Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2017 11:18:03 AM EDT
Flew in to a little podunk airport - Cottonwood, AZ P52.  There's no uber available in town.  Just taxi service.  I saw a couple reports here and there that a crew car was available, but couldn't get ahold of the airport manager to ever find out.  Either way, we went.  Figured worst case if we had to walk, it was only 2 miles to "downtown".  

When we got there, we headed over to the terminal.  Doors were all locked up, but it had a signs saying the courtesy car could be checked out by calling such and such number which was listed inside the building.  Darn.  Then I saw another little note saying the key code to get into the terminal was the "Emergency Frequency".  NICE!  Unlocked the door, found the number, and called a guy who happened to be on the field working on his plane.  He cruised over and got us the keys to our very own 1991 Dodge Caravan.  SCORE!

Doors won't lock, window on the passenger side wouldn't roll down, paint was peeling all to hell on the driver's side but the AC blew ice cold!  My wife thought it was pretty freaking awesome that they would just toss the keys to any pilot who asked.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:37:58 AM EDT
[#2]
my favorite crew car, lots of funny looks driving around with it

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

I like the Atlantic at KBCT
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had a range of courtesy cars.

Alexandria, LA had BMW 650s.

Leadville, CO had a pair of 1980s Jeeps, one of which broke down on the ramp. They were nice enough to offer up their 1980's ambulance after that though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I got offered a van when I flew into Kearny, AZ.  I felt I was more likely to return from breakfast if I walked.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:02:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Millionair at Hobby has a couple Mercedes sedans for crew cars.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#7]
If I recall right, Millionair down in Tallahassee had a BMW 7 series.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Snip

My wife thought it was pretty freaking awesome that they would just toss the keys to any pilot who asked.  
View Quote

Tell her, they have your plane as collateral.  For most, the plane is work a lot more than the crew car.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#9]
At Midwest -LUK we had a late 1980s Oldsmobile Delta 88, pretty clean car.

Every once in a while we'd get a couple of fucktard plane flippers, who wouldn't buy their fuel at Sporty's. Keep the car all night, take all the popcorn and coffee, and never buy anything.

Flipping a 172 with a new and shoddy paint job. Paint had runs, piss poor masking and the wing had a texture of sandpaper. Kicked them off the ramp that night.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I love how many of us have abused the same cars all across the county.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:36:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I think Cutter at DVT had BMW's on loan from a dealer for awhile.

That didn't last 
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 6:20:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think Cutter at DVT had BMW's on loan from a dealer for awhile.

That didn't last 
View Quote
I always thought it would be brilliant for auto manufacturers to provide the crew cars at FBOs frequented by aircraft owners.

TLH always high end Mercedes or BMWs. FMY will give you a rental for free for two hours. Sheltair at KFRG had Escalades, IIRC, back when I was up there. My favorite crew car is at KMAI (Marianna Municiple in the panhandle). It's a late 1990s/early 2000s step-side Chevy pickup truck with leather interior. I will usually stop and put in a few gallons or top off the crew cars if the FBO is friendly, reasonably priced, accommodating, and I have the time.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I always put fuel in the crew/courtesy car, unless I have to pay to use it.

Best one I ever got was a convertible VW Super Bug.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top