Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2014 5:43:00 PM EDT
I've played one of these: http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/BX500

I really liked it. I might sell some of my gear to get one. However, I'm not entirely sure if I want to do that or not.

I am a big fan of clarity in my bass tone. I hate farty sounding bass. It needs to sound bell like. I have a bass guitar that gives me that, but now that my old head has broken (it vibrated off of the stack it was on at band practice the other night... new practice place means more vibrations ) I'm looking at something similar.

Alternatively, it was only my preamp that broke. My poweramp is fine and it sounds 'ok' but it's missing some of the EQ elements I enjoy.

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Is your bass head solid state or tube? I ask because a tube amp would be relatively easy to repair.

Also, I've been seeing some of the older '90s Hartke bass heads come up for sale now & then for around $300. An old friend had one back in the day and it was a great sounding amp.

ETA: Another thing, since your poweramp section still works, a Sans Amp, MXR, and Behringer all make pedals that would work well for that too.

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 3:51:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm still loving my BBE BMax.  I've had friends that really liked their Tech 21 Sansamps, too.  It's pretty inexpensive to get either of these, relative to buying an entire integrated head.  And when you're set in the future, you can simply drop in the planet-destroying, super-badass power amp of your choice and proceed to decimating your band's guitarists.  

Integrated heads are good for practice spaces, though, I guess...  

That being said, the Carvin looks to have an awesome EQ section, and is very reasonably-priced.  The down-side... unless you know someone with one, you can't really play one, to see if you like it or not.  That's worth a lot to some people, myself included.

What kind of amp was this?
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 8:11:49 PM EDT
[#3]
It was a BBE Bmax. I like it just fine, it's just it's discontinued and broken to all fuck. I took it apart today and the board is cracked along with several pots.

I really don't like the way most bass gear sounds. Very lifeless and unlike how the instrument sounds when played by itself. I like to hear brightness.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 5:49:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm a gear head. I have played through tons of chit over the last 40 years and have yet to find anything that has move be to replace the  preamp section in my gig rig I bought in 1992. That piece of gear: http://www.alembic.com/prod/f1x.html

Over twenty years later I still think it's the chit. While I have changed cabs and power sections.

I will never own another integrated section except for practice set ups. Currently that choice is a Trace Elliot combo

Good luck in your search

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I decided on the BX1500. Apparently they were out of stock and I received a free upgrade to the BX1600.

Score!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top