Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2017 7:03:21 PM EDT
Going into my 29th year of airline flying, I always swore to myself I wasn't going to chase money, or equipment.  After commuting for 10 years I was never, EVER, EVER going to commute again.

I must have hit my head or something, because I made a deal with the devil and took the first captain bid I could hold at my current shop.  I just signed up to commute to LGA, to be a couple from the bottom on reserve, on the 737.  And I was just starting to feel pretty comfortable in the airbus.

God help me, what have I done..
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:25:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Going into my 29th year of airline flying, I always swore to myself I wasn't going to chase money, or equipment.  After commuting for 10 years I was never, EVER, EVER going to commute again.

I must have hit my head or something, because I made a deal with the devil and took the first captain bid I could hold at my current shop.  I just signed up to commute to LGA, to be a couple from the bottom on reserve, on the 737.  And I was just starting to feel pretty comfortable in the airbus.

God help me, what have I done..
View Quote

Congrats. I think.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#2]
What airline? When do you turn 65? 
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#3]
That must have been a really bad fall. Better go see a doc.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:54:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Might want to get oxygen
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:06:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Congrats. I think.
View Quote
Thanks, I'm still trying to decide if I should be celebrating, or crying.  After the "lost decade" of US airline careers, it was just too much $$ to leave laying on the table.

I think the plan is for us just to move someplace that's an easy commute to NY.  Since my future is there or MIA, if I ever want any seniority.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Jeebus. Commuting to NYC to sit reserve one off the plug.

What other masochistic tendencies do you have?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:57:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Double A, I turned 50 this month.  I'm hoping to retire at 63, but we'll see how that works out.

Quoted:
Jeebus. Commuting to NYC to sit reserve one off the plug.

What other masochistic tendencies do you have?
Short call for the foreseeable future too  but someone has to be on the bottom, right?

I'd love to be the bottom WB fo in my current base, but sadly, I'm still thousands of numbers away from that.  Hell, I'm still thousands of numbers away from WB of in most of our bases.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:19:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Congratulations, I guess.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:25:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks, I'm still trying to decide if I should be celebrating, or crying.  After the "lost decade" of US airline careers, it was just too much $ to leave laying on the table.

I think the plan is for us just to move someplace that's an easy commute to NY.  Since my future is there or MIA, if I ever want any seniority.
View Quote
My career goal is to be the most senior FO on the most junior equipment at a major airline.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:57:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks, I'm still trying to decide if I should be celebrating, or crying.  After the "lost decade" of US airline careers, it was just too much $ to leave laying on the table.

View Quote
May I suggest northeast PA?  Lots of weekly commuters to New York City in my area.  We could use some more Arfcommers around here.

Not too far away from me there was a long-time Pan Am captain that had his own airfield and flew to work and back.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

May I suggest northeast PA?  Lots of weekly commuters to New York City in my area.  We could use some more Arfcommers around here.

Not too far away from me there was a long-time Pan Am captain that had his own airfield and flew to work and back.
View Quote
Actually, thats #1 in the running right now.  I know a lot of our guys that live in Bucks county.  I think we are going to wait and see how long it takes me to hold MIA.  Neither of us want to live in the winter anymore.  But we'll do whatever we need to, for the best QOL.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My career goal is to be the most senior FO on the most junior equipment at a major airline.
View Quote
I have a friend that did that with WN. Eventually he was forced to upgrade after passing on it for almost a decade.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been thinking of bidding out of the CRJ and onto the E175.  It would require a commute from SLC to BOI where we're opening a new domicile.  I'd hopefully move to BOI in a year or two.  17 years in the CRJ and I'm suffering from "boredom" you might say...   Not much more money,  a commute, and a lot more time away from home, but I'm still thinking about it.  I must be stupid.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've been thinking of bidding out of the CRJ and onto the E175.  It would require a commute from SLC to BOI where we're opening a new domicile.  I'd hopefully move to BOI in a year or two.  17 years in the CRJ and I'm suffering from "boredom" you might say...   Not much more money,  a commute, and a lot more time away from home, but I'm still thinking about it.  I must be stupid.
View Quote
I know how you feel, I used to get bored after a few years on an airplane.  This will be my 10th long tern training, and I'm kinda getting over the whole thing.  But I'd still be ready for a change after 17 years on the same airplane.  I flew with guys who had close to 20,000 hours on the MD80, I would have been on suicide watch after that long.

The only reason I bid captain was for the money.  It's literally a HUUGE raise.  At this point in my career, I couldn't leave the dollars laying on the table.  The commuting to reserve is gonna suck royally, but we'll make it work.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:23:48 PM EDT
[#15]
IMHO VNAV on the 73-8 sucked donkey dick.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:53:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I get to fly with my favorite FO.
I love international.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:28:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats. I think.

If you move and live anywhere near NYC you will spend all that extra money on increased cost of living.

Live someplace with hourly service and sit long call from home or drive from rural PA
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:52:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you move and live anywhere near NYC you will spend all that extra money on increased cost of living.

Live someplace with hourly service and sit long call from home or drive from rural PA
View Quote
That's the plan.  Actually the best case scenario is I get down to MIA, we pull chocks and move down there.  If things stay with historical norms, 6 months or so before I can hold that.  I'm afraid it's going to be at least that long before I can hold long call in LGA.  Plus neither of us really want to live anywhere that has real winter again.

The 73 is kind of a wild card over here now.  After the merger, not many of the long time bus people want anything to do with the Boeing, along with PBS forcing junior people to work every weekend and holiday, it's been going really junior.  I'm just hoping it stays that way.  Since if you look up junior in the dictionary, my picture is in there.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Understatement of the century.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:54:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I love international.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I love international.
I'd love it too, if only I could hold it  I'd be one hell of a food boy.

Quoted:
Quoted:
I think that's pretty much every VNAV flying today.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:45:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I know how you feel, I used to get bored after a few years on an airplane.  This will be my 10th long tern training, and I'm kinda getting over the whole thing.  But I'd still be ready for a change after 17 years on the same airplane.  I flew with guys who had close to 20,000 hours on the MD80, I would have been on suicide watch after that long.

The only reason I bid captain was for the money.  It's literally a HUUGE raise.  At this point in my career, I couldn't leave the dollars laying on the table.  The commuting to reserve is gonna suck royally, but we'll make it work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats on the upgrade!  I know you'll be spending a lot of time in LGA, but if you are going to be flying more out of EWR or can pull off the drive, there are a ton of pilots of various airlines living out in eastern PA. Taxes and laws are better than Jersey.  I live in the Lehigh Valley and it's 1:00-1:10 to EWR.  Going to LGA on a reserve call out might be rough, but if you'll eventually be a lineholder, it's something to think about.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:51:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Congrats on the left seat.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:35:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Congratulations.  

Give me a call or IM sometime, and I'll show you all around the MIA area.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love international.

Quoted:
Quoted:
It honestly isn't that bad, as long as you know the tricks, never trust it, and do your part.
It works good on the approaches, long as you remember "path" and set the m/a alt.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:49:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top