe 5/3/1

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#2]
oooooops

please move to music forum (before the self defense guys kick my ass!) lol..
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
oooooops

please move to music forum (before the self defense guys kick my ass!) lol..
View Quote

Eh it's not so much self defense as it is fitness
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:15:11 PM EDT
[#6]
The solution is to go find an old fellow who is amazing then have them handily meet where your friend can get schooled. Unless your friend really is that good? This also works if you find someone much younger than him to show him up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:36:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Let him keep going with that attitude, eventually he will wither rest on his laurels and let his skills degrade, or somebody will eventually come along and knock him down a peg or two.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, he's a guitarist, isn't that what those self-fellating fuckers do?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#9]
In my experience, the guy with the biggest ego who says he is the best is never that.  Most of the best players of any instrument in the world share one thing in common...the more they learn the further away from mastery they consider themselves.  And that is what drives them to truly be the best.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In my experience, the guy with the biggest ego who says he is the best is never that.  Most of the best players of any instrument in the world share one thing in common...the more they learn the further away from mastery they consider themselves.  And that is what drives them to truly be the best.
View Quote

This.  There's always someone bigger, faster, smarter, richer, more chicks, whatever.  He should quit trying to envision the top of the mountain and just enjoy the climb upwards.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Been good friends with this guy for at least a decade and early he was pretty mellow and laid back with respect to his abilities...
These days though his ego is large enough to take up an entire room...claims to be the best in the area when it comes to his genre of choice, etc...etc...
What the hell happens to people to turn them into these egomaniacs?
View Quote

He's pissed off that he hasn't "made it."   The overinflated ego is compensation for failed stardom.
Guys like that are usually pretty insecure.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:23:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, to be fair... If he were playing next to someone like me he might very well sound like the best player ever.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:39:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Well, to be fair... If he were playing next to someone like me he might very well sound like the best player ever.  
View Quote
I have always looked at my playing as just so so and have never thought highly of my abilities. I get compliments all the time but I just figured they were just being nice. I marvel at what I consider real players. I watch their every move.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:09:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have always looked at my playing as just so so and have never thought highly of my abilities. I get compliments all the time but I just figured they were just being nice. I marvel at what I consider real players. I watch their every move.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thats pretty much what my attitude towards it is.....and I've gotten complimented on my playing by many people, and have done some shows with people who are truly pros...meaning that music is what they do for a living, tour, teach, do workshops, etc...but at the end of the day I could never imagine making statements of the sort my friend is making..

He's good, and has a great feel for the genre he is drawn towards, but the best?  nah.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#15]
When I'm at home in my garage
I'm a guitar legend
Around musicians I get humble real quick
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:26:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Same here.

When I was seventeen, I thought I was the second best guitarist in the world (Eric Clapton was #1).
When I was twenty, I knew I was the second best guitarist in the world (the rest of the world was tied for #1).  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a guitar legend
Same here.

When I was seventeen, I thought I was the second best guitarist in the world (Eric Clapton was #1).
When I was twenty, I knew I was the second best guitarist in the world (the rest of the world was tied for #1).  

When I was 17 I wanted to shred and play fast and show off and be hot shit. Now I envy those guys that suck at guitar from a technical standpoint yet still crank out a song that someone can really connect to, that is a gift.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:42:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Is this him http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vms_6_TSQuc#
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#19]
^Link fail.

FIFY

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Has he been hanging out with a community organizer??????
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:30:20 PM EDT
[#22]
He may be right. If he's in a band that does stuff, he'll find he has competition with other players who are similar to him in skill. I like to use long-travel gigs as a way to gauge myself against others. It helps keep me focused on getting better.

If he's just sitting in his house playing blues with a few dolts who can't figure out 12 bar blues, then that's something a bit different.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

When I was 17 I wanted to shred and play fast and show off and be hot shit. Now I envy those guys that suck at guitar from a technical standpoint yet still crank out a song that someone can really connect to, that is a gift.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a guitar legend
Same here.

There's nothing wrong with being a Steve Clark..
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Seriously though, I am terrible songwriter.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:11:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I feel for.people who are so hung up that they loose the joy
from playing music. I love it when I can nail a song or sound but the joy of music Is why I play and lug equipment around with a bad back

and arthritis .
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:23:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, I get compliments also. If I didn't have nerve damage in my fret hand I'm sure I could be better. I watch guitarists like Zakk Wylde, Jimmy Page, Eddie VanHalen, and Joe Satriani and it just blows my mind how good those guys are.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 11:12:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was watching The History of the Eagles not too long ago.   Glenn Frey was talking about writing and the fear of writing bad songs early on.    He said he was talking to Bob Seger about how he was afraid of writing bad songs.   Seger told them they are all bad in the beginning.   Usually you have to stick with for awhile for the good stuff to come along.  Glenn Frey ended up writing a few good songs during his career.  Writing the bad stuff helps you recognize when you have something great.

Probably doesn't help any, but I thought it was relevant.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:09:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I was watching The History of the Eagles not too long ago.   Glenn Frey was talking about writing and the fear of writing bad songs early on.    He said he was talking to Bob Seger about how he was afraid of writing bad songs.   Seger told them they are all bad in the beginning.   Usually you have to stick with for awhile for the good stuff to come along.  Glenn Frey ended up writing a few good songs during his career.  Writing the bad stuff helps you recognize when you have something great.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am kind of coming to that realization. In high school I was into metal riffage and just guitar stuff, now I just want to write a good country/rock song (think cross Canadian ragweed)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top