Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2017 5:11:53 PM EDT
A while back, I "inherited" an experimental homebuilt from my father, when his mind began to fail faster than his body.  I flew it some, and then life got in the way.  The airplane has been sitting in the hangar for a few years, I'd run it once in a while, but since it ended up out of condition inspection, it became a major PITA to get someone to come out.  So it sat.

Last month the guy I rented the hangar from gave us all 30 days notice, because they decided to tear it down, and build a new hangar home.

The last three weeks I scrambled to get it airworthy, and find a place to keep it.  Costs more than I remember for an A&P and avionics guy to come to your place.

Since it had been a few years since I've flown a small, single engine airplane, I even went out and got an hour of dual in a 152.  Hopefully I didn't give the really young CFI any gray hair, but it took a few landings to get back in the saddle.  Bigger difference than I remember, going from my work ride, to a light airplane.

Today I managed to move it the seven miles (all under class B, scary stuff that VFR flying) to it's new temporary home, without bending anything, or violating any airspace.  Her new "patio hangar" isn't ideal, but it will have to do for now.  Hopefully it won't blow away in the spring storms.

Link Posted: 4/6/2017 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#1]
That's an interesting little bird. Rotax 912 engine?

I've thought about renting a GA plane lately but it's been years since I flew anything that small.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad you didn't do a John Denver.  You need to get her out more often.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice a/c except for the tinted window in the back
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's an interesting little bird. Rotax 912 engine?

I've thought about renting a GA plane lately but it's been years since I flew anything that small.
View Quote
It is a pretty interesting Airplane, it's a Pazmany PL-1.  Mine was finished in 1975 from the first 20 sets of plans he sold.  The FAA only shows 14 of them still on the registry.
These were all built by hand, no quick build kits, or pre-fab parts.  I have the original builders plans with the airplane.

The Taiwanese built 58 PL-1B's and used them for primary trainers.  At least one was built by the Vietnamese military, and the Sri Lankan and Indonesian Air Force's also built and used a variant for primary training.

Mine has a Lycoming O-290-G motor.  125 HP, with a warp drive composite, ground adjustable prop.  It was originally a ground power unit motor, converted to aircraft use.  Apparently that was pretty common back in the day, when those engines were cheap and plentiful.  Today it's a different story, major parts are really expensive for the O-290's.  The Taiwanese airplanes used an O-320.  That extra 25HP would make the performance more interesting.  I get about 120 MPH, on 7.5 GPH.

Depending on the last time you flew GA, be prepared for some sticker shock.  I paid $130 for one hour of dual in the 152.  172's around here are close to $150/HR wet.  It is kind of fun, however to fly the small airplane again.  It's a little unnerving, crossing the fence at 60, instead of 140, and my patterns were so wide, it made him laugh.  I do remember, as a CFI checking out an Eastern 727 FO in the 172, so I can sympathize with the instructor.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 4:49:26 AM EDT
[#5]
It's cute. I want one 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top