Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2017 5:12:27 PM EDT
Kinda reminds me of the all tackfucked tac tactical AR15

I'm sure there's a good reason for everything, like kicking ass...
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Stupid post, but...thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#2]
It's an old airplane now.  Old airplanes end up with stuff they weren't originally designed to use bolted onto them.

Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Mostly extra fuel capacity.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
What did the Israelis do to that poor F-16?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:26:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
specific upgrayyed
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Like I said, I'm sure it added a whole lot more hate and death. It just looks tac-fucked.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://s2.ifotos.pl/img/1200px-RS_seeeahq.jpg

View Quote

I want conformals
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
specific upgrayyed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
specific upgrayyed
lol, I initially misread your comment as "upgayed."    It's a long way to Tehran and back.

I'm not a pilot so help me out, that Sufa has: Amraams, sidewinders, GBUs, 2x 600gal, a 370gal, CFTs, SAR & LANTIRN?  Geeeeezus...
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Power to weight ratio must be shot to hell.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#12]
It's come a long way from the original concept of one big engine, a gun, and a couple of Sidewinders. . .
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#13]
What is the flaired out section on either side between the cockpit and wing?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What is the flaired out section on either side between the cockpit and wing?
View Quote
Conformal Fuel Tanks.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
lol, I initially misread your comment as "upgayed."    It's a long way to Tehran and back.

I'm not a pilot so help me out, that Sufa has: Amraams, sidewinders, GBUs, 2x 600gal, a 370gal, CFTs, SAR & LANTIRN?  Geeeeezus...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
specific upgrayyed

and the biggest complaint is that it's not as pretty anymore
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Conformal Fuel Tanks.
View Quote
Ok thanks.

Wonder if they used them when they struck the Iraqi Nuke Plant in 1981?

Guess they need them to stretch their legs.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:10:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ok thanks.

View Quote
No, were not around then.

The wing tanks on the OP post appear to be 370s not 600s and the centerline tank is a 300.  

The USAF does not use CFTs because of our tanker fleet.  The IAF are the kings of TAPCO F16s but their shit works unlike TAPCO.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The wing tanks on the OP post appear to be 370s not 600s and the centerline tank is a 300.  

The USAF does not use CFTs because of our tanker fleet.  The IAF are the kings of TAPCO F16s but their shit works unlike TAPCO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok thanks.

more FAB Defense, less Tapco
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok thanks.

Good article
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I want conformals
View Quote
It's almost criminal the AF won't buy them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ok thanks.

View Quote
No, they even had to strip the guns to make that one. Kind of a Doolittle type thing.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:48:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Would love to know what John Boyd's reaction to that picture would be if he were still alive.

I'm sure it would be humorous.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Would love to know what John Boyd's reaction to that picture would be if he were still alive.

I'm sure it would be humorous.  
View Quote
But if you showed him an F-16 with CFTS and wall to wall AIM-120s and Sidewinders, he would approve.  Well, maybe CFTs, wall to wall A/A missiles and a centerline fuel tank, since they can't haul more A/A weapons on that station.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:22:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Looks good to me!!

i wonder if the poles ir UAE'ians think.

god bless the Israelis?

Link Posted: 6/27/2017 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's come a long way from the original concept of one big engine, a gun, and a couple of Sidewinders. . .
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/dam/assets/170531043908-1975-paris-air-show-usaf-f16-780x439.jpg
View Quote
The USAF has never used it for what it was designed for.

The closest the US military has ever come to using the F-16 as a daytime dogfighter is in the Aggressor Squadrons, and even then, it serves more in a BVR role simulating MiG-29 and Su-27 flight performance and electronic emissions.

Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:17:28 PM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/dam/assets/170531043908-1975-paris-air-show-usaf-f16-780x439.jpg
The USAF has never used it for what it was designed for.

