Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2017 11:22:28 AM EDT
Looking at rental and instructor fees in the FAQ tab fit into this budget. But my real question is will I retain any training flying only 1-2 hours a month?
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:30:13 AM EDT
[#1]
It will take you much longer, and cost you much more.  1-2 hours a month isn't really even enough time to stay in practice once you have your PPL.

ETA: But yes, it can be done.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It will take you much longer, and cost you much more.  1-2 hours a month isn't really even enough time to stay in practice once you have your PPL.

ETA: But yes, it can be done.
View Quote
Agreed, it can be done but its not practical.  You'll have cross country flights that will bust that number.  Ideally you want to be in the plane as often as you can.  I'd suggest saving up about $5k and then starting if you have to work on a tight budget.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a grass strip airport near here that teaches in champs and cubs.  You can start out as a better pilot, and spend a lot less than you will in a 172.  Ask around.  What airport is local to you?  Someone here might point you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:59:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes it can be done, but is there any reason you can't make another $500 a month to throw at this effort?

Flying every four days till you get your private pilot certificate saves you a lot of money in the long run.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:44:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Find a small local school to let you do stuff in trade. Wash airplanes, work the phones/scheduling, even cleaning the office.

This may sound like 1960 talk, but I did it in 2014. After I got my private and renting at my school I had 55 hours. Became the front desk/phone guy, washed airplanes after hours, helped with 100 hour inspections etc. A year later I had 450 hours and got a job flying a PC-12.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I would highly recommend flying at least once a week.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#7]
You could take a lesson or two, but realistically, "Learning to fly" on $260 per month is a pointless and fruitless excercise.

To what end?      What are you trying to accomplish with it?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree with BOR.  General aviation is very expensive and inherently dangerous.  At 260/mo I would guess that it would take 3 years or so to get a license and you would be a marginal pilot at best.  It does not matter how much talent or natural ability you may have, flying that infrequently just isn't enough to maintain enough proficiency to be safe.

If you have a burning desire to have private pilot's license checked off if a bucket list then I would say do it.  Otherwise your $260/mo could be better spent elsewhere.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 7:03:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would highly recommend flying at least once a week.
View Quote
If that's not possible, I wouldn't go more than 10 days without flying.
I know that sounds stupid, but when you have such little time, you must keep practicing at a relatively small interval.
You'd be surprised how rusty you can get if you don't fly for two weeks.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:26:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Depends.  Some people yes some no.  

I have heard people say if you don't fly a couple times a week it will take way longer.  

Took me almost exactly one year flying a couple times a month.  I finished my requirements right at about 40.  Was ready for the test at about 50 and ended up burning another 10 to waiting for the test.

YMMV.  But I say do it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#11]
My answer to you would be starting with your glider private.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top