Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2017 3:18:34 PM EDT
Working on lesson plan's today and the rest of this week for my lesson on Saturday with my instructor and I'm having a hell of a time getting started for "Aircraft System's". I've got the Jeppesen Flight Instructor book out, Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and Aviation Instructor's Handbook out but i'm feeling overwhelmed with it at the moment for some reason. Any advice or words of wisdom?

I don't want to copy someone else's work like i've heard some Instructor's do. I actually want to be knowledgeable in these area's i'm going to be teaching.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Think back to when you learned the material and what worked for you.  Put yourself back in the position of a student and layout how you'd like the material presented to you.  At first all you want to do is get something on paper. You can (should) revise it after that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Also, try to visit a Flight Service Station sometime. They always have lots of FAA published handouts on various subjects. Grab them and put them in your manual in the appropriate chapters. Examiners love to see people availing themselves of government handouts. Plus, they can make for handy instructional aids when you get to that topic.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm only a student pilot, but this feedback might be helpful, as I am somewhat of a unique student.  That is, I used to teach the motorcycle safety course, and in my state, they were hard us from an education standpoint.

Presenting information to a student in a way that helps YOU may sound helpful, and it certainly makes it feel easier to YOU, but in the end it may not help the student.  My advice, 1.) be prepared to present the information in a slightly different way in order to facilitate the student's learning style, and 2.) find an online ground school you like and recommend it to the student if you think they aren't learning the information efficiently enough.

Everybody learns in a different way, and there are some primary learning "styles" that greatly inform how information can be presented.  Some by reading, some by listening, some have to be shown, etc.  The student probably won't tell you what style they like, you'll have to figure it out by paying attention to what they respond to best.

My CFI is knowledgeable and a great pilot, and so far can present things academically fairly well, but when I drill down into a concept with additional questions (due to my scrupulous nature), he has a tendency to struggle with that.  He reacts as if he doesn't understand the question or whatever.  I'm not ready to switch just yet, because when I just do what he tells me to do and not apply my own made up scrupulosity (which usually translates to, "don't worry about that, just do this"), things go fairly well.

Otherwise, if this feedback is not useful, then ignore it.  73 and clear skies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top