The closest the US military has ever come to using the F-16 as a daytime dogfighter is in the Aggressor Squadrons, and even then, it serves more in a BVR role simulating MiG-29 and Su-27 flight performance and electronic emissions.

https://theaviationist.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/F-16N-Giovanni-Colla.jpg

http://www.f-16.net/g3/var/resizes/f-16-photos/album38/album64/86-0272_001.jpg?m=1371896280

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7610/16823580556_d222cfb17c_b.jpg

http://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/?q=60&url=https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fthe-drive-staging%2Fmessage-editor%252F1490727981427-mndm1.jpg

http://img00.deviantart.net/38a1/i/2015/018/d/7/aggressors_f_16_by_airshowdave-d8eg4yu.jpg
The long since-retired Navy Aggressor F-16Ns might have offered the hottest ride of the bunch. No cannon, no jammer, plus it used the GE F110 (17K lbs dry / >28K lbs thrust in afterburner) engine, versus the -220 version of the PW F100 then offered (14K lbs dry / <24K lbs thrust in afterburner). Unfortunately, because of their role (and all that power) they ended up getting retired relatively early when those airframes developed bulkhead cracks.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want conformals
The USAF wasn't so keen to the F-16 from the start, especially as the bomber mafia still held Chief of Staff until 1982, but were looking for something to replace the F-4 as the F-4 aged.  The F-15 was already a done deal for the specific interceptor mission and not a pound for air-to-ground on the A-D models, leaving the F-4's multirole capability open for something else to fill in.

As the F-4 was retired, the F-16 fulfilled that multirole attack aircraft, especially after its performance at Gunsmoke in 1983 (1st, 2nd, 4th Places), with aerial fighting as a distant secondary possibility if F-15s would leave anything after the brutal slaying in MIG CAP.  That was the year after a fighter pilot, General Gabriel, took over Chief of Staff.  He cut his teeth in F-51s and F-86s in Korea with 2 MiG-15 kills, as well as 152 combat missions in F-4s in Vietnam.

The F-15 crowd worked hard to dominate the A2A role and were almost 100% successful, minus a few exceptions during the no-fly zone over Iraq in 1992 and 1993, as well as a few Serbian J-21s in the Banja Luka Incident of 1994.  Shooting down J-21s with an F-16C Block 40 using AIM-120s and AIM-9Ms is like Conor McGregor snorting a little blow, then winning a UFC match against kids with special needs by punching them in the back of the head with sap gloves while they try to run from him.  Poor suckers didn't stand a chance.

The F-16CJ also replaced the F-4G Wild Weasel for the SEAD mission, which it isn't really suited for, but good pilots and mods to the aircraft made it work with a lot of success.  The CFTs would be great for -16CJs, opening up more wing stations for HARMs, but something like the F-35 will take the Wild Weasel mission to a new level.  Not sure what they have cooking for HARM integration with F-35, but SDBs and JDAMs work too, even after SAM stations shut down emissions.

My suspicion is that the USAF doesn't want to spend another dime over the bare minimum that they can get away with on maintaining the F-16, since the focus is on the F-35, so not even CFTs will be bought for the newer production block 50/52 -16s.

We're basically in the same position we were in during the 1980s, where nostalgia for the F-4 had some people demanding upgraded engines, avionics, and weapons for the F-4E, even though the US production line ended in 1979.  The difference is the F-16 is still in production, but only for FMS and in foreign countries who are licensed.  The most advanced F-16s are going to UAE, with better engined and avionics than anything we've used ourselves, and at $200 million per airframe/engine/avionics package.

Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:13:08 PM EDT
[#28]

What's the base of the vert fin?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
http://s2.ifotos.pl/img/1200px-RS_seeeahq.jpg

View Quote

What's the G limit with all that shit hanging off of it?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:09:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bfa6FEbIEAEyGic.jpg

View Quote
A subwoofer? j/k

I was wondering if it's maybe an APU?
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#31]
https://i.imgur.com/RHx1wQ6.gifv
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
embedded....

I lived in Caracas during that coup attempt and got to see that in person. Along with another one that was shot down, among other cool shit lol.

