Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2014 8:12:34 AM EDT
A buddy loaned me a Jay Turser hollow body electric to learn on. I liked learning so much I had to go out and buy an axe of my own.

It's a Fender FSR Strat modeled after David Gilmour's famous Black Strat. I have been looking at this model for over a year and yesterday was the day.
Yesterday morning a little voice in my head said to look at Guitar Center's website and lo and behold it was on sale for $399! Ran right down there and snapped it up.
A year ago it was $700 and above my pay grade.
It is absolutely flawless and looks as good as the American Strats they had. It's much easier to play than the JT and screams like a banshee! My neighbors are going to hate me I'm sure.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I would say a positive step up from the Jay

You will love the Strat..I know I love mine more than any guitar I have ever owned.

Some day I need to get one with a maple fret board to add to the collection.

I see you have a little radio collection going there.

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, a definite improvement from the Jay. The Jay does have it's own tone though. The Strat sounds more "like I like it". Nothing little about that lineup of radios! I have more modern radios in a 6ft tall computer enclosure.
Can someone recommend a hard case for $100 or there abouts?
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#3]
It's beautiful!  Always loved the classic lines of a stratocaster.  Careful though, the addiction has started.  You'll wake up one day and find that you have several guitars and you'll be looking for your next purchase.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 9:09:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes, a definite improvement from the Jay. The Jay does have it's own tone though. The Strat sounds more "like I like it". Nothing little about that lineup of radios! I have more modern radios in a 6ft tall computer enclosure.

View Quote
Lots of cases in that price range. My American Deluxe came with a Fender case but I would not say it is a real high quality case.
I have not had a guitar that came with a good case since I bought a new Gibson Les Paul back in 1988.

You could try a TKL..they are OK and you should be able to score one in that price range.

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have this one for an Ibanez S series, a Strat should fit well.

Has the velcro neck hold down as well.

Case
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:03:14 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

I looked at one of those last night at Guitar Center. Seemed flimsy so I bought a Road Runner semi-hard case. Even though it's "semi-hard" it's way more rigid than the Fender tweed case. Go figure.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Very nice.

What pickups come stock in those?

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks! I don't know what pickups are in it. I haven't taken it apart, but I will at some point. I'm sure they aren't top tier but the couple of real guitar players (not me) that have played it say they sound pretty good for a "budget" Fender. They were impressed with the build quality also.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:59:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I looked at one of those last night at Guitar Center. Seemed flimsy so I bought a Road Runner semi-hard case. Even though it's "semi-hard" it's way more rigid than the Fender tweed case. Go figure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

There are different grades of tweed cases from Fender.

There are the cheap imported cases that have replaced most tweed cases, and then the higher end G&G cases (the classic Fender case).
Most likely you looked at one of the import cases, they aren't all that. Fit/finish is poor and hardware is low quality.

The better cases have slowly been phased out of many models, but still used on more expensive signature and Custom Shop guitars. Trust me, the last thing they are is flimsy, they are heavy!

I like the good tweeds, but I've gone to an SKB molded for my hardtail. The G&G cases are for young strong guys to lug around.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had four tweed cases from Fender and they all shit out on me in a few months of extremely light use. Extremely light, as in, I took them once a week to band practice.

The Freedom line of cases by SKB are solid. I've had two for two guitars for the last four years and I haven't had a single problem with it. They've been with me on tour, through three moves, and countless gigs.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#12]
TKL makes some good cases too. I bought the one I have for my Epiphone Les Paul back around '05 or so and except for some of the outer Tolex like outer covering starting to peel up at a seam, it's held up great.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:15:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Great looking Strat. I love black on black.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 11:11:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top