Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2014 11:13:21 AM EDT
I'm in the market for a set of headphones that will be used to monitor my playing. The plan is too hook them to the headphone jack on the amp. They will be used for guitar and bass.

Any brands that seem to stand out among the rest? Price is a factor, I'm not a pro or very good player. Something in the 100-buck range, less expensive is fine too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got a set of Sony MDR-V6's which are comfortable and legendary.  I think they run $90 these days.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I highly highly recommend THESE don't let the cheap price fool you they are very very good. They have excellent bass and treble. As you can see they have hundreds of good reviews. Good company to buy from too!
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 12:27:36 PM EDT
[#3]
look at heil
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I highly highly recommend THESE don't let the cheap price fool you they are very very good. They have excellent bass and treble. As you can see they have hundreds of good reviews. Good company to buy from too!
View Quote

For you audiophiles, what does this rating mean:  Sensitivity 100 +/- 3 dB / 1mW (S.P. L at 1 k Hz) ?

I am also looking at getting a decent pair of headphones myself, not a musician or audiohead, but I enjoy music and like to get the best sound possible without being overly priced.

So, yeh, this is a tag ...
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote
Never heard of them before but for the price and the reviews I would fo.

Link Posted: 3/29/2014 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

For you audiophiles, what does this rating mean:  Sensitivity 100 +/- 3 dB / 1mW (S.P. L at 1 k Hz) ?

I am also looking at getting a decent pair of headphones myself, not a musician or audiohead, but I enjoy music and like to get the best sound possible without being overly priced.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The sensitivity means approximately 100 decibels at 1 watt of input power measured at 1 meter from the speaker with a 1khz tone. Spl stands for sound pressure level aka how loud something is.

I'd recommend Sennheiser HD280s. Great sound, great over the ear fit and great attenuation. About 80 to 90 bucks online.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#7]
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/49510-REG/Sony_MDR_7506_MDR_7506_Headphone.html

I have a pair of these that I use when practicing or checking mixes for headphones. Also, just general music listening. The upside is they are very good quality. The downside is a ton of songs I used to like were ruined by them because I hear the absolute worst recording and mixing decisions on the very obviously with them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Double tap?

WHAT
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:16:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd recommend Sennheiser HD280s. Great sound, great over the ear fit and great attenuation. About 80 to 90 bucks online.
View Quote

Seconding the HD280.  A buddy of mine has a set that he uses for his computer-music-recording setup.  They are fantastic.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 2:55:25 PM EDT
[#10]

I have a pair of these that I use when practicing or checking mixes for headphones. Also, just general music listening. The upside is they are very good quality. The downside is a ton of songs I used to like were ruined by them because I hear the absolute worst recording and mixing decisions on the very obviously with them.

These.  I've had mine for 20 years.

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 4:52:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Yeah, isn't that funny....

Having not had a decent set of headclamps in a longtime, it's also pretty cool hearing stuff you never realized was there before.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#12]
After years of monitoring, mixing, recording...I come to find you need good headphones....and unless you try them all, you won't know which is which.

The $35 Bestbuy head phones will play back a CD but will distort if you are using them for recording.

Currently I am using  Audio-Technica ATH-M50x....but they are $160. I hear more tones and subtleties that cheapies don't reproduce.
They do get warm on the ears after a while, but when I am recording the guitar doesn't sound like fizz and the drivers/speakers don't clip with the drums coming through them.

You might get lucky and find some inexpensive ones that do everything you need....or you might buy several cheap ones and never be satisfied....like I did for a while.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Seconding the HD280.  A buddy of mine has a set that he uses for his computer-music-recording setup.  They are fantastic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+3

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I had three Plantronics Audio 90's that kicked ASS!!!

They sounded so good. One thing I like a lot was the fact that they didn't block much outside noise. That way my wife or kids couldn't easily sneak up on my and tap my on the shoulder and scare me to death

I need another pair but I'm sure they have not been made in a few years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top