Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/18/2017 6:07:50 PM EDT
Apply now. Latest selections for WOFT have been 100%.

Yes, 100%.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:10:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Any bonuses for coming back from retirement?. Edit: how could it possibly be 100?? Not many applicants? Used to be there'd be hundreds each time....
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#2]
The average civilian board is only 12-18. Last board was 16/16.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:24:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I got out in '95 and I'm a little shy of 50. I wanna fly an Apache and blow shit up. Can I get vet preference? 
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I would drop a packet but I am a 14 year NCO and 40 years old.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:34:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would drop a packet but I am a 14 year NCO and 40 years old.
View Quote
You can get anything waved. Lol
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:53:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Any bonuses for coming back from retirement?. Edit: how could it possibly be 100?? Not many applicants? Used to be there'd be hundreds each time....
View Quote
There was a limited retiree recall not too long ago. What airframe and what rank were you?

Crazy is the bind the Army put itself in to begin with. Jobs on the outside are rolling like crazy and uncle starting making grade and airframe corrections with a fucking axe instead of a scalpel. Typical.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a recall to active duty for 160th CH47 slots. Pretty soon for everything I bet.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm too old.

I'd love to follow in my Dad's footsteps and be an Army aviator, but unfortunately that time is long past.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#9]
That is simply incredible to me.    Why aren't more people applying?    

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.  Are saying that everyone who made it through to the board, got selected?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That is simply incredible to me.    Why aren't more people applying?    

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.  Are saying that everyone who made it through to the board, got selected?
View Quote
For the recent civilian monthly WOFT board, yes. Seriously.

The Army has 2 sources of candidates for the Warrant Officer pilot corps. Currently enlisted and people applying as civilians (WOFT).

WOFT rates are incredibly high right now.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#11]
God I wish I could do that.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Haven't looked into warrant officer at all, is WOFT something you can get guaranteed in a contract?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Haven't looked into warrant officer at all, is WOFT something you can get guaranteed in a contract?
View Quote
Yes, it is. The Warrant Officer Flight Training program has been around since Vietnam.

Details on the requirements
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#14]
What is the process for a high school graduate?  An 18yo.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Honestly?

Go to the nearest recruiter and say you are interested in the WOFT program. There will be a LOT of pushback. Dont fall for the "its better to enlist" thing. The link I posted above lists the requirements.

You will need a good ASVAB score. A good SIFT score. Pass the flight physical. Pass an APFT. Pass a board.

All doable.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes, it is. The Warrant Officer Flight Training program has been around since Vietnam.

View Quote
One of the guys I work with was a Huey captain in Vietnam at 19yo.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:29:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I completed my WOFT application process during the fall of my senior year of high school.  I was notified that I was selected in late February.  I did my initial processing for delayed entry in March, graduated high school in June and left for basic training in August.

That was in 1986.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:08:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What is the process for a high school graduate?  An 18yo.
View Quote
Man up, walk into a recruiting office, and tell them what you want.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:45:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Man up, walk into a recruiting office, and tell them what you want.
View Quote
Easy there Tommy Toughnuts. The kid is asking for guidance which is commendable. If you've ever had experience with a military recruiter then you know they lie.

Having more information before you begin is foundational to developing good SA.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:03:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Before anymore purse swinging, I'll note that the member that asked the question about how the process starts for a 18 year old has an account date from 2003.

I doubt they're asking for themselves and the process for street to seat does start at the recruiter.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:05:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Im putting together my packet currently. 
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#22]
When I applied in 1980 for a CAS slot with the Iowa Army Guard, the state only got about six total pilots slots a year. It was very competitive even then. The active duty side was getting 600 applicants for every opening nationwide.

How times change.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Tempting.  4,500+ hours rotor.  Wife would kill me.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:37:17 AM EDT
[#24]
I tried back in 79, but an X-ray showed my spine was shaped like an S, so they rejected me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:39:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Before anymore purse swinging, I'll note that the member that asked the question about how the process starts for a 18 year old has an account date from 2003.

I doubt they're asking for themselves and the process for street to seat does start at the recruiter.
View Quote
And in 2003 I was too old...
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#26]
What are the chances for someone that training sepped for scoliosis in '85 from the Corps?

Nick
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:48:55 AM EDT
[#27]
If it's any indication I'm 6 mo out of flight school and a assault helicopter Co Commander. I'm an O-3 transfer from a different branch... One of my best friends (a freshly made CW2) made fun of me for it until he took command of his 64E Co right out of flight school.

The Army is hurting for pilots right now.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not sure if it's the same thing or not, but when my grandfather joined the Army Air Forces in ww2 as an already certificated civilian pilot, they brought him on as a warrant officer. That's about all I know about how he joined up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If it's any indication I'm 6 mo out of flight school and a assault helicopter Co Commander. I'm an O-3 transfer from a different branch... One of my best friends (a freshly made CW2) made fun of me for it until he took command of his 64E Co right out of flight school.

The Army is hurting for pilots right now.
View Quote
Are most of the Army pilots ETSing and transitioning over to Fixed wing Airline jobs, or are there enough Rotory wing jobs to create that kind of turnover?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Are most of the Army pilots ETSing and transitioning over to Fixed wing Airline jobs, or are there enough Rotory wing jobs to create that kind of turnover?
View Quote
Multiple facets to the problem, though it  mainly stems from not assessing enough pilots a few years ago when budgets got really tight and the Army was shrinking rapidly.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Are most of the Army pilots ETSing and transitioning over to Fixed wing Airline jobs, or are there enough Rotary wing jobs to create that kind of turnover?
View Quote
Its actually very uncommon for CWO pilots to UQR. Most have a good 6-12 years of enlisted time under their belts, so by the time their 6 year commitment is up from flight school, they are too close to retirement age to leave.

