Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2014 10:26:36 PM EDT
I need to clean (maybe replace?) a volume pot on my '94 Fender 'Blues Deluxe' (pops and scratches when I use the knob).
I've never done this before but understand, via online, that the pots need to be de-soldered first and then taken off the circuit board before disassembling.
The techniques to remove any carbon build-up on the contacts of the two components, is using a light touch with a pencil eraser along with either alcohol or a cleaner such as Deoxit.

I'm not super skilled in the soldering arts (water-line fittings, small electrical wires, etc.) and have no experience soldering circuit board connections. I also have dumb questions about wicking the old solder off the board, etc., but I think this is something I would like to try my hand at though.

I realize my amp is not a Dumble and it is only a volume pot. Just a little leery that my LMS has to outsource any amp work to a tech that I don't know and can't speak to personally.

Anyone here feel like sharing any tips on doing this before I start?
If it's not too terribly hard, I'd prefer to do all of the pots of course.

Thanks

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:58:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Take it loose from the face plate...unplug the amp first... spray contact cleaner into the pot and work the shaft back and forth.
Repeat...I have had good luck with WD 40 if contact cleaner is not available.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 4:56:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Caig Deoxit 5

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 7:56:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take it loose from the face plate...unplug the amp first... spray contact cleaner into the pot and work the shaft back and forth.Repeat...I have had good luck with WD 40 if contact cleaner is not available.
View Quote

Thanks Fairplay. I haven't ruled that out (spray with deoxit, not WD40) Seems like a bunch of work to disassemble just for a pot. Heck, I can do that.
However, thanks to the internet, I'm reading that that type of cleaning is not recommended. That's why I would consider sending it to a tech if they actually did disassemble the thing and did it right.
I'm gonna look over the thing again as soon as my coffees gone.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I just looked at a pic of a Blues Deluxe. Looks like you can expose the PCB by removing the back panel.  Once the panel is off, all of the pots are exposed.  Easy-peasy.  There should be a small opening on the edge of each pot.  Put the spray extension on that opening, give it a 3-second blast on medium (there are settings for the spray tip on the Caig cans), then rotate the pot back and forth (full rotation) for a about 30 seconds. Let the Deoxit evap for a few minutes, plug the amp in, and check for scratch noises.  If they're gone, all's well.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I use contact/lube cleaner. RX500-12.

Worked wonders on my Laney amp as well as my Ham radio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top