Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2017 1:10:42 PM EDT
Hey all. I've been in the Army National Guard for about 9 years now. I started out as an Aircraft Electrician (15F) working on UH60s and CH47s and did that for about 3 years and a deployment. I'm now a Small Arms Repairman and I really miss the aviation world. Switching back to 15F probably won't happen, but I'll be getting out of the Army in a few years and I'm wanting to work on aircraft again on the civilian side. I'm now using my Post 9/11 GI Bill to go to Embry Riddle to get my AS degree in Aircraft Maintenance. After that, I'll decide between using the rest of my GI Bill to get an A&P license or proceed with a BS degree. My question is: is the degree path I'm on now useful towards getting a job in this field? I've only ever experienced this industry on the military side so I'm not familiar with what looks good to a civilian employer. I know the A&P license is a big thing, but I'd like to have a degree as well. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:21:28 PM EDT
[#1]
A&P is more important than college if you want to get paid to work on aircraft in the real world.  You should be able to get it with minimal cost unless you flushed everything you learned.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Long answer: No.

Aviation degrees aren't worth the money, especially not from Riddle.

If you want a degree get any bachelors degree that you can use as a backup in case you decide you hate aviation.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:51:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Agree with the guys.  Get college degree and A&P.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:12:06 AM EDT
[#4]
A&P
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:52:40 AM EDT
[#5]
A&P is more important however if you want to move off the shop floor or .gov (FAA) the degree will go far
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:18:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:24:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Well crap. The main problem with the A&P right now is finding a program near Jacksonville that offers night courses. I have a full time job, part time job, and I'm still in the guard. Only place I know of in FL is the NBA and they are 3 hours away in Clearwater.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#8]
If you take the time to look at Federal job offerings, you will find that most above en entry pay-grade require either a Degree (often doesn't matter what, only that you have one generally relevant) OR years doing that job at a lesser grade.
Maybe that statement doesn't make sense, but look at USAjobs.gov and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.
I'm planning on adding Flight training to several other classes and courses that I've had to take over the last couple decades to parlay into a BS degree, just to be able to move up/out from where I'm at now.
IF the A&P Licenses is easy enough to get now with your history, then get it and use it to keep yourself afloat while you get that Bachelors degree: Keep this in mind it's easier to find a job when you have one, and there are a shit load of twenty somethings out there with a degree that are flipping burgers, because they don't know how to fix/build/make/repair/etc.  Even a basic mechanic can find work that'll pay the bills without servicing somebody that does.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#9]
If you could change your MOS to an aircraft mechanic on the Blackhawk or Chinook that would help you gain experience towards your A&P.  As an electrician/15F  your job doesn't help you much in obtaining your license.  

I say this because you don't necessarily have to go to an A&P school but rather through experience and training/OJT (documented) you can obtain your sign offs through a local FAA examiner.  Isn't there a huge MRO near Jacksonville like TIMCO?  There has to be someone near you that is a DME that can test you for the A&P in the future.  

I was a 68N/15N in the U.S. Army as well and I've been doing that type work for 27 years now.  Also, in the civilian world we don't differentiate between an avionics skill and electrical, they are both one in the same.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Rotary wing and turbines are great experience, but the tests mostly cover general aviation, general mechanical, general electrical, fixed wing, and reciprocating engines... So if you don't have experience outside of helicopters, you should brush up with some info on bugsmashers (light piston fixed wing).  It'll make things a little easier when you go for practical with an examiner.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#11]
A degree in aviation is not worth much outside of aviation other than just having a degree. Even in aviation it is not all that. Basically, a degree is a degree unless it is a specialty degree. You want to be a Dr, Lawyer, Engineer.... The degree matters. You want to be a manager and it really is less important. My company had a run there where they preferred to higer managers with accounting backgrounds over management degrees.

If you want to be an A&P.... Well, a degree is not needed.

I'd get my A&P and then get my degree in almost anything, part time, while you are working as an A&P.  That way you will have a degree (which is needed just to get that box checked) and will have real world A&P experience which is also needed.

