Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2017 2:34:23 PM EDT
As a plane geek I love Flightradar24, Flightaware, ABS-B Exchange, etc.  I even host a receiver and share data to these sites.

But a war is brewing.  Wealthy people's feathers are getting ruffled by this as they realize their private planes can be tracked pretty much anywhere.  Often citing corporate espionage scenarios or just because I want to be anonymous (eg: stalking).

I understand the wish for privacy, but on the other hand you're using a taxpayer/public funded system.  Even when out in our cars we know there's plate readers logging data...although no one seems to care enough to compile that data and share it on the internet (as far as I know anyway).  Figure if you really want to travel under the radar your best bet is to take the bus using a fake name.  

For the longest time everything in aviation has been public info.  You can search a licensed pilot's name in the FAA database and get their address, ratings, and date of their last medical exam.  Type in an N# for any plane and get all the info on it.  Think these days are numbered?
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#1]
It's been blockable since the beginning.   That's how those companies make money.   Provide a service to stalkers, then provide a way to block said stalkers.   .   It's a solid Business model.  

I'd like to see the Fed adopt some reasonable privacy laws, wouldn't count on it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#2]
You can only get my address if I allow it. You can also only get the address of the corporation that my aircraft is registered to...there is a reason so many are registered in Delaware.

A war is brewing!?  Not hardly.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Pilot records are somewhat blockable......you can see my name and certificates.  Not the address or anything else.  I blocked all that 15+ yrs ago.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Tell me more about your taxpayer standing claim to my company's proprietary data.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:09:08 PM EDT
[#5]
You aren't tracking my plane.  Heck I can't track my plane.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:42:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can only get my address if I allow it. You can also only get the address of the corporation that my aircraft is registered to...there is a reason so many are registered in Delaware.

A war is brewing!?  Not hardly.
View Quote
Delaware and Salt Lake City, Utah. Ours are all registered under different trusts in Utah
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pilot records are somewhat blockable......you can see my name and certificates.  Not the address or anything else.  I blocked all that 15+ yrs ago.
View Quote
How do you block it?
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:06:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How do you block it?
View Quote
There was a form on the airmen registry faa site......you just print it out, sign it, and mail it to Oklahoma City
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#10]
[b]
There was a form on the airmen registry faa site......you just print it out, sign it, and mail it to Oklahoma City
View Quote
I imagine if you block your address you'll stop getting random King Schools, Sporty's, and "Get your instrument rating in 4 days" mailings?
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I imagine if you block your address you'll stop getting random King Schools, Sporty's, and "Get your instrument rating in 4 days" mailings?
View Quote
And all the "please come be our FO" postcards from the regionals.

Here is the URL for removing your address.

Change FAA Releaseability
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top