Watching an F-16 do a supersonic pass through a valley full of glass buildings is something to behold!
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:10:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

hot link since I can't get it to embed.

I lived in Caracas during that coup attempt and got to see that in person. Along with another one that was shot down, among other cool shit lol.

Watching an F-16 do a supersonic pass through a valley full of glass buildings is something to behold!
View Quote
Clubbing a baby seal. Armed viper vs OV-10, will never end well.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:23:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Clubbing a baby seal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

hot link since I can't get it to embed.

Clubbing a baby seal.
Pretty much LOL.  The F-16 in that video sure looked like he was in a low energy state trying to stay behind that Bronco.

Of course what I'm about to say is through the eyes of a kid who loved airplanes but obviously wasn't flying them (and I just fly airliners now). The OV-10s were hanging pretty low over the city with the reasoning (I assumed) that the F-16s didn't want to shoot them down and have them come down in the city.  One OV-10 slid up close to my apt building and an F-16 opened up with his 20mm. I distinctly remember seeing the smoke come off the left side behind the cockpit followed a few seconds later of a very loud rip. He didn't hit the Bronco, or at least didn't down it. You could see all the shit kicked up from the rounds hitting the forest behind my apt.

The OV-10s spent a lot of time flying very low. I could see the pilots in the cockpits (actually only one in each that I saw, the back seats were empty).  One was eventually waxed by that F-16 in the video and another was hit by ground fire and crashed onto an airport that's in the middle of the city, about a mile away.  That crash and the F-16's sonic boom are probably the two loudest things I've heard in my life. It was spectacular to witness.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:46:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bfa6FEbIEAEyGic.jpg

View Quote
More room for avionics.  This was the biggest external visible change from the A/B to the C/D models.

On the E/F, there's an additional air scoop on the starboard side, with some other structure on the port.

I vaguely recall discussion of ASPJ avionics back there planned many years ago, but can't say for sure.

These also have AESA, IRST, CFTs, new cockpit, 32,000lb thrust capable F110 GE-132 engine, and a 1,025 mile combat radius capability, which is pretty game-changing for the F-16.  Would have been nice to have CFTs back in the day.

Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:35:57 AM EDT
[#36]
For less than $200M per jet and all the ancillary items I could get lots of F-15SAs that would outperform the Super F-16 in every respect, save one...I trust Lockheed to build a better (i.e. conforming to contract specs and quality standards) aircraft.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
For less than $200M per jet and all the ancillary items I could get lots of F-15SAs that would outperform the Super F-16 in every respect, save one...I trust Lockheed to build a better (i.e. conforming to contract specs and quality standards) aircraft.
View Quote
F-15SA has the same relevant systems and components, plus more material, labor time, and 2 F-110- GE-129 engines.

I'm thinking the order would have to be pretty large to bring the price down.

The F-15SA's AESA has a much higher module count, among other systems to support the capability of that antennae and power, so it should cost more.

It also has 2 x Helmet Mounted Displays for both Pilot and WSO, as well as IRST.

I don't think the math would work out comparing same order sizes in the Eagle's favor.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:21:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

F-15SA has the same relevant systems and components, plus more material, labor time, and 2 F-110- GE-129 engines.

I'm thinking the order would have to be pretty large to bring the price down.

The F-15SA's AESA has a much higher module count, among other systems to support the capability of that antennae and power, so it should cost more.

It also has 2 x Helmet Mounted Displays for both Pilot and WSO, as well as IRST.

I don't think the math would work out comparing same order sizes in the Eagle's favor.
View Quote
Boeing is desperate for orders to keep the F-15 line viable.  They are more than willing to take a hit on prices.  

F-15SAs, even with all that equipment and support stuff, come in under $200M an A/C.  At that price I would rather take a out of spec Eagle vs. a Super-Viper if I was a FMS customer who couldn't buy F-35.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#39]
A lot of countries seem to be wizening up to the reality that supporting 2 engine jets over the service life is a lot costlier than single engine.

I have no dog in the fight either way, just an observation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top