Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2017 1:42:05 PM EDT
Lightspeed headset isn't working so great. I can hear but the mic is intermittent and something is going on with the noise cancellation. Called light speed and they don't have to parts to fix the problem at the moment.

I can get $150 trade in credit for my head set right now but i'm not sure if I should look at another brand such as Bose or DC.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:48:12 PM EDT
[#1]
What headset do you have? I recently bought a Zulu 3 and my dad bought an A20. Both appear to work well, i find the Zulu to be more comfortable. Bluetooth functionality is a bit more seamless with the A20. I don't hear anyone talking about current DC's. The debate seems to be Lightspeed/Bose.

Upgraded from old peltors retrofitted with gel seals from the tactical muffs.

ETA: forgot something
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:53:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Twenty 3g's. Bought it back in 2005/2006 so they're definitely old but have held up until yesterday.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:19:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Just ordered the Bose A20. Working on my CFI still and building hours I figured it was a good investment.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:28:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just ordered the Bose A20. Working on my CFI still and building hours I figured it was a good investment.
View Quote
Nice. You can't go wrong with either. It is an investment for sure. I am just a passenger for now but plan on starting lessons in the next year or so.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been pretty happy with my A20s
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:32:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got Bose X, A20, and Zulu 3.  IMO, the Zulu 3 is hands down the best.  The others aren't even close.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I normally fly with a Clarity Aloft CEP type headset. I use them for helicopter flying. They are by far the most comfortable things I've ever worn. With the correct size eartips they are just as quiet at ANR headsets. I even fly them with the doors off no problem. The only downside is that they take more than 3 seconds to put on, since you have to insert the eartips.

I recently bought my wife a DC One X. I chose the DC's over the Bose or Lightspeed primarily because, with the Bose/Lemo/Redel plugs on them and a GA or U174 adapter you can run them on batteries OR of aircraft power, and the batteries back up the aircraft power. They are a universal headset. The Bose and Lightspeeds can't do that. The DC's are also clearly far more rugged. I flew with them a few times and, while they are just a tiny bit heavier and a tiny bit noisier than the other two, the difference is really not big deal, and the extra hinge near the earcup makes up for that with a much better fit. In fact, with the ANR off, they were quiet enough by themselves to get the job done.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I normally fly with a Clarity Aloft CEP type headset. I use them for helicopter flying. They are by far the most comfortable things I've ever worn. With the correct size eartips they are just as quiet at ANR headsets. I even fly them with the doors off no problem. The only downside is that they take more than 3 seconds to put on, since you have to insert the eartips.

I recently bought my wife a DC One X. I chose the DC's over the Bose or Lightspeed primarily because, with the Bose/Lemo/Redel plugs on them and a GA or U174 adapter you can run them on batteries OR of aircraft power, and the batteries back up the aircraft power. They are a universal headset. The Bose and Lightspeeds can't do that. The DC's are also clearly far more rugged. I flew with them a few times and, while they are just a tiny bit heavier and a tiny bit noisier than the other two, the difference is really not big deal, and the extra hinge near the earcup makes up for that with a much better fit. In fact, with the ANR off, they were quiet enough by themselves to get the job done.
View Quote
I will say with ANR turned off passive noise reduction is awful compared to my peltors with either the Bose or Lightspeed. Lightspeed edges over the bose in passive only.

Carry spare batteries
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#9]
We just recently evaluated the Bose, LIghtspeed z, and the david clark anrs.  We don't have much/any engine noise just air noise on the windscreen.  The Bose won hands down...they get a little clampy after a couple of hours but the noise canceling is great.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We just recently evaluated the Bose, LIghtspeed z, and the david clark anrs.  We don't have much/any engine noise just air noise on the windscreen.  The Bose won hands down...they get a little clampy after a couple of hours but the noise canceling is great.
View Quote
This is why I prefer the Lightspeeds over the Bose.  The Bose noise cancelling is marginally better, but IMO not hugely so.  But, the clamp factor gives me a headache.  I much prefer the clamping force of the Zulu 3's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top