Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2017 12:13:36 PM EDT
I think I'm going to break down and buy an ipad for use as an EFB. I won't use it much, and most likely won't use it for anything other than an EFB. Which model would you all recommend?  I assume I can easily get away with the smaller memory version (16gb, I think) since I won't be using it for much else.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the mini. I have the one that's the generation before the one with the fingerprint sensor and has the LTE modem. That one has GPS built-in. Prior to that, I had the regular size iPad and found it difficult to handle and at night, even with the brightness all the way down, it still was a major source of light inside the aircraft.

I'm not a fan of the Stratus 2. Do the Raspberry Pi Stratux setup for a fraction of the price. I don't know if they have the attitude sensing working on it yet, but you can get your dual band traffic and ADS-B weather and it will work as your GPS if you don't want to spend the money for the iPad with cellular data.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a Mini 4 cellular/gps model with 128gb.

I bought it in May of 2016.  It was pricey.  I do not regret buying it for even a second.  I use it for everything.  I'm typing on it right now.

If I were to buy one exclusively for in cockpit use, I'd get the same model in 64 gb.  

Everyone I know that has less than the 64gb is always worried about what they can and can not keep on their iPad.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, macrumors and slickdeals are a good place to watch for prices. https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/ipad-mini/ (left cold intentionally)

I got banned from macrumors for correcting a factual inaccuracy regarding firearms on one of their forums.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I used a mini when I went through all of my training, we use mini's at work. Contract job they used ipad 2/air whichever it was. I prefer the mini, get the largest memory capacity you can afford.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#5]
We use the ipad air.  Get the largest memory you can afford.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I use a mini. Its got every pub I can find on it, and its very useful.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:03:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Mini user here.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I was just issued an iPad Pro 128gb. Our previous one was an iPad Air 32gb.
I've also used a mini off and on in our plane, and prefer the full sized.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Whichever one the company gives you ??
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd grab a mini with GPS, if I was going to use it on a kneeboard.  I do that, and it works.

Full sized w/GPS if you have a mount and plenty of space.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top