Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2017 12:06:36 PM EDT
The wife and I are taking a few days vacation in Las Vegas this summer. A friend who lives in Vegas has graciously offered to take us up in their plane for a flight over the canyon to Sedona for dinner one afternoon while we are there. While I don't know the model of the aircraft, they indicated it was a 4 seater so I'd assume a single engine, propeller driven, smaller model. My question for you folks are these:

If I want to offer to help with the costs of the flight, what would be a rough estimate of fuel and operations costs for a flight like that?

They have made no mention of me helping with the costs and I don't think they would, as I imagine they are offering it without strings, but I certainly feel better about pitching in my share. Would you, as a pilot be offended if someone in this situation offered to pitch in?

The dinner in Sedona would be on me in any case.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:15:08 PM EDT
[#1]
First of all, if he does not have a commercial rating, it is not legal for him to accept more than 50% of actual expenses.  

Beyond that, I would offer my personal view.  If it were me, I would be going flying, with or without you.  Taking passengers is a bonus.  Flying by yourself gets boring, and sharing the experience with others is the best.  Repay him some other way, if you feel that you must.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for your perspective. He is a professional pilot but I don't have any clue if he would have the appropriate ratings.

I will likely take it as a gift and look for some other way to give back.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First of all, if he does not have a commercial rating, it is not legal for him to accept more than 50% of actual expenses.  

Beyond that, I would offer my personal view.  If it were me, I would be going flying, with or without you.  Taking passengers is a bonus.  Flying by yourself gets boring, and sharing the experience with others is the best.  Repay him some other way, if you feel that you must.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, you could google the average fuel burn per hour for that model, then multiply it by the total flight time, times the fuel cost per gallon. Then multiply x 2, for a rough idea.  

So, 4 hour flight x 10 GPH, =  40 gal total fuel burn x $5 per gallon, $200.   Add another $200 for maintenance reserves, and you're in the ball park.    

Basically, if he will let you pay for the fuel, then that would be about half.   Roughly speaking.   Pay cash, if possible.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Offer to pay for the fuel at Sedona.

Whenever I take folks for a ride, I never expect any shared costs, but won't refuse if offered.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#6]
You're going to love KSEZ.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're going to love KSEZ.
View Quote
Yeah looks pretty neat. I hope we get to take the flight, it's one of the bigger things I'm looking forward to on our trip. Unfortunately a few details have cropped up that may have us change our plans.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 9:41:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I fly tours at Grand Canyon. It's a very regulated airspace and be sure he has an SFRA chart of it. "Flying in the purple," as we call it, is strictly forbidden. Keep a good mind of altitudes, too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top