Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Dupe city
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#2]
"Their fortune was not as good as mine. EKG"
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:57:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Some interesting items from the ATC tape...

-windshear reported minutes prior

-winds were 320 @ 18 gust to 32

-circling to land runway 1

-tower asks "are you going to start that turn" (to final I'm guessing)
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in BIL... where this jet was based. I had seen/heard it in the pattern on multiple occasions. One time it was even in formation with another Lear 35. The 35s have always been my favorite Lears in terms of aesthetics. And one does not often fail to notice a red bizjet!

From the "small world" files... my good friend is a longtime NetJets captain (Citation Ultra and Excel) and texted me not long after the crash. He and his FO had flown out of Teterborough a few hours prior to the accident and he stated that winds were very gusty. They flew to PHL and his FO actually chatted with the crew of this Lear while there, before that crew flew to NJ. Wacky coincidence (though my Billings-based friend had not had contact with the doomed crew that day).
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I've gone into TEB in identical conditions.  It's a very fast-paced environment, and circling to land shouldn't be difficult (it's no different than flying a pattern, really!) but in that environment with everything else going on it can be.
The PF probably overshot the turn to final and increased bank angle to catch it.  Then instead of unloading the wing he pulled up to tighten the turn and catch glidepath to the runway.   Classic base to final stall, can happen in any airplane.
In the CJ3, the airplane is a lot more forgiving at those speeds and bank angles than in the Lear.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed, lest the ground rise and smite thee!!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:36:19 AM EDT
[#7]
We were getting a FBO ride from the hotel the other day.  The driver stopped and showed us the crash scene.  They were repairing the two buildings that got hit.  The whole crash scene was less than a couple hundred feet long.  It was weird and somber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top