Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2014 4:00:52 PM EDT
So.......for the last few years I've been wanting to get a fuller, more robust tone from my neck pickup.  The guitar is a 1989 Gibson SG Custom Elite  and I'm running her through a 1974 Fender Super Reverb. The SG still retains the stock pickups which are "spotlight" humbuckers and the guitar has a factory coil tap switch.  I had the output measured on the pickups and I was slightly surprised at the readings.  The neck pickup reads 7.1/3.6 khz and the bridge is 13/6.7khz!!!  The bridge pickup is pure bad ass tone and I can't imagine her sounding better but anything is possible.  For the neck pickup I'm contemplating the Seymore Duncan Seth Lover PAF, a Gibson 57 reissue or (and I"m really leaning in this direction) a Lindy Fralin "Unbucker" which is designed for coil splitting with an output of 9.5k. Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?  Here are some pictures of the rig.

Link Posted: 1/16/2014 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Seymour Duncan Jazz.   It's the best sounding neck pickup I've yet tried short of a matched pair of Lollar Imperials.

Link Posted: 1/16/2014 5:41:53 PM EDT
[#2]
The Seth is a good choice if you're after a good ol' paf tone, but if you want a paf type with some snot and raunch, have a look at a Pearly Gates, Alnico II Pro, or an Alnico II Pro Slash model. I've also been hearing good things about the Whole Lotta Humbucker pups. Good enough that I'm considering a set for myself.

The Gibson Burstbucker line is also worth mentioning. I have a 1 & 2 set in my Explorer and they sound good. I've heard that they're very similar to the Fralin Unbucker, in that both have slightly unbalanced coils, but I've never heard any of the Fralins, so I can't say for sure.

But overall, if I could only have one neck pickup, it would be a Pearly Gates.

Link Posted: 1/16/2014 5:46:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input so far.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#4]
LINDY!!! and the Fender Reverb is one of my favorite sounding amps. That and a Plexi and I would be in tone nirvana.

ETA: Sweet guitar too.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 5:45:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Have a look at porter pickups
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 6:11:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LINDY!!! and the Fender Reverb is one of my favorite sounding amps. That and a Plexi and I would be in tone nirvana.

View Quote

Seems like this is the way I'm leaning after listenig to some of the youtube videos and after speaking with Lindy.  While I like the unbucker I may go with the overwound high output humbucker by them.  My problem with the SG as it is now is that it's too quiet with the coils split so more output is essential when they are split.  Thanks for the compliment as well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 6:31:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Seems like this is the way I'm leaning after listenig to some of the youtube videos.  While I like the unbucker I may go with the overwound high output humbucker by them.  My problem with the SG as it is now is that it's too quiet with the coils split so more output is essential when they are split.  Thanks for the compliment as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems like this is the way I'm leaning after listenig to some of the youtube videos.  While I like the unbucker I may go with the overwound high output humbucker by them.  My problem with the SG as it is now is that it's too quiet with the coils split so more output is essential when they are split.  Thanks for the compliment as well.

You could rewire the push/pulls (assuming that's what you have) to change from series to parallel, rather than rather than series to single. This would keep the output up, although it would make the pickups sound more like a P-90 rather than a normal single coil when you pull them up, which could be a good thing if you like P-90s.

Here's a chart that will help you translate the wire colors: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=color_codes
And here's the page I got the above links from, they have alot of different diagrams to choose from: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=color_codes

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 7:08:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know a thing about p/u's, but just wanted to say that that combo looks awesome!
I always wanted an SG.... and a Super Reverb as well
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 5:18:25 PM EDT
[#9]
If you'd be interested in higher output pickups then you should definitely consider high wound Lollar Imperials

I put them into one guitar I made for a friend and that is one beefy sounding axe.   Those pickups cost me 357 dollars for the pair

but I'd gladly do that again.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you'd be interested in higher output pickups then you should definitely consider high wound Lollar Imperials

I put them into one guitar I made for a friend and that is one beefy sounding axe.   Those pickups cost me 357 dollars for the pair
but I'd gladly do that again.
View Quote

I'll check them out!
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 7:17:35 AM EDT
[#11]
The Burstbuckers are nice, but the Pro version in my LP Standard is really bright. If you are interested in staying with Gibson p/u, something like the 57 Classic might be better in the neck.  It sounds very nice in my LP. For a lower price point, the Seymour Duncan Jazz that someone mentioned would be worth checking out.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#12]
So I settled (about a month ago) on a Lindy Fralin High output humbucker (12k) and it sounds amazing!!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So I settled (about a month ago) on a Lindy Fralin High output humbucker (12k) and it sounds amazing!!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 4:02:12 PM EDT
[#14]
If you can find a Dimarzio Virtual PAF, then that's what I would get.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top