Really the only pilots I know of that leave after their commitments are up are regular commissioned guys and dudes that were street to seat.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link forwarded to my 17 year old stepson. He's very interested in the WOFT program.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#33]
If you have a P2 for running, can you pass the flight physical? I can still run, and still take the three-event APFT, but it is "at own pace and distance after 2 miles".
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
God I wish I could do that.
View Quote
Me too. Too old and too out of shape +glasses.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If you have a P2 for running, can you pass the flight physical? I can still run, and still take the three-event APFT, but it is "at own pace and distance after 2 miles".
View Quote
Yes. Most of us dont run anymore
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Can you come in as a guardsman or reservist as a pilot, ie. directly off the street civilian to NG/Reserve?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Can you come in as a guardsman or reservist as a pilot, ie. directly off the street civilian to NG/Reserve?
View Quote
That I dont know. If you are rated already, Im sure its a different process. I would try to talk to a NG or Reserve recruiter...
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Apply now. Latest selections for WOFT have been 100%.

Yes, 100%.
View Quote

I have been in the military for 16+ years, 5 years as an enlisted guy and 11+ as a pilot.  When something that is usually a selective process, is suddenly not so selective, it's usually for a reason...
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:55:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I have been in the military for 16+ years, 5 years as an enlisted guy and 11+ as a pilot.  When something that is usually a selective process, is suddenly not so selective, it's usually for a reason...
View Quote
Its always been similar. When I was selected in 2010, it was 10/12 for the month.

The problem with the army is that no one knows we have a few thousand aircraft that need to be flown.

But sure, the job has shit parts, just like flying for every single branch (except the coast guard)
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:56:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:That I dont know. If you are rated already, Im sure its a different process. I would try to talk to a NG or Reserve recruiter...
View Quote
Asking for a friend who's not rated already.  Enlisted as a Marine then got out and went to school.  Double majored in Biology and Biochemistry.  Works in a lab for a day job.  He's been taking private flying lessons.   He'd love to fly part time in the Guard/Reserves.  I know the AF will commission you right into the guard or reserve as a pilot.  The Navy will not.  Didn't know about the Army.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:54:10 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote
If I had a "way back" machine...
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:10:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Darn if I was a little younger and not making the kind of money flying that I am now I'd jump on it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
There is a recall to active duty for 160th CH47 slots. Pretty soon for everything I bet.
View Quote
That's a clue if the 160th is having trouble finding people who even want to fly.

The same kind of clue that the Air Force is getting from running out of fighter pilots.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:23:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That's a clue if the 160th is having trouble finding people who even want to fly.

The same kind of clue that the Air Force is getting from running out of fighter pilots.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 160th being short 47 guys is not new.  They've routinely been short 47 guys for decades.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
TF is always short 47 guys. Always.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#47]
I served with a guy that's a Little bird pilot for the 160th now. 

He was an Ariel Observer back in the day (I wish my recruiter would have told me about that MOS before I joined up).  He's all growed up CWO now.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm going to jump in and echo CFII's post.  If you, or someone you know, wants to be an Army Aviation Warrant Officer, now is the time to start applying!

Aviation Branch is short something like 400-500 pilots.  Fort Rucker is planning on increasing the training load for the next three years to play catch-up.

Part of the problem is more commissioned and warrant officers are leaving the Army than they planned on, but also has to do with the fact that they gave a bunch of OH-58D drivers pink slips and said thank you for your service instead of giving them all AH-64E transitions and moving them to the new ARS formations.

That being said, Uncle Sam wants YOU to come fly his helicopters!
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You can get anything waved. Lol
View Quote
I wish I could get my color deficiency waived. Stupid Ishihara Plate Test. (I failed the Farnsworth Lantern Test too)
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm going to jump in and echo CFII's post.  If you, or someone you know, wants to be an Army Aviation Warrant Officer, now is the time to start applying!

Aviation Branch is short something like 400-500 pilots.  Fort Rucker is planning on increasing the training load for the next three years to play catch-up.

Part of the problem is more commissioned and warrant officers are leaving the Army than they planned on, but also has to do with the fact that they gave a bunch of OH-58D drivers pink slips and said thank you for your service instead of giving them all AH-64E transitions and moving them to the new ARS formations.

That being said, Uncle Sam wants YOU to come fly his helicopters!
View Quote
Yeah, that was dumb as shit.

They did the same thing on the maintenance side, as well. They ramped up the recruiting of the 15J MOS to facilitate the transfer of 15J to 15E (UAV Maintainer). Unfortunately, when they started offering 15E at MEPS, they were still heavily recruiting 15Js. For the last few years, promotions were essentially frozen for 15Js trying to make SGT and SSG. They offered a transfer to 15Y (Apache Armament) and 15R (Apache Maintenance), but for some reason they were REALLY picky. Out of 40 15Js in my section, I think one or two of them were selected. All of the rest either got orders to Ft. Bragg (last of the OH58s were there) and/or got a consolation prize and "thanks for playing Army". Now TRADOC is trying to push through an additional 1800 AIT students across all three airframes (on top of the normal student load) next fiscal year.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top