Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2014 5:22:48 PM EDT
I feel like I must be the only one based on their popularity on the various fender forums. It just seems lame to buy a guitar that is made to look old and well played. It is the equivalent of throwing your AR down the driveway. I am fine with genuine wear, but something about paying thousands for custom shop guitars with fake wear seems well...fake. If it works for you, great. I am just struggling to understand.

I know cool story, but I just needed to get that off my chest

Edit: for clarity.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't like any of the worn looks....real or artificial

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's done tastefully, I think they look great. The early Cunnetto Fender custom shops were very well done.
Many are over the top now and look quite fake.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 10:59:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I hate them..nothing real about them. I take good care of my equipment and if I played out every night for the next 35 years my AX would never look like those turds.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 11:26:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably played by the same D-Bags that buy these.

Link Posted: 6/21/2014 7:20:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Yup.  Hipster bullshit.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#6]
100% gay and you are spot on. It's exactly like throwing your AR down the driveway.

If your guitar is beat up because you played the shit out of it then that is cool. If your guitar is beat up because someone else played the shit out of it and sold it and you bought it that way, then that is OK. If your guitar is beat up because you wanted the guy at the factory to take a belt sander to it so people would look at your guitar and think you played the shit out of it then you are a fucking poser.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I think Fender (and others) have a brilliant marketing strategy with these guitars. Any body they screw up they simply "relic" and charge for it. Instead of AR blem lowers they should be "combat worn reliced" and sold at a premium.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#8]
One of the Most Retarded things ever.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 10:29:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I really don't think that I could care less.

What I hate are people who suck at the electric guitar.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 6:11:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I really don't think that I could care less.

What I hate are people who suck at the electric guitar.
View Quote

Well you would definitely hate me then!

I don't actually care if it belongs to another person and they love it...hey it is their guitar. But I can't help the way I feel about them personally.

Also I am just trying to drum a little action up in a relatively slow forum.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I am a luthier and i make "relics". The distinction is that i do NOT make clones of other company's guitars and beat them up to increase the perceived value...
my designs are original, and the relicing i do is mainly in the tint of the clearcoat and primer to acheive subdued, "30 year faded" hues,  rather than " brand new platic dip" Finish properties.

But, Crazed nitrocellulose lacquer does look cool.

Link Posted: 6/22/2014 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#12]
If it's real wear and tear, I like it, but I don't care for the fake stuff.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 8:20:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If it's real wear and tear, I like it, but I don't care for the fake stuff.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 8:35:14 AM EDT
[#15]
real wear and tear I am good with.  

paying extra for "history" is pure marketing bull shit.  the worst part is the losers that pay for it however.  

I have a real 1967 Gibson Flying V.  It started out pure white.  It is now a yellow color with so many laquer cracks.  the edge where my arm has paid is very thin on the finish...past the top coat...it has character.   I can't bring myself to refinish it...partly due to the vintage nature...and more importantly....the memories of that guitar.  Lord knows how much cigarette smoke / stage lights / beer / and sweat caused that yellow finish

I think I will keep her the way she is

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

paying extra for "history" is pure marketing bull shit.  the worst part is the losers that pay for it however.  

I have a real 1967 Gibson Flying V.  It started out pure white.  It is now a yellow color with so many laquer cracks.  the edge where my arm has paid is very thin on the finish...past the top coat...it has character.   I can't bring myself to refinish it...partly due to the vintage nature...and more importantly....the memories of that guitar.  Lord knows how much cigarette smoke / stage lights / beer / and sweat caused that yellow finish

View Quote

Original 67 V in white?

Fuuuuu so jealous
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 7:24:42 AM EDT
[#17]
"Road Worn" as a series is gay as fuck.

You need to earn those beauty marks on that instrument yourself!

ETA: Both of my basses have some pretty good wear over the neck pickup from my finger nails gouging the wood from the follow-through of 8 million triplets
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Its like buying a new car that has dents and scratches. I don't get it
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#19]
My '67 Jazz Bass was like this when I bought it back in '87.

I've put a few dings in it myself over the years.  It looks beat to shit and barely holding on, but, damn, it sounds good!  She's good for another 50-years, at least.

Honest wear and tear.

I'd never pay extra to have a guitar "relic'd" from the factory.  To me, it's like trying to buy character.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 5:51:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Original 67 V in white?

Fuuuuu so jealous
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Original 67 V in white?

Fuuuuu so jealous

If you only knew how many rare ones have been in my possession.....lol

I kick myself when i think of some that i sold or traded

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:00:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pics? Sounds awesome.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 5:22:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Fender's Custom Shop "NOS" and to a lesser extent, their "Closet Classic" guitars, I can live with.

But the heavily reliced guitars are just plain stupid to me. There's a lot more that comes with the wear and tear that doesn't "show" and can't be reproduced with a belt sander.

Old guitars have lived . . .

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top