I too, could not find a PT A&P school.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#12]
You should focus on the A&P first, that's the quickest way to a paycheck in the civ world.  There are plenty of jobs nationwide as well as overseas, I have a few buddies still turning wrenches and doing NDT at BIAP for big money.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#13]
With your three years wrenching on aircraft in the service, can't you get a signoff to take the test? 
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#14]
A degree opens many doors.  If it makes economic sense for you, finish it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:45:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I look at this way. A&P vs a degree.  The A&P gets you into doors.  The degree gives you a flexible job skill for management positions.

Sooner or later the job is going to take a toll on the body.  Getting a degree helps with future growth plans for a management position aka semi-retirement.

Just wrenching until 70.  I have seen it.  It all depends on the company you get in.

I am just waiting for the next 25 years to get my "Chuck Taylor sucker award."
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 4:17:10 PM EDT
[#16]
get your A @ P first. I wouldn't waste your money on a degree from embry Riddle. It's marketing bullshit. No one in the industry cares about it. I'd even go as far as saying a degree from there is a negative.  

You also don't need a college degree to get hired as a Aviation Safety Inspector with the FAA

. You want to be in the NTSB or DEA, FBI etc you need it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Baker School of Aeronautics
Contact the local FAA FSDO (Flight District Field Office) and ask to speak with the Maintenance Certification Inspector. Se if you can get signed off to test for your A&P Mechanic Certificate based on your military experience. Also contact the people at the above link. They are a cram course school designed to get you prepped to pass the tests. Good luck. 

IM sent
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With your three years wrenching on aircraft in the service, can't you get a signoff to take the test? 
View Quote
I don't know, honestly. I haven't touched an aircraft in almost 4 years and I didn't have any of my hours of maintenance documented. Does the time alone count or do I have to have documentation of every job I did on every airframe?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#19]
You need 18 months of experience for the airframe or powerplant licenses, 30 months for the A&P signoff. Either call or stop by your nearest FSDO. When I got my tickets signed I had my complete work history printed out, made life easier. Also be aware that not all Rates/MOS/Specialty codes qualify for the A&P, some are either/or.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Another option, if you want to stay in aviation, is an engineering degree.  An engineer with hands-on experience is like shiny gold to a lot of companies.  You won't get much chance to be hands-on yourself, but there are positions that can at least get you out to the aircraft regularly.  

In my small department, we have one guy who was an A&P for an airline, another did electrical on helicopters in the Marines, two others started off here as A&Ps before moving up to engineering, and one guy who just left was a sheetmetal mechanic in the Navy.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:24:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You need 18 months of experience for the airframe or powerplant licenses, 30 months for the A&P signoff. Either call or stop by your nearest FSDO. When I got my tickets signed I had my complete work history printed out, made life easier. Also be aware that not all Rates/MOS/Specialty codes qualify for the A&P, some are either/or.
View Quote
This is good info, your electrician MOS probably won't qualify you for an airframe ticket let alone the powerplant.  But it doesn't hurt to try to at least get your General and Airframe at least.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I look at this way. A&P vs a degree.  The A&P gets you into doors.  The degree gives you a flexible job skill for management positions.

Sooner or later the job is going to take a toll on the body.  Getting a degree helps with future growth plans for a management position aka semi-retirement.

Just wrenching until 70.  I have seen it.  It all depends on the company you get in.

I am just waiting for the next 25 years to get my "Chuck Taylor sucker award."
View Quote
Agreed.  

There are universities other that Embry Riddle that offer degrees in aviation maintenence that are less expensive, and also give more credits toward your A&P.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I got my degree from Embry-Riddle in the late 80s. Aviation Technology (A&P and avionics).....it got me in the door at a major airline right out of college. Once I left there it helped me move into my next career. I'm not sure what it costs these days but that degree was worth it to me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#24]
4 year degrees open doors later down the road.  

just the way it is, right or wrong
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll recommend transfering or just enlisting in the Air Guard. In my experience, there were far more A&P full timers, and the Air Force has a program to train and prepare you for the A&P test for free.  There are also about 3 times the amount of full time tech positions as well.

Don't forget about longevity of jobs as well. Do you want to be pushing a tool box when you're in your 50s? I'd recommend a 4 year degree no matter what you do so you're limiting your future potential.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top